No announcement yet.

How to tell what model Jackson you have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's non-recessed. Same model then. There were versions with sharkfins and versions with dots.

I myself only first heard about that guitar recently. It's forever etched into my memory because of its uniqueness.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      Yes, it's non-recessed. Same model then. There were versions with sharkfins and versions with dots.

I myself only first heard about that guitar recently. It's forever etched into my memory because of its uniqueness.
      What model IS it???
      I just remember "Dinky Reverse" in the name.

Comment

Jackson JD-R Pro from Musician's Friend, as per the first link I provided (the one with the photo).

Comment

Jackson JD-R Pro from Musician's Friend, as per the first link I provided (the one with the photo).
          I googled "Jackson JD-R Pro", and all of the images that come up are similar guitars, but with recessed tremolos.

although "JDR Dinky Reverse" does sound very familiar from when I ordered the guitar. (I DID get it from Musicians Friend)

Comment

You would probably be the better judge, given you actually remember something about the name of the guitar when you first bought it, and this model is not captured in the catalogs anywhere to be referenced.

If you do discover the true name for it and it's not something we previously guessed, definitely share! The guitar is quite distinctive, and since learning that vague "Jackson JD-R Pro" name, at least two people have posted on Facebook trying to identify theirs, and that's the response I gave them. Going forward I'd like to quote the correct model name so I don't steer people wrong.

Comment

Delete this
              Last edited by RR2772; 06-10-2019, 06:07 PM.
              What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

You would probably be the better judge, given you actually remember something about the name of the guitar when you first bought it, and this model is not captured in the catalogs anywhere to be referenced.

If you do discover the true name for it and it's not something we previously guessed, definitely share! The guitar is quite distinctive, and since learning that vague "Jackson JD-R Pro" name, at least two people have posted on Facebook trying to identify theirs, and that's the response I gave them. Going forward I'd like to quote the correct model name so I don't steer people wrong.
                I just discovered (via looking at various pics) that the body is very similar (maybe even identical) to a Charvel model 3.

Comment

It certainly has some similarities with the Charvel Model 3 including HSS pickup layout, one volume control, one tone control, and non-recessed trem, but the Model 3's body is a true full-sized Strat body while your guitar is a typical Dinky body.

Comment

It certainly has some similarities with the Charvel Model 3 including HSS pickup layout, one volume control, one tone control, and non-recessed trem, but the Model 3's body is a true full-sized Strat body while your guitar is a typical Dinky body.
                    I just chatted online with musician's friend customer service, and asked about a Jackson Dinky model that was exclusive to them in the 90s.
                    Said they were aware of it but couldn't tell me a model name.
                    She gave me a number to call Jackson. Going to try that in the AM.

Comment

I assuming the Musician's Friend customer service agent actually gave you Fender's telephone number. If so, Fender will not be able to help for Jackson guitars prior to 2002, which was when they acquired Jackson. It's like the period before 2002 never existed to them.

Comment

Thanks. I at least know the neck and headstock are Japanese and 90's

Comment

I'm sorry for reopening this post.
                          I own a Randy Rhoads with 7 digits serial starting with 97. It's trans blue with one knob and 3-way toggle switch and the headstock is without the "professional" writing.
                          Even if someone said it has to be an RX10D I think it's an RR3 (one of those with single master knob). I suppose this by the low profile tremolo and because of the quality of the guitar, I also think the body it's poplar but I can't confirm because I can only see the maple through the transparent finish.
                          There's another guitar I want to buy and it's very strange. It's a dinky with reverse headstock (only Jackson logo) and reverse inlays, stoptail bridge and the DR3 configuration with two pots and 3-way toggle switch. I also have the larger cover for electronics like the old DR3 and the pickup frames (I think frames were only present in the 1998 version). The serial starts with 96 and has 7 digits.
                          Can you confirm my doubts about these guitars? Can the Dinky be special model like the first post said?
                          Thank you in advance for every reply

Comment

From what I recall, the 97 serials started sometime in 1997, but continued on through the closure of the Japan factory. 98 serials were used to denote models made outside of Japan starting in 1998. At least I think that's how it went. It's been a number of years.

Bolt-ons can be easily identified by removing the neck. The model will be stamped on the neck heel and in the neck pocket on the body. However, anything held on by screws has the potential to have been swapped out by a previous owner, so you could easily find an RR3 neck on an RX10D body.

One cannot identify any guitar by the bridge alone, since those are the easiest things to swap, except for those crapass Kahler "locking vintage trem" looking thing found on the early Charvel Model models.

The RR3 never came in a "master volume only" version, as far as I recall, but the RX10D was known to have only a volume knob. If there's no control cavity cover on the front like the USA RR-1, then it cannot be an RR3. I have seen an RX10D where someone put such a plate on the top for aesthetic purposes, but there was still the original cover on the back.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The RR3 did have only one volume and toggle switch when they made them with those weird "gravure" photo flame/quilted tops. Check the 1997 catalog, page 6. https://assets.ctfassets.net/4jcppge...97-catalog.pdf
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hi I’m new here, learning a lot. Can anyone tell me what I’m looking at here? Says San Dimas but isn’t it Ontario? Same thing? 86? Or later? Thanks!
                                https://reverb.com/item/33246808-jac...imas-1986-3675

Comment

Working...
                                X