Schecter C-1 Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schecter C-1 Custom

Okay, had a couple threads about this one so here is the one I just got. Mahogany body, 24.75" scale, 3 piece mahogany neck with a nice volute, arched quilt maple top, ebony board, tone pros TOM with back angle on the neck like a les paul, duncan pups, binding on body and neck, schecter branded locking tuners, and tusq nut.

Now I've only had it for a day but this is what I think so far. This is a LOT of guitar for the cash and probably one of the best values I've seen yet. It isn't as resonant as some high end guitars but isn't all that bad either. The stain/finish on the quilt doesn't pop like a heritage or prs but still looks good. The poly finish isn't super thick but could probably be a little thinner. I can't complain at all about the hardware and electronics, they are all top notch. The ebony board is better then a lot I've see but isn't as tight grained or smooth as a jackson or heritage. The fingerboard edges are rolled over enough to make it very comfortable but not as much as a jackson. Much better then the average sharp angle on most imports though, and enough that I can't complain about it. The inlays are are nicely done with no mistakes, chips, or tear out. The fretwork is actually very very good, no high or low spots, no buzzing, and they are polished very well. The neck shape is also very comfortable and very similar to what is on the sls but just a touch thicker. The setup is spot on, they did a really nice job on that.

Nothing is ever perfect so here is what I found wrong so far. There are a couple flaws in the finish, one area needed a little more buffing and there are a couple small pin sized bubble marks on the side of the headstock. The back of the neck however is fine with no flaws. As mentioned previously the finish is a little thick. The rear button hole was drilled too big and instead of filling and re-drilling they just wrapped the screw in paper and put it in. This should have been fixed properly, looks like they just grabbed the wrong bit. The other one is fine. The other problem that should have been caught is the g string nut slot is a little too deep on the back side. This causes some string buzz behind the nut when the open g string is played. The front of the nut is fine, looks like just a touch too much back angle on the saw when cutting. This should have been fixed also, either with a new nut or building up the back of the nut.

So far though it plays very nice and sound pretty good. I would say it's worth the money they are asking, more so if you can get them to knock off $100 I haven't decided yet if I'll have them replace it with one that doesn't have any problems or just fix them myself since they are minor. I'll probably wait a week or so for it to settle in and see if I find anything else wrong before I decide. Anyway, here are the required pics!!
    Attached Files
Working...
X