Help identifying a late 80's Charvel Rainbow Crackle SSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying a late 80's Charvel Rainbow Crackle SSS

Hi all, I'm trying to ID this guitar so I can add it to my insurance rider. Looking to figure out what it's valued at. My brother got it brand new from Guitar Center in '88 or '89. It looks like a Model 8, but doesn't have a reverse headstock. Some odd GC exclusive or something? Any ideas?

Thanks!!

measure it. The Fusion will be 24 3/4".
    There was an SSS version and it had a JT-590.
    BUT, it was not an 80s guitar.

My concern, however, and others can chime in if they have personal experience - there is a nut and a nutlock. The best I can recall, Jackson had stopped using the separate units by this time.

Comment

Further inspection of the images....
      that tremolo and the headstock are not matched

The neck comes from a 1986 maybe early 87 guitar, most likely with a Kahler or possibly a JT-6.

and the serial number...
      while we can't date these units using the serial, we can at least state that this was a "later" serial. Certainly does not belong on an 86.
      Last edited by pianoguyy; 03-18-2023, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Wow. That’s interesting. I can’t imagine why my brother would have swapped the neck, but sounds like that must have happened. Any thoughts on what it’s worth?

Comment

It is worth plugging into an amp and playing.

Comment

Originally posted by therealstevethedog View Post
            Wow. That’s interesting. I can’t imagine why my brother would have swapped the neck, but sounds like that must have happened. Any thoughts on what it’s worth?
            Selling it to me? Haha but on a serious note, that's a really cool guitar.

Comment

As I posted on the Facebook page earlier today that neck and tremolo have been swapped. Definitely has JT-6 trem studs, but also IMHO the Schaller is an upgrade and isn't detrimental to it. I don't have a 1988 catalog to compare to, but they're listed as Spectrums in the 1989 and up catalogs. IMHO the body is probably original, but the rest of it is not.

Comment

Looks like a spectrum with a neck change.

Comment

That's a model 8 or spectrum, but the neck should be reverse head with toothpaste logo for the spectrum, or '88 and earlier charvel logo for the 8. .
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                    Looks like a spectrum with a neck change.
                    Yep. agree
                    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

spectrum with a changed neck...mine has the exact same control layout...d.m.
                      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                      X