Need advice/opinions: Peavey Destiny Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice/opinions: Peavey Destiny Custom

A pawn shop local to me has a Peavey Destiny Custom that came in recently. Asking price is $299.00 plus sales tax, and it does include a hard case. From what I've been able to find, these were USA made in Peavey's custom shop. Sounds like quality was pretty good, and most of what I can find on the interwebs seems like it's a pretty good deal. It has some dings, dents, scratches, and buckle rash, but no cracks or chips. It needs a setup badly as the Kahler Spyder ass is sticking wayyyy up in the air. It's a amber quilted maple.

I'm thinking about offering $250.00 out the door, but wonder if should turn down $299.00 out the door. This particular pawn shop isn't much on negotiating, and from what I see online it should be a $600.00 guitar. Am I right in my thoughts, or wrong.

In my opinion it won't move fast as we're well off the beaten path from civilization.

I haven't plugged it in, but my money is on everything working properly knowing the guys shop it's at. He normally discloses everything.
    Last edited by Razor; 06-03-2017, 05:04 PM.

$299 is pretty good, $250 would be better with the dings. These used to go in the range of $800~$1000 back in the day and in good condition go from $400~$600 now. I was always tempted to get one but never did, had a few Peavey Vandenburgs, and this was kinda like a neck-thru, normal headstock, S/S/H version of a Vandy to me (the Destiny is short scale like the Vandy)

https://assets.peavey.com/literature...s/80301041.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
      $299 is pretty good, $250 would be better with the dings. These used to go in the range of $800~$1000 back in the day and in good condition go from $400~$600 now. I was always tempted to get one but never did, had a few Peavey Vandenburgs, and this was kinda like a neck-thru, normal headstock, S/S/H version of a Vandy to me (the Destiny is short scale like the Vandy)

https://assets.peavey.com/literature...s/80301041.pdf
      Thanks for the information. I picked it up today. I got it for $265 out the door, and it came with the factory Peavey hard case. It needs lock nuts, and string locks. It has some whammy bar divots on the front and rear, but nothing through the finish. It needs a good setup, and frets polished. Frets are in nice shape. I'll post some pictures of it when I get home from work. I plugged it in at the shop, and the electronics work fine too. Who knows, I may end up keeping it since I don't have to worry about scratching or dinging it. The neck feels pretty damn good, and it's profile is very comparable to a Jackson neck. I have sold off most of my guitars, and hadn't had one "speak" to me in a while.

Comment

Comment

Wow, that's cool! Nice score.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This should be the nut clamp you need (with screw):
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/201680673073...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Same thing/same seller but cheaper on Reverb: (you need to buy 3)
            https://reverb.com/item/4624957-kahl...late-and-screw

Note that the screw with these clamps will work great, but your guitar most probably came with this screw instead:
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/191728046267...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This screw had a slot that was supposed to allow you to use a quarter coin to unlock, but I found that never worked well, best to use the allen wrench, but I've seen the allen wrench kinda 'blow out' the slot. I think the smaller head screw that comes with the clamp above is better.

Comment

Here's a good pic of that screw:
              http://www.axebition.com/sites/defau...-custom-02.jpg

Comment

You got a great deal on that. Here's one I sold on ebay for 400.00 a few years back. I would like to get another.
                METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I remember those.... those were amazing guitars that nobody wanted because Jackson, ESP, BCR owned almost the entire market for metal guitars back then. Lots of metal guitars from more traditional manufacturers were kind of ignored back then.

Nice looking guitar, and for $265? Totally undervalued. lol Grats!
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thought I would post some after set up pictures of it. I replaced the parts that were missing from it, and had to replace a few screws that were stripped. It was in dire need of a set up, and it went surprisingly smoothly even though I hadn't done a fresh set up in several years. It's held tune nicely for the past couple of weeks. Plays and sounds damn good, and I really dig the ebony fretboard. I feel like I have the Kahler pretty level, and it's zeroed pretty damn well. I figure I'll be holding onto this one as I had about 90 bucks in parts in it, which still has me in it at $355.00. I wish the previous owner hadn't dinged the hell out of the front of it, but it's not like I have to be worried about putting a ding or a scratch on her.

Comment

That is a badass USA guitar for so little money. Congrats!

Funny how the humbucker screw polepieces all line up.

It's 2017 already! Disable the timestamp function on your digital camera.

Comment

Looking good!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Nice thick cap looks like too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                            Nice thick cap looks like too.
                            It does. My best friend has a Carvin DC 400, and it has a super thick cap on it. This one is real close to it, not quite as thick, but real close.

Comment

I'm partial to neck thru guitars, and for the money this can't be beat. Would still have my last one if it hadn't been part of a trade for a USA Jackson.

Front.jpg
                              "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Working...
                              X