No announcement yet.

USA Peavey G90...any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The G90 has the same shape as the Destiny. It's definitely different to a Soloist, but the difference is more in the shape and thickness of the horns than the "ass". It's different, but not bigger. One other thing, if I remember correctly, my Destiny is 24 3/4" scale, but I'm not sure what scale the G90 is. Too bad your G-90 didn't have the Steeler Kurt. They are excellent trems.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have a Steeler on a Carvin. Its an excellent trem. I am still curious about those Destinys. They look like great guitars. The G90 had a 24 3/4 scale........

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2 View Post
        I have a Steeler on a Carvin. Its an excellent trem. I am still curious about those Destinys. They look like great guitars. The G90 had a 24 3/4 scale........

Ah, so it's basically a bolt-on version of the Destiny. The only real issue with Peaveys from this era, is that the finish tends to be very thick, and "gloopy" looking for lack of a better term. I've owned a couple of Destinys, and 3 Odysseys, and all of them have the same poor finish. It seems to me that they were never blocked out during finishing. In other words, the finish was just layered on thick, and left that way. Plus, the ones with trans finishes always seem to have really shitty figured maple tops. It's like they used the cheapest, ugliest scraps of maple they could find, spoiling what could have been really nice guitars. The good part is, they are actually very decent instruments, and play nicely.

Comment

A less wordy response: Dem PVS dey be made by da hillbillies of Missippi, eh?...............

Comment

So, I now have it in hand...I'd say it is the same size as a Soloist, but lighter. The finish is bad (eerie dess swirl, but not a good kind), making it look like a sofa from the set of an 80's sitcom (Mike's apartment in Growing Pains, maybe?), but otherwise I think it will be a solid guitar!

There are some tiny cracks in the binding around the fretboard...do these typically get worse? Can you replace that kind of binding? I'm not sure if that would be too expensive...

Comment

Originally posted by axehunter View Post
              So, I now have it in hand...I'd say it is the same size as a Soloist, but lighter. The finish is bad (eerie dess swirl, but not a good kind), making it look like a sofa from the set of an 80's sitcom (Mike's apartment in Growing Pains, maybe?), but otherwise I think it will be a solid guitar!

There are some tiny cracks in the binding around the fretboard...do these typically get worse? Can you replace that kind of binding? I'm not sure if that would be too expensive...
              I wouldn't worry about the binding cracks. They likely won't get worse, and having the binding replaced would cost more than the guitar is worth anyway. Just play it and enjoy it.

Oh yeah, pics or GTFO!!

Comment

Ok...so, I completed the trade on got the Peavey. Here is a pic of it as I received it...I think the finish is dreadful. It kind of looks like a sofa from an 80's sitcom.

I have taken out all the electronics and removed the neck, and stripped off all the finish using aircraft stripper. I also filled the awful D-Tuna route. After a lot of sanding, I'm now at the sanding sealer stage. I'll post pics of my progress as I go. My plan is to paint it Reranchs' Orang Orange...should be eyepopping!

Comment

Working...
                X