Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson... Really... Am I too picky... ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This I don't know. But I know that I have seen some real funky setups hanging on the walls of GC.

But it is not like it was one bad apple. When every guitar I pick up has the same setup, it tells me that it is the setup guy.

Comment

I just scored a new Les Paul Traditional Pro III for $1100.00 shipped from MF. It was the stupid deal of the day. If it sucks I have 45 days to send it back.

Comment

Gibson...Fender...sos nowadays imo..."plasticy" & cheap feeling

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        This I don't know. But I know that I have seen some real funky setups hanging on the walls of GC.

But it is not like it was one bad apple. When every guitar I pick up has the same setup, it tells me that it is the setup guy.

GC does not set-up each guitar...new or used

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
          GC does not set-up each guitar...new or used
          This...
          Both the Phoenix and Scottsdale GC stores pull them out of the box, give them a quick tune and then put them on he wall.
          They don't have the time or resources to setup every guitar in the store.
          This is straight from the manager's mouth at both stores.
          They'll be happy to do it (for a fee) after you buy the guitar.
          -Rick

Comment

My 58 RI is tits out the best guitar I have.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I want to like Gibson, but the short scale and set necks just don't do it for me. Not to mention the prices in recent years, and now what I'm hearing about quality issues with them. I see them as old-world guitars, with their old-world craftsmanship and all, which isn't a bad thing...but I like new-world CNC-machined precision and consistency. My favorite being the Jap Model series.

After a few years of playing, I saved enough to buy a real Gibson SG for around $500 back in 86 or 86. Alpine white, ebony board...was a beaut. But the day I bought a Model 4 it was over for Gibson. While I have seen some beautiful Les Pauls that sounded fantastic recently, I doubt I'll ever want one, let alone pay that much for one.

Comment

There's no "old world craftsmanship" with modern Gibson guitars.
                Short of the the custom shop stuff, it's all CNC cut and put together on an assembly line.
                Go look at the video tours of the place. Mass produced guitars as far as the eye can see.
                It's their QA department that needs help.
                -Rick

Comment

No shit? I assumed there was a lot of skilled craftsmanship that went into a Gibson hence the $2500 and rising fast price tags. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Crude View Post
                    No shit? I assumed there was a lot of skilled craftsmanship that went into a Gibson hence the $2500 and rising fast price tags. Lol.
                    Check out the tour Premier Guitar did...
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbU1R4KDymw
                    -Rick

Comment

All of the old people died, and their kids with all of their new fangled gadgetry have streamlined the process.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        Check out the tour Premier Guitar did...
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbU1R4KDymw
                        Did you see how fast it scalloped the horn on that big router table cutting 5 bodies at once?
                        That's a $300 up charge on JCS.

Comment

Pick up rings bent how?
                          You do know a LP has a carved top and they file and shape the pick up rings to fit the carve of the body so they aren't bent.
                          You wouldn't believe how often I hear that comment and when I explain the reason why people just have a glazed look in there eyes then say but it looks bent.
                          Makes you want to knock them on the head and say wake up dumbass.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                            JSo who's doing the quality control?
                            Stevie Wonder, I think.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                            X