Scalloped Neck anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalloped Neck anyone?

Never played one. So I don't know how these necks feel.

Always wanted a YJM strat. May be it's the nostalgia from the first time I heard Rising Force in 1984... Damn, I'm getting old...

So yay or nay? Let me know...
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

i HATE them. i wanted a YJM strat, got one, and returned it the same day. i never realized that i rely on the feeling the wood on the fretboard for as much of my technique as i do. with the scalloped neck, everything feels really metallic...you feel metal on metal and it is super easy to press too hard and go out of tune. i think with time i could have gotten used to it - if that guitar were my only one. but it was too expensive just to have in the guitar locker....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I have never tried one but have always wanted a YJM strat. But I'm not sure having 1 scalloped neck would work (as markD is suggesting). It seems like an all or nothing thing. Still really wanna try one!

So YES. For now.
      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I have three mighty mite necks scalloped and love the feel myself. It does take some getting use to, but I love it overall. It is very similar, IMO, to having huge frets (in height, not width).
        Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
        Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

@mrrs that's not helping with the GAS...

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
          I have never tried one but have always wanted a YJM strat... Still really wanna try one!

So YES. For now.
          Hey hey... Another crazy forumite like me

@markD, thanks a lot. You posted my "biggest fear"... Buying a 1500$ guitar and not liking it... And I can't find any store localy that got one in stock to spend some time with it.

I may be better buying a cheap used Strat with a maple fretboard and having it refinished in "Vintage white"... Just to have the look.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

^ or better yet, do that and then pay someone to do a 12th fret and up scallop on it to see how you like it.

Comment

I recently bought a guitar with a scalloped neck. It's some sort of Ibanaz copy (a Cort, I think), that had been scalloped and refinished by the seller. (I think I got ripped off, but that's another story). Anyway, I was surprised to find I quite liked it. (I too was thinking of an Yngwie strat but was afraid to spend that kind of money without knowing). If you're used to playing with a light left-hand technique, then I think it's quite easy to get used to. For me, though, I realised that, provided I keep that same light technique when playing a normal fretboard, then that was good enough.
              My other signature says something funny

Comment

Back in my Myrtle Beach days I somehow wound up with a scalloped Strat. While I can see advantages and possibilities with it, I never could get used to it.
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I too have wanted a YJM Strat for many years (I love the look of the white/maple).

Twice I have had the money to buy one...but never followed through. For me, it would be too hard to get comfortable with the neck. I play one in the shop and I'm all over the place - bends are too sharp or flat, touch is too heavy then too light. I'd imagine it would take a while to adjust to the scallops. My other problem would be that when I was used to the scallops, it would be hard to switch back and play my other non-scalloped necks. The other drawback is that the YJM only has 21 frets.

However, having said all of this, whenever I see a YJM I still really want one!

Comment

my friend george liked the scalloped feel so much that he went and got all his guitars scalloped - deep, too...you feel NO wood, only fret. his are way beyond feeling like jumbo frets...more like playing a lute.

he did this because it became an "all or nothing" approach - going back-and-forth between scalloped and non-scalloped fretboards was too inconsistent.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I like a scalloped neck from 12-22 fret as long as its not too deep.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Make sure you strap lock it when you whip it over your shoulder
                        Jackson KV2
                        Jackson KE1T
                        Jackson KE1F
                        Jackson SL1

Comment

Played scalloped for years. I can't see any difference between a scalloped fretboard and a standard fretboard with jumbo frets.
                          With jumbo frets and your action a little higher than normal its basically the same thing.
                          I could see why players who like thin frets and super low action would like scalloped necks though.

Bottom line, a scalloped fretboard isn't going to improve any aspect of your playing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1994 View Post
                            I too have wanted a YJM Strat for many years (I love the look of the white/maple).

Twice I have had the money to buy one...but never followed through. For me, it would be too hard to get comfortable with the neck. I play one in the shop and I'm all over the place - bends are too sharp or flat, touch is too heavy then too light. I'd imagine it would take a while to adjust to the scallops. My other problem would be that when I was used to the scallops, it would be hard to switch back and play my other non-scalloped necks. The other drawback is that the YJM only has 21 frets.

However, having said all of this, whenever I see a YJM I still really want one!
                            I had a few YJM's over the years. I agree. The big drawbacks for me was 21 frets and having to dial my amps in differently for the stacked single coil sized humbuckers because all my other guitars had traditional humbuckers. I need at least 22 frets. I also don't like 6 screw trems because if you just look at them the wrong way they go out of tune.

Comment

Man, I'm still kicking for not buying an YJM strat they had for sale cheap at Sam Ash in LA last time I was there... I played it for some time and quite like it. I was trying to prove to myself that I could resist the urge of buying a guitar every time I'm in the states (every time I try to prove that to myself, I end up kicking myself - the last one was that black/brown Broderick signature they had at The Music Zoo). Curiously, I thought I was fretting too heavy for me to adjust easily to a scalloped neck, but it wasn't a problem. Plus, all of a sudden I could sound like Uli when playing Sails of Charon!
                              Last edited by javert; 05-12-2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X