ESP LTD Edwards education needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP LTD Edwards education needed please

So I'm going to be purchasing a LTD MK-600 this week and possibly an Edwards I have seen on ebay.

So first- anyone have any experience with the MK-600? It looks to have Double Rhoads length wings

So ESP is the custom shop, E-II is their standard series(?) and LTD is their Epiphone level?

That makes Edwards what?

I have an LTD Horizon I bought in the late 90's and it's a great guitar so I don't have much fear of the LTD line (despite the epiphone reference) But I'm unclear if Edwards is higher end then LTD or on par or what is up with it.

thanks
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I believe the Edwards line is the tier between the ESP and LTD line, available for the overseas market.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd take an Edwards or Navigator over LTD. Edwards is for the Japanese market, and usually MIJ, though there may be some less expensive models made elsewhere. I'd say they're on par with WMI Korean builds, some nicer, some not as nice depending on the particular guitar.

LTDs come in various grades. The higher the number, the better the quality. The high end LTDs are made at WMI Korea, those are mostly the 1000 series and the best guitars you can buy.

Supposedly there is going to be an LTD Elite that will be made in Japan. A few LTD artist sigs have also been made in Japan in the past, but that's the exception, not the rule.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Here's a semi-recent reply I made to a question about Edwards quality, based on having owned my Edwards since 2005. Original thread: https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...stom?p=1666116

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        Online, the general consensus seems to be that Edwards is placed in between E-II (the former ESP Standard Series) and LTD.

Unfortunately, my sample size of ESP and its umbrella brands is too small to corroborate that, since their guitars are not too commonplace in my area and I haven't played enough examples of each sub-brand to be able to arrive at broad generalizations, and I try to be fair in evaluating each guitar based on its own individual merits.

All I know is that this Edwards is wonderful, as is my ESP Mirage Custom. I also couldn't find any fault with the LTD EC-1000 I briefly owned.
        I love to browse specs and photos of Edwards guitars online, much like admiring the Japanese-market Jackson brands (such as Grover Jackson and Jackson Stars) where some of their minor spec differences are very appealing and wondering why we can't have similar guitars for the North American and worldwide market.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          I'd take ... Navigator over LTD.
          I'd take a Navigator over almost anything. Those are at the same level or higher as the ESP CS.

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          Supposedly there is going to be an LTD Elite that will be made in Japan.
          There was a Japanese LTD Elite line several years ago. It was the direct precursor to the E-II line as the ESP line was refocused to CS stuff. Are they reintroducing it? I understood they did the LTD Elite to E-II transition because of brand confusion.

Comment

So, I almost had to go to the emergency room today because I have a severe issue with GAS. Since doctors are expensive I just simply caved and ordered a Edwards E Fr 140 Gt Ba (Specifically this one : https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...je1llw3tso.jpg ), and the LTD MK-600 Double Arrow mille petrozza signature model* so... yeah... I survived but my bank account has a gaping hole in it now.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
              I'd take a Navigator over almost anything. Those are at the same level or higher as the ESP CS.
              There were various levels of Navigator. Everywhere from plain studio level to full on custom. They're all the same high quality standard though.

There was a Japanese LTD Elite line several years ago. It was the direct precursor to the E-II line as the ESP line was refocused to CS stuff. Are they reintroducing it? I understood they did the LTD Elite to E-II transition because of brand confusion.
              You know, I don't really remember. I thought I read it from last years namm? Maybe time has flied, but it was announced post-reorganization.
              Last edited by xenophobe; 03-22-2018, 05:42 AM.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

my MK-600 arrived, it's a W serial, pretty sure that's the Korean shop (which makes me very happy) If I'm wrong, just lie and tell me it is.
                So, first impressions out of the box - it dwarfs my Rhoads. I think the wings may be a bit longer but I'm not sure yet. One complaint because it's kind of stupid - the battery area is covered with a plastic cap held in with two screws.... I mean... really? There are battery boxes out there and I'm pretty sure I have seen them used on LTD's... Not the end of the world, just a little surprised. I haven't cranked this thing up yet, sadly I have a couple things to do first, but I will.

it's a very nice feeling guitar, we'll see how well I bond with those pickups

Comment

LTD artist signature models in the 600 range are equivalent in quality and prestige to the LTD Deluxe 1000 range, and are both made at the World Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. (WMI) factory in South Korea.

Congrats!

Comment

The wing on the MK-600 looks to be patterned off of the ESP Arrow shape, which is in turn patterned of Alexi Laiho's signature. It's pretty widely known that the AL shape is quite a bit larger than a Rhoads.

Looking at newer LTDs, it appears all of them have plate-covered battery cavity instead of the easy-access box. The ESPs seem to have retained the boxes. Personally I wish they'd ditch the battery compartment altogether and just put the battery in the control cavity.

Comment

Yup, the MK-600 is also called the Double Arrow. I had no idea that AL's was larger then the Rhoads, I'll have to check one of those out one of these days. I want an Arrow next, but I already have guitar #3 ready to order on Thursday, another made in Korea LTD, but that's all I'll say right now.

Those Fishman pickups are winning me over quick too, as "fucking aggressive" as the MK-600 looks, man that thing sounds awesome.

Comment

Working...
                      X