Ibanez RG1550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG1550

I'm thinking I want a basswood body/ maple neck shredder which naturally leads me to Ibanez. I'm looking into a used RG1550M prestige. Has any one ever played one? Any thoughts? They look like pretty descent guitars. I'm going to replace the pups as well.

579529.jpg

Played a rotten pumpkin (or whatever they call the orange color). Killer axe. A steal for $999 and if you can get a better deal, more power to you. Loved it.

Ibanez has the best "notch" position sound of anything this way of a Strat (actually I like the 2 & 4 position more on most Ibanez guitars than on a Strat). The stock pickups sound great as well - I wouldn't feel the need to change them at all - they're made in USA by Dimarzio - basically a Tone Zone and an Air Norton (I believe).

Great feeling necks on these as well. I like the up scale model as well with the actual Dimarzios and the shark teeth outline inlays - very nice - just played one this weekend. Wife said "It looks just like your other white guitars" which is, of course, WRONG!!!

Get it!!! Get the orange one and you might have a buyer when that day inevitably comes...
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Yes these are great axes. I have the POISONED PUMPKIN (Grandturk). The blue and orange come with an edge pro while the white comes with the newer edge zero (not as good IMO). You'll have to replace the pickups though...

Comment

Check also for used RG550s... I got 2 of them as they can be bought used for cheap... I could not resist! And both are my main axes now. YMMV but I'm with Grandturk, the PUs on these are decent and don't see why they would need to be changed. But this is all a matte of personal taste.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I have a PAF pro and a YJM sitting around, so I might as well use them. I'll probably throw some kind of duncan into the bridge.

Comment

YJM's sound like poop in guitars with full sized humbuckers. They are so low output you'll never get them to balance properly. With other singles they are OK - but even up against a Dimarzio Blue Velvet, the YMMV is weak. I think the best results are in a guitar with all other YJMs. YMMV.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

While it doesn't have a maple neck, Musicians friend is selling the RG2550E Prestige w/case for $699.99. Great deal compared to the $999.99 they wanted not to long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 10secondLX View Post
                While it doesn't have a maple neck, Musicians friend is selling the RG2550E Prestige w/case for $699.99. Great deal compared to the $999.99 they wanted not to long ago.
                +1 At that price it's a nice deal.
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                  Check also for used RG550s... I got 2 of them as they can be bought used for cheap... I could not resist! And both are my main axes now. YMMV but I'm with Grandturk, the PUs on these are decent and don't see why they would need to be changed. But this is all a matte of personal taste.

These are really amazing built guitars... And I usually hate the Ibanez's I play.

Comment

Working...
                  X