Thinking about a new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a new build

I have been thinking about doing another build for a while now in the charvel vein. I already have an HS socal and and an H build - both have tonezones in the bridge and i put an area 61 in the neck of the socal which i really like. the socal is floyd and the build is a gotoh 510 with the modern low contact block, which i find works pretty well.

i thought about another singlehum build at first, but straying away from that now with versatility in mind. It will defintely be a rear rout as both current guitars have pickguards.

my current faves are:

poss tonezone and humbcker from hell in the neck

but likely this (inspired by a charvel strat i think Tracey Jenkins bought a few years back)

i am thinking this would be a virtual solo in the bridge for more warmth/gain and 2 x area 61s in the neck

the bridge willbe another gotoh 510 unit again i think, locking tuners, graphtech tusq xl nut
    Last edited by sonicsamurai; 05-27-2017, 08:07 AM.

bit of an evolution on the theme. bagged a 2 piece alder body, rosewood neck, 2 virtual blues and an area 58 and gotoh 510 trm in gold...leaning mroe towards blue, poss subtle metallic blue but if i could pull off a burst like this i'd be very happy....

Comment

That'd be awesome. Love that burst.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        That'd be awesome. Love that burst.

Comment

Hell yes!

Comment

bits starting to arrive...

Comment

so the body was unfortunately drilled wrong (they said it as an older body they'd done) and things like the 6 trem screws and the neck pocket were too wide to make it fit securely (even though body was for standard fender dimensions). they are going to do me another one asap. in the mean time i've been out an bought all the paints/paper/clear etc. Recomment halfrods if anyone in the UK is looking to build/paint. very good range of extra fine grit sanding papers and rubbing compound etc. my colours are ford bermuda/light blue and ford maritime blue. gona do a test shoot tonight on some cardboard to see what it looks like...

Comment

very rough spray on a windy day, but you get the vague idea

Comment

Nice. Can't wait to see your finished project. Blue is my favorite color.

Comment

new body. slightly miffed that the replacement was 3 piece not the 2 piece i originally ordered and for some reaosn the pickup routes are a bit wider than the nice snug ones on the original, but i've drilled everything and it kinda looks ok, so i'll probably just roll with it

Comment

second attempt, but i think i've done enough to be happy to quit while i'm ahead!!

Comment

I really dig that color! All your other pics are gone, though.

Comment

hi yah think coz i've used facebook links and they change every day or something..

Comment

Great color ,but not burst? Looks like you did an incredible job. Is there a clear coat already added? I am assuming it was not shot in the kitchen - would stink up the place for months. Nice job. Is that 'rattle' cans or did you spray automotive urethane?

Comment

the rattle is my extractor fan. and yeah i don't have a garden so i'm either hanging out a first floor window or extractor fans on everywhere. like i said, i quit while i was ahead, but it is darker blue round the sides of the guitar and lighter blue on top and back with a bit of tint. i have done clear coat which i have to say i found tougher. particularly that vicious cycle where you rub through a finish in places then try to touch it up and respray the clear. but it's ok i've got it to a reflective shine if not a completely flawless finish. I care less now my little man (who helped me spray it and did an amazing job sanding bless him) knocked it over yesterday and put a big dent in the back...

main thing is it plays and sounds great, got the final pickup to wire tonight and then i'll take it for a setup.

Last edited by sonicsamurai; 06-19-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X