No announcement yet.

Warming up to LTD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had recently picked up a Zep. Or, at least, an ESP/Zep mutt. Zep serial plate, ESP logo on the headstock.
    It was quite nice. But I didn't keep it long enough to give it an honest workout. Someone saw it and made an offer.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
      I had recently picked up a Zep. Or, at least, an ESP/Zep mutt. Zep serial plate, ESP logo on the headstock.
      It was quite nice. But I didn't keep it long enough to give it an honest workout. Someone saw it and made an offer.
      Hmm, interesting I had never heard of Zep. Did a quick google search. Learn something new every day.

Comment

Nor did I. What had caught my eye was the Esp logo in the image, but the title said the word Zep.
        So, I immediately thought it was some kind of spell check or something. Upon opening the ad and then doing a quick search.... odd that it had a Zep serial plate and Esp headstock logo. But it had to be mine.

Comment

Well I spent some more time with it. I like it and think I'll leave the JB alone for now. Took some measurements on the neck. Confirmed what it felt like that it is a touch thicker than my fusions but is thinner than my 650xl. The profile also feels more like the 650xl as well as it doesn't flatten out as much but is more rounded. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it but we'll see how I feel when the new wears off.

Comment

is that the "thin u" or the "extra thin u"? I really like all the "extra thin u" ESPs and LTDs I've had. the "thin u" feels a bit chunky to me.

I really like my '87 series ltd mirage deluxe. I also have a '87 series ltd m-1 custom that is also good but I don't really play it as much as the mirage. the tone on the m-1 seems to lack the midrange I'm accustomed to. I've tried swapping all kinds of pickups to no avail. which is weird because it sounds great unplugged. also have an esp standard series m-1 ntb I play a lot that has a really great tone.
            Last edited by metalhobo; 11-19-2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
              is that the "thin u" or the "extra thin u"? I really like all the "extra thin u" ESPs and LTDs I've had. the "thin u" feels a bit chunky to me.

I really like my '87 series ltd mirage deluxe. I also have a '87 series ltd m-1 custom that is also good but I don't really play it as much as the mirage. the tone on the m-1 seems to lack the midrange I'm accustomed to. I've tried swapping all kinds of pickups to no avail. which is weird because it sounds great unplugged. also have an esp standard series m-1 ntb I play a lot that has a really great tone.
              It is the "Thin U". I would probably like the "Extra Thin U" better but it seems the '87 Eclipse is the only one that doesn't use it. I also like a 43mm nut better than the 42mm but I guess I made a couple sacrifices to get the 24.75" scale length I like. Here is the thickness at the 1st 3rd and 12th frets for the Eclipse vs my Fusion Std. which probably has my favorite neck and my Charvel 650xl.

'87 Eclipse Jackson Fusion Std. Charvel 650xl
              0.806" @ 1st* 0.752" @ 1st 0.804" @ 1st 0.797" @ 3rd 0.752" @ 3rd 0.810" @ 3rd
              0.852" @ 12th 0.745" @ 12th 0.938" @ 12th

*Note the '87 Eclipse is 0.878" at the center of the 1st fret. because of the volute. Measurement in the chart is at the fret. All of the measurements on all guitars are centered between the frets.

Also I noticed on ESP's custom order for they have a "Thin Flat" and an "Extra Thin Flat". Iwonder if one of those feels more like a Jackson though I can't find a guitar on their site that uses either one so maybe it's custom order only. I don't have nor see me having the money any time soon if ever but I wonder what ESP's custom shop price and lead time is vs. Jackson.

Comment

Well that was a hot mess and it won't let me edit it. Here are the thicknesses in an easier to read format.

'87 Eclipse
                0.806" @ 1st fret edge. 0.878" @ 1st fret center.
                0.797" @ 3rd
                0.852" @ 12th

Jackson Fusion Std.
                0.752" @ 1st
                0.752" @ 3rd
                0.787" @ 12th

Charvel 650xl
                0.797" @1st
                0.810" @ 3rd
                0.938" @12th

Comment

wow that fusion neck is really thin and uniform which sounds awesome for me. i hate necks that get overly thicker up the strings.

grats on the ngd anyway!!

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                    wow that fusion neck is really thin and uniform which sounds awesome for me. i hate necks that get overly thicker up the strings.

grats on the ngd anyway!!
                    Thanks. If you like thin the Fusion EX neck I have on my Fusion HH body is even thinner.

Fusion EX
                    0.735 @ 1st 0.733 @ 3rd
                    0.789 @ 12th

Comment

I bought an EC1000 with Duncans and EverTune. Pre-owned. I like it.
                      8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Working...
                      X