Discoloured abalone inlay - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discoloured abalone inlay - advice needed

I have an ESP M-II with maple neck that is going to my tech for a stainless steel refret in September.

I have noticed that the bass side abalone inlay on the 24th fret has discoloured to a dark brown, almost black colour. It looks weird as all of the other abalone dot inlays are a perfect light blue/green colour.

My tech has suggested slicing away a very thin layer of the abalone from the discoloured inlay (on the proviso that the fretboard is not lacquered - to my knowledge I do not think it is?). Assuming the whole inlay has not discoloured, this may return the inlay to its nice blue/green colour.

If anyone else has has a similar problem with abalone I would interesting to hear if you managed to resolve it (and how). Or is it just something that has to be lived with?

I've never heard of that, but hell, anything can happen. I guess it could be shaved. Good luck with that!
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Why not just drill it out and install a new one? Seems easier than trying to shave down an existing inlay.

Comment

Thanks, I'll mention drilling it out to the tech

Comment

Working...
        X