First post and Charvel help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post and Charvel help.

First off I'd like to wish every member of the jcf forum a happy new year (a bit late but who cares).

I found what I think is a model 4 on Ishibashi. Here are some pics:

So according to the info and photos I have found, this is an 86 model 4.

1) Is it?
    2) Has the behind-the-nut locking mechanism have tuning stability problems?
    3) Can it play many kinds of metal (from 80s to black and death)?
    4) Can anybody who has experience with Ishibashi tell me if they pack guitars that come with a soft case well?

Also, if it makes any difference, my amp is a Marshall tsl60 jcm2000 head.

Thanks in advance, Andreas.

It looks like an '86 Model 4. It's hard to see all the details, but I think I see the 3 knobs that indicate the midboost circuit, and that looks like a flatmount Kahler. The behind-the-nut lock works well as long as there is no wear (excessive grooves) on the locking plates. They can be replaced if there are wear issues. It can play any style of music. You may decide to replace the pickups with something more to your liking, but that's true of any guitar.

Comment

1) Absolutely
      2) Shouldn't have any issues unless it's worn like dg said or the strings get hung on the nut.
      3) It's built for metal. I threw an old SD in mine and get a great 80's Ratt/Dokken sound. Shouldn't have a problem dialing in the sound you want with your Marshall.
      4) No experience with them personally, but if you do a search here you'll find they are very well known and you'll see nothing but good things about them.

Hope this helps.
      My gear
      87 Charvel Model 6
      86 Charvel Model 4
      93 Jackson RR EX
      93 Jackson Kelly STD
      88 Ibanez RG560
      99 Schecter Diamond C-7
      Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Great guitar! The bridge pup is a J50BC which, on paper, is relatively low output (8 or 9 KOHM or so) and not a "metal" pickup per se. However, combined with the active electronics, it really roars.

Comment

One of my first Charvels was an '86 model 5 with the Kahler and locking nut behind the trem. I've had model 4's like this as well. I was NOT a big fan of that style of nut. Similar to washburn, deans had em too - kahler. I eventually resold the 5. To me Kahlers sound different than floyds outside of the usual argument of feel (tonally warmer really IMO - which some like)... personal dealio (I guess one could call it an idiosyncrasy) & choice. Considering those models really did not have an actual floyd, (JT-6) I guess its kind of moot.

I like model 4's however, still have a couple. The JE1200 is a nice add as I like the tonal shaping. The stock bridge pu is ok... (BC) not high output.. its a balanced pup. I was never a fan of those J200 singles tho (lacking clarity IMO) and much prefer the J100 tones for a single - buzzy as they are.

That looks to be in great shape and very clean. Should be a solid buy.
          Last edited by charvelguy; 01-10-2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the answers.

I have sent them an e-mail asking what condition it's in. If they answer saying it's in good condition, I will hopefully buy it tomorrow.
            I'll post pics when/if I get it.

Comment

Good luck! It looks minty in these pics.

Comment

That looks like a sweet unit... I love these, Kahler and all!
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

I have a Model 4 neck on my Star and I really like it. Good luck on this, Andreas!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

They didn't answer today, so I have to wait until tomorrow.

Btw, being a big Gus G fan, I really like the Star shape.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreasD View Post
                      Btw, being a big Gus G fan, I really like the Star shape.
                      Then cool, here's a pic:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That's a nice Star.

They didn't answer today either. If it's in as good condition as it looks like it is in the pics, then someone will probably buy it soon, and I wouldn't like that

EDIT:

I was right. It's gone. Damn...

I guess I'll have to wait until one pops up on here...
                        Last edited by AndreasD; 01-12-2010, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X