Warming up to LTD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming up to LTD

So I have always kinda looked down my nose at LTD. I don't have a good reason I guess. I mean I've always drooled over ESPs but always viewed LTD as a budget brand. I know that once you get into the 400/ 1000 series this isn't the case. I had an LTD MH-1000 Deluxe for a year or two and it was the nicest guitar I had at the time. I traded it for a Jackson Fusion Std. Which in a way was the beginning of the end for Jackson and I. I fell in love with the 24.75" scale and went through a period of GAS where I built a Charvel Fusion Deluxe from Ebay parts and another one using a Jackson Fusion HH body and a Fusion Ex neck (still watching for an HH neck pop up). I also ended up with an LTD EX-260 during this time from a friend. I like the neck and it's 24.75" scale, but it just didn't balance right for me while standing. I traded it plus boot at a nearby Guitar Center for an LTD EC-401 in satin trans black with quilt maple top since I didn't have a LP styled guitar. I really like this guitar. Not as much as my fusions but close. Now as to losing interest in Jackson. They just don't make anything I'm currently interested in. A 24.75" scale neck-thru guitar with a Floyd. Enter LTD. I just discovered the LTD Eclipse '87 is a 24.75" scale and I've been kinda wanting a tele style body. I've also been drooling over the KH-3 re-issue or an EC-1000FR (Floyd Rose). Sorry Jackson. My next guitar may be another LTD.

What I wish any major metal guitar company would do is release a 24.75" scale length neckthru superstrat because that is a gap in the market. I imagine this is why the Charvel 750 is so revered. Yes it's technically a set-neck guitar but the heel has upper fret access like a neckthru guitar.

Even a 24.75" scale length bolt-neck superstrat is lacking in the current market, basically a currently-produced Jackson/Charvel Fusion.

If anyone knows of any, please let me know. Bridge choice isn't important... It can be a Floyd, TOM, or hardtail.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      What I wish any major metal guitar company would do is release a 24.75" scale length neckthru superstrat because that is a gap in the market. I imagine this is why the Charvel 750 is so revered. Yes it's technically a set-neck guitar but the heel has upper fret access like a neckthru guitar.

Even a 24.75" scale length bolt-neck superstrat is lacking in the current market, basically a currently-produced Jackson/Charvel Fusion.

If anyone knows of any, please let me know. Bridge choice isn't important... It can be a Floyd, TOM, or hardtail.
      I stumbled across this awhile back Friedman Amplification - NoHo 24 Guitars
      At $2700.99 to $3699.99 depending on bridge and finish friedman noho 24 guitar - Google Search I imagine it's priced out of the range of most people. An affordable superstrat is definitely lacking right now in 24.75" scale.

I mean how hard would it be to offer an X series soloist in 24.75"
      Last edited by Dak; 01-16-2022, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I loved my Alexi. I am not giving up my Jackson(s), but that was one hell of a guitar.
        My Eclipse(s) are nice, but are no Les Paul replacement, and certainly don't compare to my Jackson.

My concern with LTD, is the fact that... ESP is no longer 'ESP'. ESP has multiple choices, which makes even the top LTD an after thought.

*not to mention my general dislike for all things Hisatake Shibuya

Comment

I owned a Peavey Destiny Custom at one time. For a short scale guitar I actually kind of liked it. Not enough to keep it but I did like it and I for the most part do not care for short scale guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
            I loved my Alexi. I am not giving up my Jackson(s), but that was one hell of a guitar.
            My Eclipse(s) are nice, but are no Les Paul replacement, and certainly don't compare to my Jackson.

My concern with LTD, is the fact that... ESP is no longer 'ESP'. ESP has multiple choices, which makes even the top LTD an after thought.

*not to mention my general dislike for all things Hisatake Shibuya
            Don't get me wrong. I'm not getting rid of my Jackson/ Charvels. They just don't currently make anything I'm that interested in. I got excited about the Demmelition until I saw the scale. I understand about the Eclipse. I wanted a Les Paul stye with a neck that feels similar to my Jacksons. The EC-401 scratched that itch. I played a Gibson LP at the music store recently (a 2012 studio), for me I made the right choice as far as feel goes.

