No announcement yet.

NGD / Project progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in the same boat. I need a black coil for a single. DiMarzio pickups are spaced wider than the black cover I have, so I need a DiMarzio cover.

Comment

I've finally finished my project (for now!). I got the replacement screws I needed to black it all out and glued in the nut with a few drops of Titebond Hide glue. I threw on the stock bridge for now since I wanted to play it rather that sit around and look at it. I'm happy with the outcome. It was my first time doing any work with a string nut. I chose a nut that was pre-slotted, it needed minor sanding before gluing it in. I threw some 10's on there since that's what I had handy, in the future I may go down to 9's. I tried to use whatever I had handy to keep the amount of money spent down. I think I did well in that aspect. Here's what it's got:

Jackson tuners
      Tusq Graphite nut
      Stock single coils
      Duncan Designed 103B Humbucker
      CTS solid shaft pots
      Switchcraft output jack
      3 way mini -switch
      Jackson knobs
      Custom pickguard from Terrpin Guitars; matte black .90 thick with 45 degree angle (yeah lots of options)
      Brass String Tree
      Schaller strap-locks

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with the wiring and the nut questions.

Cheers

Comment

Wow, she is beautiful. Excellent work.

Comment

Very nice!! Great job!

Comment

Great Job. I've been watching this with a project in mind myself. Thanks.
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

So I still had a little something else that I wanted to do to really make this project pop. Today I got some real nice Paua Abalone inlays that I'm gonna throw on the existing board and replace those white plastic inlays. I still need a few more supplies before I tackle this little mod. I placed them on the existing inlays and it really looked killer! I can't wait to get started.

Last edited by Sharkfin; 10-08-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                Right on. I was born in DC, and lived in Charles County for many years before relocating to the south.
                Good ol chuck county eh. I was in PG county.

Thats a nice Jake E Lee you got goin on there!

Comment

Do your D & G have enough break at the nut without a reatiner holding them down? Those Jackson tuners are a little taller than the Fenders it seems.

Great job on the board, it looks nice and dark now.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

very cool, looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      Do your D & G have enough break at the nut without a reatiner holding them down? Those Jackson tuners are a little taller than the Fenders it seems.

Great job on the board, it looks nice and dark now.
                      The break angle does not look right does it? I noticed that as well. I haven't had any problems in the 2 months I've been playing her. I don't use the trem so it's not binding at the nut at all. I'm really not sure if these tuners are taller than the stock tuners since I chucked them. They might be though. I have a Floyd string retainer but I don't want to use it.

Yeah the FB really cleaned up nice, I'll use the fret Dr. until something better comes along. For anyone that's curious I got the inlays from LuthierSupply.com. They have some really nice inlay material.

Edit:

Figured I'd post a photo of the FB with the inlays installed since I was already checking for bad Photobucket links

Last edited by Sharkfin; 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X