No announcement yet.

I need help with a Heritage Custom Shop order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kahler had and I think still has the LP stud mount trem. You may want to email them for more info. If you are looking to flutter, you could try to find a lestrem, I think Schaller made them. For feedback, you could place some foam in the cavity.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

More wood removal or not, I still think the Kahler or Floyd trem is not only aesthetically more pleasing to the eye but also much more functional than a Bigsby or Stetsbar. If you ever had to sell the guitar more people will buy it with one of those trems as well. The locking nut on them both does make alternate tunings a PITA though, I'll give you that.
      Btw, I don't think I've ever seen a non-recessed Floyd on a LP before.

Rudy
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

it was a Floyd unit that retrofit ontop the exsiting TOM and TP studs

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts/floydpaul1.jpg

shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
          it was a Floyd unit that retrofit ontop the exsiting TOM and TP studs http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts/floydpaul1.jpg
          It fits the studs, but you still have to route the back for the Floyd. I think that Kahler has no back route.
          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
            It fits the studs, but you still have to route the back for the Floyd. I think that Kahler has no back route.
            no you do not. Its a cam system but you do have to add the floyd nut. They installed with any MODS to the guitar body. There is NO trem rout nor cavity routed.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
              More wood removal or not, I still think the Kahler or Floyd trem is not only aesthetically more pleasing to the eye but also much more functional than a Bigsby or Stetsbar. If you ever had to sell the guitar more people will buy it with one of those trems as well. The locking nut on them both does make alternate tunings a PITA though, I'll give you that.
              Btw, I don't think I've ever seen a non-recessed Floyd on a LP before.

Rudy
              I'm finalizing my specs for the guitar. I'm going to go with the standard PC1 neck. While I like big necks, I think the PC1 neck will lend itself better to a speed/ while still maintaining comfort. It has a compound radius neck, right? The standard guitar is a 24 & 3/4 scale so I'm not sure how that will translate onto a PC1 neck...

As for trem systems- I was planning on doing a stetsbar with locking tuners. If I didn't do that, I could probably do a standard floyd and locking nut. It would suck to change tunings though.

I'm not all that familiar with Kahlers, but aren't they harder to keep in tune? I've heard that strings easily snap, you have to put chapstic on your strings and they aren't as good as a floyd. Can anyone comment? Would a kahler work, if I bypassed a locking nut in favor of locking tuners? Theoretically, It would make tunings a lot easier and there wouldn't be a need for a trem route.
              Last edited by The Rossness; 04-27-2012, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Well, I think the biggest thing with the Kahler is a different feel than a Floyd. If you've never played one you may want to do so before ordering a custom guitar with one. I never had much tuning issues with my Kahlers nor string breakage issues. Back in the late 80's GHS sold strings with reinforcement wrap at the ball end of the string for Kahlers but I did fine with regular strings. Those are no longer in production. Some people put a drop of solder on the strings to do the same thing, again, I never needed it. The advange to a Kahler over a Floyd as I see it is you can rest your palm on the trem without pulling it sharp. There are also no little Floyd blocks to lose on a dark stage during string changes. Those things sometimes fall out on a Floyd, other times they're stuck! Also if you break a string the whole thing doesn't go out of tune as it does on a Floyd Rose. Disadvantage is the Kahler won't do the Floyd flutter effect done by litghly depressing the Floyd bar and little wobble. You can do the same thing by hitting the body of the guitar with your hand, again a Floyd will do that effect a Kahler won't. So I wouldn't say better or worse than a Floyd Rose but different. I've had both since the 80's and like them both.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

plus Kahler kills resale values
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Kinda, but if you are going custom across the board you are killing resale anyway. I've had Kahlers and Floyds over the years. I prefer Kahlers. IMO they are the evolution of the bigsby vs the floyd which is a evolution of the fender trem. Also, can someone tell me why I can't format my posts using FF? I typed this out as 3 lines..

Comment

But a Bigsby or Stetsbar doesn't? Kahler and Floyd will both have a bigger resale market than either of those. I'm perfectly happy with my Kahler equipped guitars and have been for years.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                      X