Funny that the guitar that actually started all this 24.75" scale stuff for me was a beat up Yamaha RGX 610M I got at a pawn shop for $60. It's neck just felt so good to me at the time. I mean it still feels good, my Fusions just feel a little better.

Comment

I just bought an ltd sd-2 a few weeks ago which coincidentally is my first gibson-scale "shredder" (as opposed to old man guitar) and is making want to go down that scale path even more. kinda also making me kick myself for not scoring a fusion pro or usa when I had the chances. though, I do still have to figure out the right string size for this...

re: gibson scale esps and ltds in general, there are are indeed some historical models which break the "only gibson shapes get gibson scale" mold. for instance, the esp jake e lee model was gibson scale, as were certain horizon "classic" models in the '90s. also, some maverick models have a gibson scale; i'd say the mavericks are probably the closest thing to a fusion, though their us presence is not super common. there were also some (or maybe just one....) signature series ltd super strats with gibson scale, like the ra-600. I know this isn't really helpful as I only listed ESPs (not LTDs) and/or rare sig models
              Last edited by metalhobo; 01-18-2022, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                I just bought an ltd sd-2 a few weeks ago which coincidentally is my first gibson-scale "shredder" (as opposed to old man guitar) and is making want to go down that scale path even more. kinda also making me kick myself for not scoring a fusion pro or usa when I had the chances. though, I do still have to figure out the right string size for this...

re: gibson scale esps and ltds in general, there are are indeed some historical models which break the "only gibson shapes get gibson scale" mold. for instance, the esp jake e lee model was gibson scale, as were certain horizon "classic" models in the '90s. also, some maverick models have a gibson scale; i'd say the mavericks are probably the closest thing to a fusion, though their us presence is not super common. there were also some (or maybe just one....) signature series ltd super strats with gibson scale, like the ra-600. I know this isn't really helpful as I only listed ESPs (not LTDs) and/or rare sig models
                I use 9's on my fusions, except the one I keep a whole step down in D std. I have 10's on it. I had stumbled upon the Maverick before but can't warm up to the body shape (or price they're as much as a 750XL), but man that RA-600 is almost my dream guitar and there was an LTD version. I say almost because I'm not a huge fan of single hum guitars but it checks the rest of the boxes. Superstrat/ dinky style shape-check, neck-thru-check, reverse headstock-check, 24.75" scale-check, 2 humbuckers-no, but that could be added even though I'd hate to kill the value by modding one.

Comment

That ESP Maverick shape reminds me of the Jackson Falcon (https://guitarinside.com/Grover_Jackson_Falcon_custom) which was pretty much the predecessor of the Caparison Horus.

What's under the pickguard of the RA-600? This Reverb ad suggests there's at least sufficient space for a neck humbucker. https://reverb.com/item/2307188-esp-...tt-kh-4-extras

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                    I do still have to figure out the right string size for this...
                    You should be able to go with the same gauge. I mean, that is, at least partially, why they feel different. Smaller scale length = less tension.
                    But, if you want to make a change, 1 size thicker is it.

Comment

which was pretty much the predecessor of the Caparison Horus.

One of these just popped up on my radar. Due to recent events, I am going to let it sit a few days before I approach.
                      These headstocks look so much cooler than Jackson's Smurf Hat.

Comment

What's under the pickguard of the RA-600?
                        looks like...https://www.metalguitarist.org/threa...-ra-600.62656/ ... nothing interesting. that specimen on reverb must have been routed after the fact.

Comment

Oh man that RA-600 with the neck pickop added makes me want to go on the hunt for one of those. I have a dremel and router attachment so routing the humbucker wouldn't be a problem (other than the neck getting in the way for the top edge of the pickup route). I might go with passive pups though. SD Distortion/ 59 combo maybe. On the other hand Izzy Stradlin played an original ESP eclipse in the Sweet Child'O Mine video and having the re-issue of that would be cool plus I'd almost prefer the Mahogony body.

