Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel designed Gibson.... ?

Hi huys !

This Charvel designed Gibson, I believe SR-71. I was wondering what it's worth. It is extremely light and plays like a Gibson. The sound is strong and cutting. Thanks for any info or opinions in advance.

SR-71_1
    SR-71_2
    SR-71_3

Re: Charvel designed Gibson.... ?

Looks like a U2 to me. Book puts them at around $600, but I think real world is around $400-500. The SR71 is $400-550, real world I would say $300 and it wont fly out the door at that either.

Comment

Was it named after the SR-71 Blackbird (Plane)?

Or just a coincidence?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Was it named after the SR-71 Blackbird (Plane)?

Or just a coincidence?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my guess if there was another similar model named the U-2.

Comment

Hey Paul,

I know nothing about it, but, it looks pretty cool.

Comment

It looks nice, the 3 switches I could do withouth (simplify dammit) and I would have prefered a Floyd in there but that's a great shredder of a Gibson.
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I like Charvels work with Gibson. I own a Q-80 bass that is Charvel designed. It's very balanced, comfortable, and a great player.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Looks like a U2 to me. Book puts them at around $600, but I think real world is around $400-500. The SR71 is $400-550, real world I would say $300 and it wont fly out the door at that either.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Jim,

Can you shoot us a picture of an SR-71 ? I've had people tell me this was a US-1, now you say US-2 ?!? So please enlighten me/us if you will. It would be great if we could get some literature on this. I'm gonna call Gibson right now ! I'll let yall know what they say !!

[img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, here's the poop straight from Gibson:

U-2 Asymmetrical double cutaway body shape similar to Fender Strat. basswood body, contoured back, 2 single coil pickups and 1 HPAF humbucking pickup, Floyd Rose vibrato, 2 knobs, 3 mini-switches, 6 on a side tuners. Introduced 1987, renamed Mach-II 1990, discontinued 1991.

** So Jim was right, it is a U-2. But the serial number reveals that this was the 1st one made ! Just kidding !

Thanks Jim !

Comment

<font color="aqua">I believe I told you that was a U2 on the phone bro! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

</font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      <font color="aqua">I believe I told you that was a U2 on the phone bro! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the Monday morning quarterback !!

You were right Dave ! Good call !!

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

yep Jim is correct, the US-1 is basically a U-2 with a dressup. flame top, natural or burst finish, & chromyte (balsa wood) in the body. the SR-71 has a different headstock but is also a very similar guitar. im pretty sure the SR-71 had WC or WRC on the truss rod cover as well

Comment

That logo...on that headstock...just looks wrong! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            ...the SR-71 has a different headstock but is also a very similar guitar...

[/ QUOTE ]
                            yeah, don't they have the banana/explorer headstock ?

Comment

this is a gibson wrc...as for the sr-71?...i cant find a pic but i seem to remember a white one here in atlanta and the top of the body was not flat but angled back at angles from center...very hard to describe...d.m.
                              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                              X