Buzz Feiten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz Feiten

My import Nuno allegedly came with the Buzz system. Since I put .10s and dropped it a half-step, and then went back to .09s, the intonation is all off. The G and the B are sooo sharp with open chords. The Floyd special is junk, too - that doesn't help much either. I emailed both Washburn and Buzz *twice* and of course - no reply. Gee thanks. Without having to pay a local guy, I'd like to learn it myself - where else can I find a PDF or info on how to properly intonate according to the Buzz tuning specs? Anybody know?
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

this is specific to 1. tom anderson's implementation of the system, and 2. the st-200/300 tuner, but the info should be able to be adapted for your case I hope

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...rogramming.pdf

Comment

1. yes, changing gauge will change intonation.
      1a. it will also unlevel a trem.
      2. there really is only one way to intonate - 12th fret/12th harmonic is either in tune or it is not.
      2a. there are varying thoughts on tuning a guitar to varying degrees of "in tune", but the 12th fret intonation has be accurate regardless of overall tuning method.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        1. yes, changing gauge will change intonation.
        1a. it will also unlevel a trem.
        2. there really is only one way to intonate - 12th fret/12th harmonic is either in tune or it is not.
        2a. there are varying thoughts on tuning a guitar to varying degrees of "in tune", but the 12th fret intonation has be accurate regardless of overall tuning method.
        What he said! I even check intonation changing to the same gauge of strings. I have an N2 and its no different.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

another option is that the peterson app has the buzz feiten intonation offsets built in as a selectable config: https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/
          edit: apparently the alternative temperaments are $10 upgrade in the app. kinda lame, but still cheaper than buying new tuner hardware to do it right
          Last edited by metalhobo; 05-13-2021, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
            My import Nuno allegedly came with the Buzz system. Since I put .10s and dropped it a half-step, and then went back to .09s, the intonation is all off. The G and the B are sooo sharp with open chords. The Floyd special is junk, too - that doesn't help much either. I emailed both Washburn and Buzz *twice* and of course - no reply. Gee thanks. Without having to pay a local guy, I'd like to learn it myself - where else can I find a PDF or info on how to properly intonate according to the Buzz tuning specs? Anybody know?
            Also not mentioned is that changing gauges also changes relief in you neck. May not be a big deal if you don't have it set to the lowest action you can get. If you have it at a mil or mil and a half (at the 12th fret) it certainly will.
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Pianoguy, yeah I intonated. The B string saddle cannot move up any further. All saddles, E to e, don't even look like they are supposed to. You know, kind of graduated toward the front of the Floyd base. In other words, my Floyd saddles do not look like the pic attached:
              https://images.app.goo.gl/aY1ZuZEvvGqRrngK7
              8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                2a. there are varying thoughts on tuning a guitar to varying degrees of "in tune",

to take this a step further:

Many digital pianos have built in 'alternate' tuning options. They use terms like
                equal, mean, stretch, baroque, western, arabic, pure
                And many more. Plus tunings within a key. And custom tunings. As well as the more simple things like "tune down half step" or 440 to 439.

Which is sort of what we are talking about when we say things like "tune A to A, but tune E 7-cents sharp"
                There is no "one" tuning that is correct and accurate to handle all music over all time periods.

Comment

Working...
                X