Ibanez SZ Series guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez SZ Series guitars

Anyone else own one? I bought an SZ320 a couple weeks ago and threw in a set of EMG's - 85 in the bridge and 89 in the neck, and I gotta say its a pretty sweet guitar, especially for the price. The neck is Les Paulish but not quite as thick. The guitar is all mahogany as well, but not overly heavy (compared to my LPC). Plus I think it looks sexy all in black with natural binding around the top.

Here are a couple pics!

Ignore the crappy picture taking - my photo taking skills are extremely lacking.

That is very nice especially with the EMG's.
    I really like the look and feel of these guitars. The necks are great and I like the Gibraltar III bridge. I just don't think you can find a better guitar for the money. I will be purchasing a SZ320 (brown sunburst) or an SZ320MH sometime this year.

Comment

I used to own one of them. I did really like it but i thought after a while the stock pickups lacked something. Good choice with the EMG's. They do play really well
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[QUOTE=aldog1330]Anyone else own one? I bought an SZ320 a couple weeks ago and threw in a set of EMG's - 85 in the bridge and 89 in the neck, and I gotta say its a pretty sweet guitar, especially for the price. The neck is Les Paulish but not quite as thick. The guitar is all mahogany as well, but not overly heavy (compared to my LPC). Plus I think it looks sexy all in black with natural binding around the top.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've got a SZ520. I like it a lot. It compares very favorably to my
        '76 LPC, in tone and playability. I really like the 25.1" scale. Mine's
        strung with 10s, but after going from 25.5" scale whammy-equipped
        gtrs to the SZ, the strings bend sooo easily, to the extent that I
        think I'll try the SZ with 11s next time...

Construction is really nice. Love the molded-in neck joint. I
        could do without the "Swedish Erotica" inlay, but hey, it's a
        good "conversation starter!"

Only gripe is that the 'quilted' top appears to be some kind
        of photo-flame-like finish. Anyone else found that to be true?

theo

Comment

I tried one of those out the last time I was in the market for a guitar and was impressed. It was the first time I considered getting a non 24.75" scale guitar. When I'm in there trying stuff out that's the one I usually pull off the wall now. I actually went in to buy it once but the salesperson treated me like crap so I walked away.

Comment

I've got a 520 and I love it. As stated, the stock pups, in a word, suck. Gonna be throwing in a JB and Jazz soon. My quilt doesn't look fake at all. It's deep and it moves nicely.. I'd give it a closer look when I play it tonight.

Comment

The quilts are nice, even if photoish, on the 520's. I almost bought one, but I picked the 320 up and fell in love with it, then got it discounted because of a few scratches on the back. Black scratches easily and shows marks even easier, so I'm not gonna complain that someone popped it's cherry before me, especially when $75 is at stake!

Comment

I really like these and all is neaded is the pickup change. I love the tone of all mahogany!! Jack.

Comment

I looked at mine, and I see no "photo flame" look to it. It's deep, it moves, everything you'd expect from a nice quilt..

Comment

I don't think thats photo flame. Thats a real top.

Comment

Agreed totally. Photo flames have no movement when you turn them. Real quilt/flame has an iridescent look to it. My SZ has that look to it. It's kind of like looking at a picture of the sun vs. actually looking at the sun. The picture is easy to look at, it's just a flat picture. The sun will burn out your retinas lol Yes folks, my SZ will burn out your retinas if you look directly at it. I wonder if Spinal Tap is aware of these guitars' special abilities?

"This one goes to 11"

Comment

Working...
                      X