Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boutique builders like Tom Anderson/Suhr that do Jackson-esque shapes/specs etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boutique builders like Tom Anderson/Suhr that do Jackson-esque shapes/specs etc?

Hey guys,

So I've really been into the boutique superstrat mkers like Tom Anderson, Suhr, Vigier etc. However, (and why I come to you guys), all these companies do a rather basic superstrat style, and not even like a Solosit/Dinky more "metal" style superstrat.

I posted on different sites asking this, and almost everyone recommended Jackson USA, so I decided to come here asking about alternatives. Nothing against Jackson of course, but considering ideally I like Warrior and Rhoads esque shapes, as well as SS frets and 43mm nut width, currently from Jackson I have to scour Reverb hoping for a custom to show up, or order a Custom select myself and pay more than I'm willing and wait years for that.

I was thinking probably Sully fit the bill best (ESP USA would be an option, but their V is 42mm nut width), but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Amfisound comes to mind?

http://www.amfisound.fi/gallery/extreme/
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but apparently Amfisound is out of business.

Comment

I think this is an interesting question. it's made relevant by the fact that custom jacksons are so encumbered by dollars and time, like you said.

I've wanted to ask another particular open-ended question for some time. has any guitar builder in the history of ever made a headstock which is as cool as jackson's? the jackson pointy is just such an outstanding combination of sleek, elegant, and aggressive. it's literally perfect. the designer really hit it out of the park. I know the story goes that randy had grover design the headstock like that, but I've got to imagine that somewhere along the way there was somebody who was a professional designer/artist who did all the fine tweaks to make it what it is.

the headstock is so perfect that even copies cannot come close. notably, the ESP lawsuit-era headstock is nowhere near as balanced-looking Jackson's. maybe it's the logo; maybe it's fine details about the shapes/angles. I'm not sure. but as far as I know, nobody has ever made such a perfect design, aesthetics-wise.

so I have an open request to guitar builders: design a new headstock which is equally as cool! if I knew how to design such a thing, I would.

Comment

I might be biased but Carvin did it better than ESP (the headstock copy) but then added their own touch by adding curves to it.
          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I find the carvin/kiesel pointy-6 to be less elegant than the jackson. it's like the bc rich pointy-6 in that it's got this fat clunkiness to it, at least in comparison to jackson's. granted, both are aesthetically good, just not as good as j/c pointy. the j/c headstock takes center stage, whereas others kind of seem like they were added on just because.

Comment

Maybe it’s unpopular but I think Caparison has the best headstock

Comment

i love the caparison headstock. it is very elegant and also unique. though, it's not as aggressive at jackson's.

Comment

Originally posted by jco5055 View Post
                  Hey guys,

So I've really been into the boutique superstrat mkers like Tom Anderson, Suhr, Vigier etc. However, (and why I come to you guys), all these companies do a rather basic superstrat style, and not even like a Solosit/Dinky more "metal" style superstrat.

I posted on different sites asking this, and almost everyone recommended Jackson USA, so I decided to come here asking about alternatives. Nothing against Jackson of course, but considering ideally I like Warrior and Rhoads esque shapes, as well as SS frets and 43mm nut width, currently from Jackson I have to scour Reverb hoping for a custom to show up, or order a Custom select myself and pay more than I'm willing and wait years for that.

I was thinking probably Sully fit the bill best (ESP USA would be an option, but their V is 42mm nut width), but any other suggestions?

Thanks!
                  Sully 100% if you're not already following him, he's on Facebook and Instagram.Sully Guitars Conspiracy Series And Small Batch Run Group
                  What I can't tell you is how often he does customer orders. I know he's about to do another run of his 622's you'll want to be on his email list for updates on run/slot 6

In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post

Sully 100% if you're not already following him, he's on Facebook and Instagram.Sully Guitars Conspiracy Series And Small Batch Run Group
                    What I can't tell you is how often he does customer orders. I know he's about to do another run of his 622's you'll want to be on his email list for updates on run/slot 6
                    Yeah thanks, he's definitely on my mind! I just have to decide if I want jackson-esque aesthetics over build quality, since it seems like most would agree Tom Anderson for example probably has Sully beat in terms of overall quality...but I love pointys haha.

Comment

Yeah thanks, he's definitely on my mind! I just have to decide if I want jackson-esque aesthetics over build quality, since it seems like most would agree Tom Anderson for example probably has Sully beat in terms of overall quality...but I love pointys haha.
                      My Sully Concorde is flawless so I'm certainly not on the "Tom Anderson for example probably has Sully beat in terms of overall quality" boat. And I don't think Grover Jackson would work with him if his quality wasn't outstanding. I don't know who "most" is but I have to wonder if any of them even own a Sully guitar or Tom Anderson's for that matter.
                      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Oh?
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully and Plon can build any guitar from wood and make them look exactly as you wish. Neither are active on here much but if someones on face book they might know both. plon staredt a soloist for and it looked like a jackson to a T. . I wanted a reverse headstock single hum soloist and he had it almost finished and I ended up trading one of his friends it for a usa gibson.
                          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

But I like Carvins too don't think their as bad as a BC Rich

101_1037.jpg
                            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post

Oh?
                              Hey Sully! No offense meant, it;s just that (and you might have seen it yourself) if you spend enough time on guitar forums or facebook groups, you'll see numerous people swear on their mother's graves that Anderson (or Suhr or Tyler or PRS etc etc) make the absolute best guitars in the world...not saying I agree with them at all but for better or worse "metal" shapes/builders get looked down upon a bit, more of a "well if you need that aesthetic go with them otherwise go Anderson" etc kinda thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X