Question on unique Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on unique Model 4

Sorry for a long post but would love some help. If i'm in the wrong forum let me know.

I worked at IMC in Fort Worth in the late 80's. While there I purchased a guitar from the basement shop. (1987-88 can't remember).

It's a Model 4. Pickups are Jackson - One double coil, 2 single coil, three knobs and three little switches. Dot style neck with NO logo. Kahler 2300 Tremolo.

I was told by the shop guys it was one of the prototypes built (by Jackson Ontario maybe?) so they could deicide on colors and such for Japanese production. I have no way to clarify this.

It has a Fort Worth neck plate 239777. Some Japan Model 4's had 220000-250000. Or so I've read.

The easy answer is it's an 86 Japanese Charvel. But... Mine came from the Fort Worth basement in metallic GREEN and they never produced a green 86 Model 4. I sold a bunch of Cobalt Blue ones but only found this green color in 89 and later models. And no Model 4's.

It's not for sale I'm just looking for answers. Could I have a prototype or a repaint? Was I duped at the time? I didn't think I'd care 35 years later.

Sorry again for the long post but any thoughts on what I have or how to verify it?

I bought the guitar for my brother who recently passed. It's very sentimental to me so I've been afraid to pull it apart.

Thanks and again sorry if this is long and hard to follow. Leo

Originally posted by LeoD721 View Post
    Sorry for a long post but would love some help. If i'm in the wrong forum let me know.

I worked at IMC in Fort Worth in the late 80's. While there I purchased a guitar from the basement shop. (1987-88 can't remember).

It's a Model 4. Pickups are Jackson - One double coil, 2 single coil, three knobs and three little switches. Dot style neck with NO logo. Kahler 2300 Tremolo.

I was told by the shop guys it was one of the prototypes built (by Jackson Ontario maybe?) so they could deicide on colors and such for Japanese production. I have no way to clarify this.

It has a Fort Worth neck plate 239777. Some Japan Model 4's had 220000-250000. Or so I've read.

The easy answer is it's an 86 Japanese Charvel. But... Mine came from the Fort Worth basement in metallic GREEN and they never produced a green 86 Model 4. I sold a bunch of Cobalt Blue ones but only found this green color in 89 and later models. And no Model 4's.

It's not for sale I'm just looking for answers. Could I have a prototype or a repaint? Was I duped at the time? I didn't think I'd care 35 years later.

Sorry again for the long post but any thoughts on what I have or how to verify it?

I bought the guitar for my brother who recently passed. It's very sentimental to me so I've been afraid to pull it apart.

Can you provide pictures, that would be helpful.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Trying to upload. New to forum.

Comment

I'm not authorized to attach photos. I guess

Comment

I'm not authorized to attach photos. I guess
          Model 4

Click image for larger version

Name:	Model 4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2551172
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I'm sorry i still get an error that says i'm not authorized to upload or attach. i will reach out to the admins

Comment

I'm sorry i still get an error that says i'm not authorized to upload or attach. i will reach out to the admins
              You'll have to find a photo hosting site.

Comment

Model 4 that I built.

Click image for larger version

Name:	model 4 mutt I painted.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2551176

Comment

To post pictures you need to upload the pictures to something like imgur, the copy and paste the link in your post.

Yes, it sounds like an 86 M4. Is the green the dark dark green (almost black) with small metallic flakes? I have an 89 550XL in that color. If so, it is a Charvel color, but sounds like they just didn't go for it in 1986. If it is a color MIJ Jackson never used, it would make me more suspicious. I'd look in the neck pocket, pickup cavities and control cavity to try to determine if it is a refinish.

Since you worked for the company and purchased it from them, I'd think it would be legit. Why would they lie about it to their own employee?

Comment

https://www.axebition.com/electric-g...harvel-model-4

Comment

I am a little confused by the post....
                      You worked at IMC. You bought it from IMC. But you don't trust IMC?

But, to answer the question:
                      Yes, it is completely possible that it is a repaint, but at the same time it is completely possible that it is a test unit. And, yes, of course, you could have been duped.

Comment

Working...
                      X