Garbage find - what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage find - what is it?

Earlier this week, my wife was out for an early morning walk and a couple streets away she finds 2 guitar bodies and a neck in someone’s trash. She sends me a text asking if I wanted them. Duh, silly question. I figured I could look them over. If they are trash I could always throw them out or pass them along to someone for a wall hanger.

One body is a bass body that is half stripped down to the bare wood and primer. A bass player friend of mine believes it is a Squier P bass from the late 90s or early 00s. Maybe I’ll goof around with it and use it to practice some refin work. The other guitar and neck has me stumped. It’s a semi hollow body with no hardware or markings on it. It has a nice top and back on it. It has binding but about half of it is missing or damaged. It looks like it was originally some burst color that was painted over black. I’m guessing the prior owner was in the process of stripping the black off the body and decided to trash the project. It’s a 3-piece neck with binding. The headstock has an odd shape and the top edge seems rough, but the binding is there. The face of the headstock has a heavy black paint on it. Wondering if there is anything underneath it.

Just curious if anyone recognizes the body or headstock. I’d like to figure out what it is and if it’s trash or worthy of a project for someone to restore. Let me know if anyone has any info or guesses or can point me in the right direction for this. Thanks.

That's an awfully nicely topped body, if it's sound, I'd say try and save her
    (The neck, I would toss out though)
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The neck does look like trash but the body very salvageable. You can rebind it yourself... materials aren't expensive, just time and effort...
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

May be a dumb question, but where does the bridge go? Would it have just been glued on?

Also, on the back of the headstock, it seems like there are too many holes for the screws for the tuners. To me it looks like it had more tuners but they cut that part off. If the top screw holes are for the tuning holes you can see at the top, then what are the bottom most screw holes for? the distance between those top most screw holes and the tuner holes also seems too far for them to be for that tuner.
        Last edited by TKEblue; 04-30-2017, 07:33 PM.
        I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
          May be a dumb question, but where does the bridge go? Would it have just been glued on?
          Not a dumb question at all. It's apparently a "jazz" style, where the bridge rests on top instead of being permanently mounted. I once had an Ibanez Artcore that was like that, similar to this one:

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Interesting. I have seen that but assumed it was attached somehow. Is string tension all that's keeping it in place?
            I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

this is an old Univox body that someone put the figured top and back on at a later time, the headstock is altered too.

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                Is string tension all that's keeping it in place?
                Yep. And if you guess wrong, there goes the intonation.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was assuming that the bridge sat on the body without being screwed in. There are 3 holes near the strap button and figured they were there to hold a bridge piece and the string tension held the bridge on. Now I can start looking around and figure out what I'm going to do with this.

Comment

That's pretty. I like the back better.

And, yes, correct, that would get held in by the strap button and sometimes, as in this case, some extra screws in the same area.

Is there anything written on, glued to, or stamped inside the body?

That headstock --- it looks like the tuners were originally all *on one strip*.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                      That's pretty. I like the back better.

And, yes, correct, that would get held in by the strap button and sometimes, as in this case, some extra screws in the same area.

Is there anything written on, glued to, or stamped inside the body?

That headstock --- it looks like the tuners were originally all *on one strip*.
                      Thanks. No, I couldn't find anything written or stamped on the inside of the body. Was hoping someone here would be able to give me an idea what is was. Now I need to spend some time looking at Univox and decide what to do wit it.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                      X