Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Beauty Les Paul with Black Hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Beauty Les Paul with Black Hardware?

So, I came into possession of a Les Paul Black Beauty here recently (just an Epiphone). It's the Custom 3 with gold hardware. Body is in good shape, but it's gonna need a little work. Frets (I don't dig the fretless wonder feel), new nut, and the plating on the hardware is worn off in a lot of places. For the price I got it for, no worries.

For the hardware, I'm thinking of going all black. I don't get into gold hardware too much, and it'd be different from my other guitars. I got the idea from the limited edition they did awhile back, but that was a flamed maple veneer with black hardware.

Opinions? (I'm not asking you guys to make up my mind for me, but it'll probably be a bit before I start buying parts so I've got time to weigh my options).

Chrome looks good too. Here's an old Edwards of mine that I swapped the gold out for chrome. sorry, no wgits available
    DSC00124.jpgDSC00126.jpg

Comment

black would look pretty wicked. chrome is classy. gold is....hmm, gold is.....hmmm.....the proper adjective slips my mind. if you went black, you would change the pickups too, correct? also, IMO, if you went black you'd almost have to go with dome knobs in order for it to look "black" enough....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

And some DR Black Beauty strings to top it off.

Love to see how it turns out whenever it gets done.
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

Chrome is the other contender. That Edwards looks great. Thing is, I've already got a black PRS Tremonti SE with chrome hardware, so while I wouldn't mind having two singlecuts with that scheme (it's a classic look) I was exploring something different just for the hell of it.

Mark, pickups would definitely be changed out. As for tuners, I was going to go with Grover Rotogrips, so I wouldn't have to fill/drill any new holes.

Either way it's gonna be a great guitar, there isn't really a bad choice here.

Edit: D'oh, I misread Mark's post. Dome knobs, eh? That might be a possibility. I could always swap them from another guitar of mine and see if it looks right to me.
          Last edited by SausageofPower; 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Do it! It'd look killer with the binding. I blacked out a studio, as you can see below:

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Damn, that looks sweet. What kind of pickups are those?

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                Damn, that looks sweet. What kind of pickups are those?
                P-Rails Also theres piezo pickups in the saddles.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Complete blackout treatment with a rosewood fretboard is like almost crossing the finish line IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by canadian bacon View Post
                    Complete blackout treatment with a rosewood fretboard is like almost crossing the finish line IMO.
                    Agreed. Need to Fiebing's Oil Dye that fretboard to finish the look!
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

BLACK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!For sure!

Comment

I'd be open to doing a dyed fretboard (I love the look of ebony fretboards), but how does that stand up over time? Do you just have to touch it up from time to time?

Comment

The blacked-out look looks totally cool.

I've got a LP Gothic Series that's almost totally black... except for a silkscreened picture of Orville Gilbson on the back of the headstock. Cool stuff.

Comment

Black, white, red and even natural finishes look good with black hardware. I like zebra pickups in this combo too. I got a Dean ML set up with the black and zebra combo.

Comment

Working...
                            X