No announcement yet.

"that guitar ain't got no idea whose name is on the headstock..." Richard Petty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True......I should go over and sign up to the NASCAR forum and state... that car don't know what emblem is on it!...and then just wait around and see the shitstorm THAT causes
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Yup. That's irony for ya- ol' Petty is driving around the track in a car PLASTERED with names on it! Bet Richard Petty might have a different perspective when it comes to having a custom race car built vs. grabbing a used Chevy off the local car lot and putting upgrade oil filter and tires on it.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
        Yup. That's irony for ya- ol' Petty is driving around the track in a car PLASTERED with names on it! Bet Richard Petty might have a different perspective when it comes to having a custom race car built vs. grabbing a used Chevy off the local car lot and putting upgrade oil filter and tires on it.
        Vector wins

Comment

funny you should make that comment, Petty was around back when stock car racing was stock cars or at least MUCH closer to stock than anything racing today. big difference, specific options were brand exclusive unlike guitars. now race cars are purpose built with little or no real connection to their brands other than the stickers. now change the rules and say you could only get a floyd on a kramer, or say honduran mahogany was Hamer exclusive....then yes brand does matter. & back to the whole hot rod it and make it better.

Comment

Well that rules out Kramers for me then!
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
              funny you should make that comment, Petty was around back when stock car racing was stock cars or at least MUCH closer to stock than anything racing today. big difference, specific options were brand exclusive unlike guitars. now race cars are purpose built with little or no real connection to their brands other than the stickers. now change the rules and say you could only get a floyd on a kramer, or say honduran mahogany was Hamer exclusive....then yes brand does matter. & back to the whole hot rod it and make it better.
              Not sure how this supports the premise that guitars mass produced with inferior materials can be made to be equal or superior to one that starts with top grade materials and better (hand) craftsmanship. I just don't see how, outside of a few lucky units, that could be something to form the foundation of a sound argument on. I suppose some degree of subjectivity enters into this and frankly, there's no arguing against that. But Richard Petty's ancient driving history and a bit of good luck aside, there's little to substantiate the OP's original point. As a blanket inference, it's just not accurate.

Comment

Wood is organic. Every piece is different. Even when cut from the same section of the same tree. When you cut up and combine that wood with other wood, synergy may happen...and it may not. A luthier can pick the finest woods available and try their best with the whole process, but a guitar may still end up being a tone turd. There are certainly stories of custom shop guitars being duds. Granted, all that extra effort increases the likelihood of getting a winner, but doesn't guarantee it. On the flip side, a cheap guitar thrown together with random wood may have that synergy....and be a great guitar.

We can go round and round, but the bottom line is this: a good guitar is a good guitar. It doesn't matter what it was made of, how it was built, where it was built, how much it cost, or what is on the headstock. A good guitar is a good guitar.

Comment

And this does?

Comment

Oh boy. When I have to start explaining that difference then, this really is a dead horse.

Comment

No need to explain. Our opinions differ, but you are the one that made the implied comparison to race cars which I just don't see. Apples to oranges.

Comment

Not everything is created equal yes you can have a decent, low cost quality guitar out perform an expensive counter part.

To me quality woods do make a difference in tone and resonance of the instrument.

Typically imports use cheaper components so replacing bunk metal bridges, crappy pots and switches and the pickups you are on to something. I did this way back in eBay infancy buying up Model series Charvels for 100-150 bucks. They make a good base for replacing all the cheaper components...so gone were the pickups, pots and sometimes the 5 way. It just depends. I did the same thing to a couple of import BC Rich Mockingbirds that were made in Korea.

Some guitars have it, some don't and paying high price does not equal tone. You can have numerous LPC's come out of Gibby CS and all priced the same but not all will have same tone and playability.

I have a few higher end guitars that have that something special and not the money I spent on them. Usually it is the wood quality, fret finish, intonation and set-up that sets them apart from the cheaper priced models. I have become as USA guitar guy but it doesn't mean I'm a snob, I still have imports as well. I will say this, my most expensive guitar is my B7 57 RI LPC...someone paid and ass for that new, I git it cheaper than new LPC's and if someone can find me a LP that feels, plays and sounds as good as that for $200 please sign me up for a few dozen
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

What about that video of the guy playing the big unfinished log.
                          Or those guitars that are just a metal frame with no wood at all.

Damnit pianoguyy, why did you need to bring that shit up.

That, to me, is more about the electronics making the sound then the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                            No need to explain. Our opinions differ, but you are the one that made the implied comparison to race cars which I just don't see. Apples to oranges.
                            I was playing off of the OP's title, mostly for laughs. And you've neatly re-iterated what I stated prior, about the (ir)relevance of Richard Petty commenting on guitar values in the first place (post # 60, I think).

But Mr. Lutz pretty much encapsulated what I said earlier as well- it's subjective. There are no certainties in this debate and we've all had varying experiences. I predicate my position on my own experiences (as I'm sure you do, too) and that of logic- i.e. it's logical to assume that the superior materials and craftsmanship that would MORE LIKELY be available to a higher price-point product, would offer a better foundation on which to build a better guitar.

Comment

I was playing off of the OP's title, mostly for laughs. And you've neatly re-iterated what I stated prior, about the (ir)relevance of Richard Petty commenting on guitar values in the first place (post # 60, I think).

But Mr. Lutz pretty much encapsulated what I said earlier as well- it's subjective. There are no certainties in this debate and we've all had varying experiences. I predicate my position on my own experiences (as I'm sure you do, too) and that of logic- i.e. it's logical to assume that the superior materials and craftsmanship that would MORE LIKELY be available to a higher price-point product, would offer a better foundation on which to build a better guitar.
                              +1 and well said bro!
                              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Utterly subjective really....some players are satisfied w/an upgraded standard model & others simply are not....you can improve hardware etc but not the woods quality!!

That said....I agree w/Vector....you can't shine shit!!

Comment

Working...
                                X