No announcement yet.

How did "Student" model got their name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did "Student" model got their name?

I've always wondered how the 'Student' models, such as Student Rhoads, Student Strat, etc., got their name.

My wild speculation was that these were made by apprentice level builders. Does anyone knows more about these guitars?

pretty sure the marketing was as simple as student model for student musicians, custom model for professionals

Comment

While we love their guitars (otherwise, why would we be here), there a lot of things we'd like to change about Jackson. The names are one of them.

Student - is not a cheap guitar, it is not a mini guitar. It is simply the plain version. It is what every guitar is underneath all the flash.
      Dinky - again, not a mini guitar. Not to mention the years of the locker room jokes.... he plays with his dinky.
      Soloist - I envision (from the 80s) the blazing fast 'make your ears bleed' fingerobics on the high frets for 2 bars of a song. But they are very good for rhythm, too.

... just to name a few

Comment

Student is not a model, it is a version. Maybe students did not have cash for bling versions, name makes sense.

Dinky has clearly smaller body than strat(ocaster), model name makes sense, I think. In Finnish-(British) English dictionary synonyms for Dinky are: cute, nice, lovely, pretty..

Soloist gives easier high fret access than Strat(ocaster) or even a bolt-on Dinky. Name makes sense in a Way.
        My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Zedder View Post
          Dinky has clearly smaller body than strat(ocaster), model name makes sense, I think. In Finnish-(British) English dictionary synonyms for Dinky are: cute, nice, lovely, pretty..

Soloist gives easier high fret access than Strat(ocaster) or even a bolt-on Dinky. Name makes sense in a Way.
          The Dinky and Soloist are the same size bodies, smaller than the Strat (I think they used to say about 7/8 the size). Access to high frets is about the same, but maybe a tiny bit easier due to the neck-thru construction of the Soloist.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I wonder why the names “Dinky” and “Soloist,” etc. never make it on to the actual instrument the same way “Stratocaster,” et al, does?

Comment

Originally posted by scm View Post
              I wonder why the names “Dinky” and “Soloist,” etc. never make it on to the actual instrument the same way “Stratocaster,” et al, does?
              For the import Professionals, yes the models after the intro year did tell you the exact model if that’s what you mean.
              Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
              My collection also there!

Comment

Oh, how? stripped down guitars! Me being tall, I wish upon a star. Fucking idiots
                Last edited by john.w.lawson; 02-16-2023, 12:06 AM.
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

Oh, how? stripped down guitars! Me being tall, I wish a star. Fucking idiots
                  ???

Comment

Originally posted by Mechayoshi View Post
                    For the import Professionals, yes the models after the intro year did tell you the exact model if that’s what you mean.
                    Ok, was not aware of that. I know my Dinky doesn’t have Dinky stamped on it anywhere. I was at GC last week and saw a Soloist, and again no moniker there. Just seems odd to me since most other guitars have the names stamped on them somewhere.

Comment

Ok, was not aware of that. I know my Dinky doesn’t have Dinky stamped on it anywhere. I was at GC last week and saw a Soloist, and again no moniker there. Just seems odd to me since most other guitars have the names stamped on them somewhere.
                      All Dinkies have a D rather D and a year or customs just I bla bu bla bu bla
                      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

All Dinkies have a D rather D and a year or customs just I bla bu bla bu bla
                        Clear as mud.

Comment

Working...
                        X