Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strathead parts build -- flakes, kahlers, and other stuff, oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outright Beautiful neck!

Also,
    What Razor said
    Last edited by JJ119; 11-19-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

thanks guys!

got to drill the neck holes, mount the neck, layout the bridge, and put on the tuners tonight. gonna try and string her up tomorrow.

Comment

got the fingerboard all buffed out and lustrous, did the string lock, and mounted the pickups. next up: wiring.

fuckups:
        - when I mounted the string lock it was too close to the nut and the strings rubbed against the body between the nut and the lock, so I had to move it back. no biggie, except now I have two visible holes which I filled in where the old position was...
        - I didn't order enough copper shielding. ordered some more last night.
        - I ordered the body with a 3/4" jack hole, which should fit anything. but, the open body jack I bought (also from warmoth) is a little bit too big to fit in there somehow. maybe the extra thickness from the finish is doing it. anyway, instead of trying to force it in there I decided to just order a deep barrel jack. should get here in time to finish everything before thanksgiving!
        Last edited by metalhobo; 11-23-2020, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
          got the fingerboard all buffed out and lustrous, did the string lock, and mounted the pickups. next up: wiring.

fuckups:
          - when I mounted the string lock it was too close to the nut and the strings rubbed against the body between the nut and the lock, so I had to move it back. no biggie, except now I have two visible holes which I filled in where the old position was...
          - I didn't order enough copper shielding. ordered some more last night.
          - I ordered the body with a 3/4" jack hole, which should fit anything. but, the open body jack I bought (also from warmoth) is a little bit too big to fit in there somehow. maybe the extra thickness from the finish is doing it. anyway, instead of trying to force it in there I decided to just order a deep barrel jack. should get here in time to finish everything before thanksgiving!
          Looks friggin' great! Did I just spot a Kahler behind the nut string lock? Impressive! Most impressive indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

Looks friggin' great! Did I just spot a Kahler behind the nut string lock? Impressive! Most impressive indeed!
            yep. I like to be able to cut the nut however I want instead of using a locking nut.

Comment

It's coming along great!

Comment

well I ended up getting the shielding on like Friday so that's when I finished her up. natural light in the basement was looking good today so I snapped a few shots. enjoy! it's a lot of fun to photograph this finish in the light

my weird fucked up family of step brothers

the paf pro sounds super nice! very open.

Comment

¡!!¡ CONGRATULATIONS ¡!!¡

GREAT Job!!
                  She is ABSOFREAKINLUTLEY Beautiful!!

Comment

Badass!
                    Those flakes really pop in the direct sunlight.

Comment

thanks man!

I dropped it off today to get a plek setup, cuz why the hell not? should be ready on friday.

Comment

That looks fantastic! Loving the flame on that neck.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I can't decide what's more outrageous, the flame or the flake!

Comment

those shiny spots are awesome in the light
                            i like things that sparkle

Comment

got it back from the tech yesterday. this is the second time I've had a guitar I already owned set-up by someone other than myself. the first time was when my charvel needed a fret-level due to wear. this time I decided to go for a plek since there was a tech with one not terribly far from me, and it wasn't much more money than a manual fret-level which was needed anyway.

first impressions of the plek? fretwork is excellent, playability is excellent, tuning/intonation is excellent, but is it significantly better than a manual job? not that I can tell, so far. I'll probably do an update after I spend some more time with it.

after I got it back, I spent about half an hour this morning lubing up all the necessary components of the bridge and nut: oil on the roller saddles, and graphite on the nut. all the strings are now perfectly stable except for the G string (isn't that always the troublemaker?). I figure it's binding somewhere on bridge side or the nut, so I'll look into it a bit later. hopefully it'll resolve.

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                              I can't decide what's more outrageous, the flame or the flake!
                              the guitar is carefully calibrated so both components are exactly equally outrageous, and therein lies the key

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              those shiny spots are awesome in the light
                              i like things that sparkle
                              I'm real excited to see how it does under the stage lights. hopefully not too long, now!

Comment

Dude that is insane! Congratulations! And that looks right at home with the other family members!

Comment

Working...
                                X