Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimated value of a GMW Strat head

Hi guys,
    I have a GMW Strat head, and consider selling it. What would you estimate as a fair sales price for this guitar?
    80's OFR and Duncan lil59 and JB.
    http://musikkweb.no/marked/gallery_a...423&aid=285268
    Last edited by Slashaxl; 11-29-2017, 08:43 AM.

1200 - 1500 I'd say.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Legit question: If it has the decal on it like that, is it not considered a forgery if you sell it as is?

Comment

....sorry guys, excuse me..what does GMW stand for??

A copy or fake??

Comment

GMW is Garver, Moser and Wilkins - I forget why it was named that exactly, but Lee Garver is the owner.

It would only be considered a forgery if the seller tried to pass it off as something it is not. And there's usually a few ways to tell if it's a fake charvel..
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            GMW is Garver, Moser and Wilkins - I forget why it was named that exactly, but Lee Garver is the owner.
            Thanx Neilli

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
              Legit question: If it has the decal on it like that, is it not considered a forgery if you sell it as is?
              Well, I would not try to pass it as a Charvel.
              As far as I know, this was built for Tom McDyne in Jonh Oliva’s Pain, who was a Charvel endorsee at the time, hence the decal

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                I thought the W was for Dan "Wizard" Lawrence who did the artwork.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

it was Wilkins, but he left at some point. When Dan started doing the paint that "wizard" title worked. & Neal Moser. IIRC Lee was a BCRich employee at one time. He was offered a bunch of BCRich 2nds by Bernie (depending on who's version of the story the # varies, but it was a triple digit #). All blanks that for some reason were tossed in a storage due to build issues. Neal was BCRs shop foreman, setup man and responsible for a lot of what BCR was, so Lee & Neal partnered to bring those blanks back to life.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  I thought the W was for Dan "Wizard" Lawrence who did the artwork.

Comment

Ah, I see. Cool.

Comment

I'd say $1000 for non GMW logo'd. Add $300+ for the logo.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        I'd say $1000 for non GMW logo'd. Add $300+ for the logo.
                        This one's got a Charvel logo.

Comment

There are a couple of problems with GMW values. And I'm only speaking about the old "rock replicas" that were done prior to the cease and desist, not the current stuff.

- They were copies of early Charvels, largely stratheads. Granted, this was a niche that was unfulfilled at the time, given J/C was precluded from making them. (Pre- Fender ownership, I mean.) And they were every bit as good. But a copy of something is never going to have as much value as the original. And now they're back in production by Charvel, which makes it that much harder on GMW values.

- They weren't serialized, and most weren't logo'd as GMWs. (Many buyers wanted to complete the Charvel look with aftermarket logos.) So there can be questions about authenticity. If you're "In the know", there are things you can look for. But fakes and parts guitars have come up from time to time.

It's too bad, the guitars themselves are top notch. But the values are basically held down by market factors, and that's pretty much always going to be the case now.

Comment

Agree 100% plus since they were built to order if someone wants a guitar w the exact options as the guitars u have then its worth more to them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Kind of where I pictures it would be.
                              Great guitar, so we will see if it stays or if it goes

Comment

Working...
                              X