Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to tell what model Jackson you have

Great job there Newc! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    I have a couple of comments that you could add to the info to make it more "complete". [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Another easy method of spotting an Indian-made model is if it has dot inlays - the 12th fret dots will be spaced widely like a Mighty Mite Strat neck or Gibson Explorer or V, whereas Japanese-made models will be closer together like a Fender Strat neck.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Recently the indian made JS models also come with the close dot spacing, like the Japanese and the US models.

[ QUOTE ]
    -Neckthrough models always get their serials stamped into the end of the fretboard after the last fret and begin with "J" followed by 6 numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Some of the model series neck-through Charvels had the serial on a sticker on the back of the head, under the clearcoat. My 1987 Model 6 is an example of that. I don't know exactly which year they started stamping it into the fretboard, but my 1989 750XL has the stamped serial. Also, it may be worth adding that the import Charvel neck-throughs have the same sort of serializing as the neck-through Jacksons, only starting with a "C" instead of J.

Comment

excellent work ..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        How to tell what model Jackson you have

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. Just post a pic and have Newc identify it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Killer, Newc! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] The only glitch I spotted was the one you suspected yourself wrt the Charvel Fusion & 475. They were both introduced in '89 and were distinct models. The 475 was part of the "Classic Series" and was a 25.5" scale model that was basically the continuation of the Model 4 (sharkies, 22 frets, HSS, JE-1200) but with a Dinky body. The Fusions had the short scale, dots, and 24 frets.

Comment

hye man, nice job. i'd also like to see the different body woods for every different mode. (body wood is the most important feature to me).
            i want to know what models are poplar vs, basswood, vs alder. and i know it changed over the years.

but very nice and informative. they should make ever Jackson sales associat read that shit and have a little printout behind the counter so they can pretend they know what they are talking about.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Thanks for the updates all [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

As for the 92 Fusion - I'd say that was a non-U.S. model (meaning not available in the US market) but, like I said, Jackson did some wierd things in the mid 90s.

The KE-3 with 7 digits could have been made in 2003 - the 7 digit serials are still in use for Japanese-made models. Can't see how I missed that in the original post, but I did [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

And you're right, the JS30s have close dots. But then again, those are still such a new model that if you have one, you should know it's a JS30 model.

Body woods and such will be left up to the MOAIP.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I should state that Charvel bolt-on serials do not indicate the years they were made like the Jackson serials do.

Charvel neckthrough serials were C6, C7, C8, and C9 for 1986-1989, but the bolt ons started (presumably) with 220000 (though no one has seen a number that low or lower to confirm).

As well, there have been rare instances of Professional models stamped with a 1989 serial number. There would naturally be some transitional pieces such as this, however, they're rare. This is mostly for the benefit of the larger majority who come here looking to ID what model they have.
                Since the rare models are so rare, not everyone has one as compared to a Guitar Center DK2 or Kelly or Rhoads, etc.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] Definate Sticky Material [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what she said... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    in 1996, Jackson went to what are known as the "96" serials, where every bolt-on serial made in Japan started with "96". The serial number also had 7 numbers at this point. There are some serials that start with "97" and "98" as well, but they all have 7 digits.

<font color="orange"> *If you have a bolt-on Jackson that only says "Jackson" on the head, and the serial number starts with 96, 97, or 98, it was made in Japan in 1998. </font>
                    In the mid-90s, Jackson went to a sticker on the back of the head for serial numbers, and all the ones I've seen started with J and had 6 or more numbers.
                    Again, these also said Professional on the head, so they were made prior to 1998.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slight correction, the 96 numbers went chronological, so 97s were later, not all in the 1998 timeframe. There's already some confusion you caused. I have a KVX10 purchased brand new in early 2004, and the sn is 9702641. I also have a DXMG that I believe is a 2003 and that sn is 9690331. These are both MIJ, pre 2002 X series were made in India.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Also, how about a general reminder that all USA models made before 1990 were effectively "customs," and that model numbers like SL1 or RR1 only apply to the USA Select Series. Great work, by the way. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        and that model numbers like SL1 or RR1 only apply to the USA Select Series. Great work, by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, certain designations are US, others (RR3, KV4, etc) are Japanese. Even the -1 or -2 doesn't follow, ergo the Japanese DK2. Good that you brought up this "2 letter, 1 number" naming scheme. I like to point out that it didn't start until around 1995. Ie, no such thing technically as a 1988 RR1.

Comment

Or a 1990-94 xx1.

As for the alleged confusion, that's why I asked that if anyone had any clarifications/more solid info to please post it here, Mr Smarmy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

One last point about the XTRR or Danny Spitz model - if you have one, chances are pretty good you know it's an XTRR or Danny Spitz model. Same with a JJ. If you have it, you should know it's a JJ, and you should know it's a Scott Ian model. There is the rare occasion where someone gets one just because they like the shape but know nothing of Jacksons period.

By the same token, if you have a USA Rhoads from any year, you probably already know that it's a USA Rhoads.

When I have more time later this week, I'll break down all the various import Dinky models, since those are the widest-ranging and most commonly asked about models around here. I've got a few catalogs from the "experimental" years, but I'm missing quite a few of the mid-90's catalogs which have the "only for this year" models.

As I said before I won't go into body woods and other detailed specs - someone else is already working on that - unless it's absolutely necessary in determining the model exactly or is otherwise substantially different from a similarly-named model (i.e. some Dinkys had ash bodies for one or two years, then that model went to alder/poplar or whatnot, but kept the name, etc)

Comment

How great would it be if Jackson wrote

Any Jackson that says "Professional" on the headstock was made in Japan

at the top of the sn page at the website? A lot of eBay foolishness could be stopped. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

why do the years between 87 and 89 share serial numbers when all other years are specified? I own a 1987-89 DK1 bolt-on USA, the problem is that i would really like to know which of those years it actually was manufactured...

thanks for the good reading though

Comment

Because anything made before 1990 was a Custom Shop, and they did not follow a strict a numbering scheme (some were even out of sequence, and at one time you could specify the number).

And that wouldn't be a DK1 or Dinky USA - it's a Dinky Custom if it has ebony and fins and binding.

Comment

Working...
                                X