NGD! - Ibanez Saber -I believe..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! - Ibanez Saber -I believe..

I just picked this up!! Can someone help me identify it? I mean the year maybe and the exact model? I tried the Ibanez project page but no joy. I was a bit concerned because the serial seemed odd to me but I could be wrong. As well, it doesn’t have the backstop I expected in the cavity. There are NO markings on the headstock which I THINK is typical for the era? If it’s what I think it is, then I got a good deal. If not, then I’ve been HAD! I know I could go to the Jemsite and I will if necessary, but this is kinda my one stop ya know?

So far I LOVE IT!!! STOKED!
    Thanks for looking
    Cambridge-20120415-00234.jpg
    Cambridge-20120415-00247.jpg
    Cambridge-20120415-00250.jpg
    Cambridge-20120415-00248.jpg
    Cambridge-20120415-00249.jpg
    Cambridge-20120415-00246.jpg
    Cambridge-20120415-00244.jpg
    Cambridge-20120415-00245.jpg
    Cambridge-20120415-00238.jpg
    Cambridge-20120415-00239.jpg
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Cool! Check out the wiki page on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_S

The mini-switches and IBZ USA pups would seem to point to it being an early model (1987?)

Comment

very cool!!! based on the knobs, the bridge position selector switch (it appears to be a 3-way), and the cosmo hardware that is a 1988-1990 S540. i have an early '87 with chrome hardware and 3 on/off switches with a coil tap push/pull on the volume pot. i would think yours is closer to 89-90 based on the neckplate. most of the '87s i have seen have a flat plate, not the plate yours has.

either way, that is a killer guitar!!!
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys...

I'm thinking it's 88. I would love to know for sure. I'll take the neck off shortly and see if its stamped. I'm not sure If I should play it, or put it away. It feels like my 88 -RG570. I got a great deal on this bad boy.
        Im never selling it! Ever.

Comment

that's how i feel about my old one!! enjoy it a bit, but keep it safe...ibanez doesn't make 'em the way they used to!!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

I actually think NOW, its an 87. I took the trem cavity cover off again and I can see the 2 screw holes where the trem-stop SHOULD be. That kinda sucks its missing. Not that I would really want to use it but for value sake.:think:

Comment

Usually the year of the guitar is the first number of the serial number or first two numbers of the serial now.. I think yours starts with an 8 so that is a 88'. That is an awesome guitar with the famous EDGE trem on it... how much did you pay? Here are the old catalogs:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/index.htm

Last edited by chrisf; 04-15-2012, 05:18 PM.

Comment

that neck plate is not an 87 neck plate. ibanez still used flat plates in 87.
                GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Yeah - I think you are right its an 88. The neck plate is not an 87 as markD pointed out. I traded for it. What I traded was worth between 350 to 500$. I'm very happy with the deal. He seemed to be too actually so win win. Is a great guitar.

Comment

Nice score. i had one of those in metallic copper. Great guitar I kinda miss it even tho its an ibanez. lol
                    Gil

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Really loving this guitar. It should be easy to bond with...then put away:think: fml...

Comment

it will be REAL easy to bond with. i pull mine out every now and then - mostly for session work since it has so many pickup configs available - then it goes back in the case for a couple of years....it is the one guitar i will never sell - and i bought it new in 1987!!!!
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                          it will be REAL easy to bond with. i pull mine out every now and then - mostly for session work since it has so many pickup configs available - then it goes back in the case for a couple of years....it is the one guitar i will never sell - and i bought it new in 1987!!!!
                          You owned it since new? That's cool makes it even better. I played mine last night for a few hours. Really diggin it. I mean it feels very simliar to my 88-RG570 (which I will also never sell). I seem to have a soft spot for the late 80's early 90's MIJ Ibby's. I can't 100% put my finger on just what it is I love so much about them. They just FEEL good from the second you pick them up. Obviously, the EDGE bridge is awesomeand the necks are awesome but its more then that. Dunno, but I keep my eye out for them and I'll be looking for another maybe something i can play with a little more......I would almost like to find one a little more beat up so I would hesitate to play it daily...
                          Last edited by dvscool; 04-16-2012, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I think the 570 has the same neck but not sure... The catalogs I linked to will tell you for sure. I have never seen one this old for sale in such good shape. It looks brand new.

Comment

here is a pic of mine:

GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                              X