NGD! (no pics though :( )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! (no pics though :( )

So been keeping my eyes out for a few years now, second hand, new, to no avail.
    But a few days back I pulled the trigger on one of the newer import BC Rich Warlocks:
    The NJ deluxe
    Was discounted to the price they previously offered the dark arts, and figured I might as well not pass it up
    Not that I needed another axe, I just always wanted a nice Warlock

So I got it in today and took it for a testrun

Finish looks great, beats the living hell out of my Epiphone LP custom that was €200 more back when i bought it, but have to admit, I'm seeing some light brush scratches under the picking area already (perhaps some dust during buffing?)

Pearl binding looks very nice, yeah short pieces but not instantly gives a "CHEAP!" grunt as MOTO does, it's also not as 'expressive' as abalone (which would probably lose some of it's shimmer with the all black guitar)
    The inlays are MoP as well, but, there's only 2 of them, so,...
    overall paintjob looks good, you can see the lines of the neck in the body slightly, that's about it
    ...except the fretboard, not much wrong with it except they just as well should NOT dye the ebony
    My fingers were black as night

The hardware:
    EMG's I'm not impressed because:
    1. I already have an Ibanez RG outfitted with them
    2. 81 neck 85 bridge sounds a hell of a lot better in my ears (simply a matter of trading places thankfully)
    Do like the 2x vol, 1x tone setup, same diagram as gibson set to mute in middle position if one volume is set to zero
    '1000' series Floyd, not much worries there if even old Takuichi's last 2+ decades
    Pots/switch felt solid and smooth
    The grover tuners, nut, trem and knobs appeared somewhat cheap at first, well,....

For a little background: I smoke, my guitars stand in smoke and I don't clean them as often as I should

The amount of grime on the Lock's hardware I could never achieve in a YEAR smoking around my guitars
    The entire guitar was shiny and buffed, but the hardware looked matte
    (oddly enough, the trembar in the sealed bag had the same amount of muck)
    I don't know which sulfur pit they store it next to in Korea, but really,....

Time to bring out the polishing kit again

Playing wise, not too thin neck, but perhaps the flattest fretboard radius of any of my guitars
    feels a bit like trying to fret into thin air at first
    Floyd feels stiff and smooth, good neck acces, no sharp fret ends
    Good solid feel

not really much weight and though not beveled or without any bodycontours quite comfortable to handle
    Neck heavy? not really, but I'm used to holding up an RR1

it needs a good cleaning and polishing, definitely need to get that ebony ink off,
    Pup swap (still gotta decide if I keep the EMG's in my ibanez or make that one passive), stringchange (to 10's) and setup

Only things I consider a compromise that are slightly less practical are just inlays at the 12th fret and the reveres headstock
    as it is now, it already slaps the ass of the Epi LP

I gotta say it's not half bad
    Last edited by Nightbat; 12-27-2010, 06:51 PM.
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Until there are pics it's a Jay Turser.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Nice to hear someone got some joy out of a brand I gave up on several years ago... BCR that is. WTF is a Jay Turser? Actually, I don't wanna know.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Jay Turser makes cheap ass copy guitars. They make Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs, 355s, Dobros, and so on and so forth for dirt cheap. Actually, someone I know had me set his up. Best $115 dollar guitar I've ever played.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
          Jay Turser makes cheap ass copy guitars. They make Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, SGs, 355s, Dobros, and so on and so forth for dirt cheap. Actually, someone I know had me set his up. Best $115 dollar guitar I've ever played.
          They ripped off Daisy Rock. That's how bad they are. (Btw, I tried a high end Daisy Rock, and it was fucking incredible.)

Also, I always thought this was a bad ass Jay Turser...

http://jayturser.com/images/products/jt-200serpent.jpg

Comment

Guitar Center near me has two or three Jay Turser guitars. They look good from 10 feet away... I was afraid to get any closer.

Pics, man, PICS!

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
              Nice to hear someone got some joy out of a brand I gave up on several years ago... BCR that is.

Well, can't say I haven't been sceptical
              I know BCR is still suffering from Class Axe Stigma
              and past years, all that came up around here were either Bronze/silver locks or busted up USAs
              where new ones were either not my taste (Ballsack headstock) or out of my intended pricerange

AFAIK these korean Riches are made in the same plant that builds PRS SE's and ESP LTD's

I'll see what I can do about pics, don't expect them this year though
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
                Also, I always thought this was a bad ass Jay Turser...

http://jayturser.com/images/products/jt-200serpent.jpg
                I used to have that model, but in transparent green. Wasnt a bad ax at all, though I did replace the stock bridge p/u with a Dimebucker. The inlay was very meticulous.
                Last edited by Twitch; 12-29-2010, 07:18 PM.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                X