Jay Black Ludikris strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Black Ludikris strat

Bought this at a guitar show a few years ago and the guy had paperwork stating it was made by Jay Black (Fender master builder back in the day).
    This was his own line of guitars from info I had found online.Maybe made 30 or so.
    Mahogany with a maple top.Duncan 59 in the bridge Duncan single and Duncan 59 in the neck.Sold the neck 59 to a friend for a Hamer Std restoration and he traded me the Screamin demon Duncan so I put that in.It makes a killer neck pick up BTW.
    The Rockinger trem is OK not the best trem as far as staying in tune but has lots of mass so its a killer bridge tone wise.
    Vol tone and cocked wah control with coil taps for bridge and neck pick ups.
    It was owned by a blues player in St Louis Mo for a long time because it is beat to hell and back so all the wear is the real deal.
    The band was called The Beat Kings so google that and you may find pics and info.
    Here you go xbolt I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

Last edited by straycat; 07-08-2011, 12:09 AM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Awesome flame on the neck on that.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Here is a shot of the back lots of checking all over this one.

Comment

you pay extra for that finnish now
        no sig.....

Comment

I realize that this is a really old post but the Ludikris in this thread was my main guitar on the road for many years. GREAT guitar!!!! If the current owner sees this post and wishes to sell the guitar to me, please contact me at [email protected] - I would love to own it again. This is the history of the guitar before I sold it on ebay around 2008-09: In the spring of 1989, I purchased the guitar from a fellow guitarist named Joe Payne while I was a musician in the Country Junction Band at the Worlds of Fun amusement park in K.C. J Black built the guitar in the 80's in K.C. before he worked for the Fender Custom Shop. I confirmed this with Mr. Black in a phone conversation back in the 90's when he was at Fender. I seem to remember that he told me he had also made a blue 'sister' guitar with the same styling and electronics. Joe Payne (a KILLER flat picker) was the acoustic player in the Worlds of Fun band and sold the guitar to me because he mainly played acoustic and I was in the market for another electric. Joe had played the guitar for a while on the road prior to the Worlds of Fun gig. After the Worlds of Fun gig, the guitar traveled with me as my main guitar full-time on the road with a variety band called Keyed-Up from K.C. For several years I played the guitar in clubs, hotels, cruises, corporate gigs etc. After leaving Keyed-Up and completing a stint with another road band, the Ludikris continued to serve as my main axe when a couple of friends and I formed a group called the Beat Kings in Salina, Kansas. The Beat Kings was a classic rock power trio that played mostly bars in Kansas/Nebraska. It's great to see the guitar again - awesome memories!!!! It took years of gigging and wood-shedding to wear that finish off of the top! The crack in the finish above the volume and tone knobs was courtesy of the baggage handlers from Delta Airlines who mishandled the guitar on a flight from K.C. to Atlanta in 1990. The guitar came out on the luggage conveyor in Atlanta with the strap, which had been inside the case, wrapped around the outside of the case and tied in a knot. Delta paid me out of petty cash for the damage to the guitar but I never had the finish repaired. ALWAYS pack your guitar in a flight case when flying, kids!! (Lesson learned - ha!)

Comment

Glad to hear from a previous owner.
            I sold or traded it to Blackrider Vintage Guitars here in Lexington Ky.
            He in turn had it listed on his website and I believe it was Jay Black that contacted him and bought the guitar back.
            I played it for a couple of years and enjoyed it very much.

Comment

Working...
            X