Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Played a few GJ2 guitars at the Dallas Guitar Show today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a few GJ2 guitars at the Dallas Guitar Show today....

Verdict:

Three of the nicest guitars I've had the pleasure to play. Grover didn't make the trip as planned, but Jon Gold (CEO) was there, and we had a really nice time chatting about the guitars. Nicely balanced, fantastic sounding, and easily one of (if not THE) nicest necks I've ever played.

People say they're overpriced, and that's fine, but the craftsmanship and attention to detail on these guitars is amazing.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

That's cool to hear.

The prices are what they are. Just good to know that the product is top notch. I would hate to find out he was churning out mediocre guitars.

Comment

I agree. Perfect necks and setups.

Comment

I had a pass and wanted to go and didnt get the chance...

did fender have a charvel or jackson setup anywhere?
        sigpic

Comment

I had a play of a few recently when I went to pick up my new Suhr.
          Fantastic playing guitars but the price for what they are is sadly ridiculous and I cant see them doing too well.

I'm not a fan of some of the styling either but thats just my taste. A top notch guitar for sure but not worth that kind of money in my opinion.
          But hey, for Grovers sake I hope they fly out.
          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

I'm sure they are excellent built, playing and sounding guitars. Something about the bodies and headtstocks that are unappealing to me. Something seems just abit off to my eyes. I have the same thing with 99% of what Carvin builds too
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Agreed.
              All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Looks like Mike Learn got his hands on at least one of these...

Comment

Undead Pirates Yay!
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

It's the color of money. I love that color. Did you know Free Masons designed money..it's the most gorgeous thing ever. It has power.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Its the body contours and headstock being changed from the standard superstrat shapes, and not in a good way. I think he should of went more 'metal' with his stylings to attract more buyers.
                      "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Nice guitar - Excellent paint job - Inlay......Looks a bit cheesy.

Comment

I don't know man. I like Grover but man, this has been done over and over again. How many Charvel/Jackson super strat type of can the market stand? I also agree on the price too steep but so are Suhr and Charvel Custom shops
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'm curious, how do the GJ2s measure up to your Suhr? In this price bracket id be interest to compare this to a Suhr Modern and a Floyd-equipped Anderson.

Comment

Shawn, I hear ya on the superstrat saturation. The guitars that I played smoke any Jackson I've played or owned.

I know that people aren't crazy about the pricing, but if you were to order a c/s Jackson with the same construction styles (3pc center, no scarf, for example), it'd cost more than one of these. And....these are made by Grover Jackson. As far as I'm concerned, he knows how to build an excellent guitar, and yes, there's a bit of "paying for the name" which is well deserved, for fuck's sake.

As far as Suhr v Anderson goes, I'd say it's a completely different animal. I haven't played a Suhr, but I've played a handful of Andersons, and these necks feel more Jackson-like than Fender-like. To me, these are like Soloists that have the experience and know how behind them.

As far as the infinity inlay goes, I'm not a fan; if I were to get one (and I'd love to if I could afford it), I'd go with the Arete 4, which has the hollowed dots. I dig that they do natural binding on the fretboards, and the headstock plate is inlaid (the binding is part of the actual headstock), they're really lightweight, there's no neck heel, and the backshape is to die for. I did my best to try to memorize the shape, for sure.

All this aside, I understand that they're not for everyone. They're also not "metal" guitars. Jacksons weren't "metal" guitars when they were created either, IMO.

Sully
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X