Looking at those Maverick /Falcon pics make me wonder who's copying who.

Also they sell 9.5 gauge strings, at least DR and D'Addario do. I've wondered if they made the tension similar to 9's on a 24.75" guitar but I like the 9's so I never tried them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                            So I have always kinda looked down my nose at LTD. I don't have a good reason I guess. I mean I've always drooled over ESPs but always viewed LTD as a budget brand. I know that once you get into the 400/ 1000 series this isn't the case. I had an LTD MH-1000 Deluxe for a year or two and it was the nicest guitar I had at the time. I traded it for a Jackson Fusion Std. Which in a way was the beginning of the end for Jackson and I. I fell in love with the 24.75" scale and went through a period of GAS where I built a Charvel Fusion Deluxe from Ebay parts and another one using a Jackson Fusion HH body and a Fusion Ex neck (still watching for an HH neck pop up). I also ended up with an LTD EX-260 during this time from a friend. I like the neck and it's 24.75" scale, but it just didn't balance right for me while standing. I traded it plus boot at a nearby Guitar Center for an LTD EC-401 in satin trans black with quilt maple top since I didn't have a LP styled guitar. I really like this guitar. Not as much as my fusions but close. Now as to losing interest in Jackson. They just don't make anything I'm currently interested in. A 24.75" scale neck-thru guitar with a Floyd. Enter LTD. I just discovered the LTD Eclipse '87 is a 24.75" scale and I've been kinda wanting a tele style body. I've also been drooling over the KH-3 re-issue or an EC-1000FR (Floyd Rose). Sorry Jackson. My next guitar may be another LTD.

I still have most of my Jacksons, the three I sold (A Jackson Stars custom shop Rhoads back when that was a thing) KV5, and my Roswell Rhoads were all sold to keep a roof over my head during some dark times. But over the last couple years I have been buying up a bunch of Edwards (Another ESP company) as well as a MK-600, and Arrow 1000, and EC 1000, and three Shecters and a Sully. Outside of a SLX4 I haven't really been motivated to buy anything else Jackson. The fact that their MIJ guitars are now over 2k, I'll pass. They have priced me out. and haven't really released anything that's exciting. I wish it wasn't the case but it's just the way of things.
                            In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Thought I would update this thread. So I have watched Ebay and Reverb since this thread for an LTD RA-600. Probably looked almost every day. No luck. Was also torn between it and the Eclipse '87 because I'd almost rather have the Mahagony body the Eclipse has. So last week I found an Eclipse '87 on Reverb that had been reduced to $599.98. LTD Eclipse 87 PW White | Reverb It had damage to the binding and a chip in the paint about 1& 1/2 inches from the lower strap button. Looked perfect in the pictures other than that but it's the Pearl White one so defects don't show the best in pictures. Almost but didn't impulse buy it, and after thinking about it over the weekend I ordered it on Monday. Came in today. Looks like something hit it right on the edge and deformed the binding and chipped the paint. Small dent about an inch from the chip. Other than that, it looks mint. There does almost look like a small paint defect in the paint on the top where the neck meets the body. Like a seam in the paint. Have to use a jeweler's loop to see it though, unnoticeable to the naked eye. Still has the tag for the push/pull under the tone pot. I figure I can live with the chip to get one for half price. I think I will like it. Too soon to tell as it needs a setup. Action is high and I haven't plugged it in yet. Neck seems to feel good. Doesn't flatten out as much on the back as my Fusions but I think it'll work. I'll see once I get some play time on it. Had a good idea of what it'd feel like as specs say it's the same "thin U" profile as my EC-401. Skeptical about the JB pickup as I've had guitars I didn't care for them in so may eventually switch to a Distortion or try a Full Shred in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X