Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for an acoustic with electric-like neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for an acoustic with electric-like neck?

I've been motivated to play acoustic guitar recently, but am not really a strummer and am put off by the harsh v-shaped neck on my old Yamaha as well as its bad high-fret access (no cutaway). I was wondering if anyone can recommend an acoustic with a flat-ish radius fretboard and a neck-back with a more electric-like feel? I'll probably go for something mid-priced, but would be interested in any recommendations. The only thing that I've come across so far is Mick Thomson's Ovation MT-37.

Incidentally, for some acoustic guitar awesomeness where prodigious talent meets great taste, check this tune out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD-QL29Qil0

Kramer Ferrington.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

The only thing about Ovations is the composite back. They dont sound warm at all to me. I've played a few Taylors that played themselves and sound amazing. Fender makes the Acoustasonic, Stratacoustic and Telecoustics with strat and tele necks on em. Dont know if you'll like the necks on em.

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0967300006
      http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0967310006
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Many thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't aware of either. I found an advert for a telecoustic locally. The seller wrote

"Sounds like a cigar box unplugged but good enough for practising in front of the telly"

in the advert and still it sold. Not the most glowing endorsement, but you have to admire the honesty.

The likelihood of picking up a 20+ year old Kramer on this side of the pond is, unfortunately, slim.

Comment

The new 'entry level' Taylors are quite nice guitars, but even as such they are priced in the $700-$999 price range. The necks are quite comfortable and the guitars sound fantastic.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Taylor.

Comment

carvin cobalts and some of the seagulls have thinner then normal necks for acoustics

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, they're some nice guitars. Given the cost of a Taylor, Seagull, etc., I'd have to sell an electric before buying one. Hmm, I better go play some.

Comment

Another vote for Taylor

Comment

If you are looking at more expensive lines like the taylor you might also want to check out the martin 000-28h, it has a smaller body then a full size dreadnaught with a very nice neck on it sized close to a modern strat.

Comment

Carvin AC175

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog...hp?model=ac175

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                        I forgot about those. If yor're gonna shred on an acoustic this is the way to go
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

Taylor are the go-to acoustics for fast necks.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

I have a Taylor Big Baby, picked it up on e-bay for around £250 and just like the others have said it has an amazing neck.

Comment

I had a Takamine G-series that a pretty inexpensive guitar and was the easiest acoustic to play to me.
                              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X