My first Gibson!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Gibson!

So, I went to the local musicstore last thursday to get myself a guitarstand....proceed to check out the axes in stock..and behold, there is a Gibson autumn special. I pick up this beauty and start jamming. I immediately notice the meaty weight of the guitar, and the neck is way thicker than other SG's I've tried. Very loud acoustically! More reminiscent of a Les Paul than any SG. Nice fretwork. So I go plug it into a JVM...jam on it for a while. I'm really digging it. And the price was like 35% off retail...so I went for it on the spot! My first Gibson!
    The fit/finish isn't top notch but I'll give it 7/10. I don't think it would have killed them to use real MOP trapeze inlays rather than plastic. There's MOP headstock inlays and those are very nice! The tuners aren't very good either, but decent, so I'll probably swap them for some Grovers at some point. But the guitar was had pretty cheap so I can cope. The biggest complaint is that there are two different marks on the front of the guitar, parallell to the neck. They are symmetrical and completely straight, only visible when holding it up in the light. The seller offered me a different one straight out of the box, but that guitar was much lighter and did not feel the same to me. We even did the blindfold check for fun and I called it He also said it is a good rule to buy the one you vibe with!
    (and yes I know him well so he wasn't trying to get rid of a "duckling")
    Call it superstition...mojo..whatever..this guitar totally rocks! Awesome for metal riffing.

I am -not- an impulse buyer of guitars, and my main players are USA Jacksons so this was a very pleasant surprise. I'm very rarely impressed by newer Gibson models in general, even the more expensive ones. This guitar went a way to restore my faith in them :thumbsup: now I just need a goldtop and a black custom to round off the collection

Here are some pics (sorry for the quality)

Not bad, not bad at all.

I've always had a soft spot for SGs. I actually played a new white one this weekend that I liked... it just wasn't a strat...
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

SGs don't get the credit they deserve in rock history. Nice buy, congrats.

Comment

Klusen tuners are good tuners just clean the nut slots because they just rough cut them.Use a piece of 1000 grit paper and fold it to fit the slot,a couple of passes thru the slots and a little nut sauce and you'll be good to go.
        Nice guitar I love SG's too.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          it just wasn't a strat...
          Heavy Metal was born on an SG...

Comment

Nice guitar, I had the exact same one until I got my Les Paul.. the tuners are actually really nice, mine never went out of tune

Comment

Nice guitar! But I'd caution against putting "nut sauce" anywhere near your guitar!!!
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
              X