Mystery (To Me) Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery (To Me) Guitar

This came into my shop and I purchased it just because it's so odd and I have never seen one. Can anyone give me some information regarding this guitar? Serial number is 232723 The model says 3 Red GTM 6, but when I put that in Google, I get nothing that looks like this body.

Last edited by model4m; 09-15-2022, 09:24 PM.

I'm starting to think the body, while very well done, is a handmade one done in someone's garage.

Comment

I was gonna say, I've never seen a charvel with that body or configuration. the shape is reminiscent of the jackson infinity, but more archtop-py and more exaggerated. I like it.

also the checking you see on the body is indicative of nitrocellulose lacquer which would be an anachronism here for a charvel body.

FYI the GTM-6 is referring to the MIDI electronics you see in the control cavity.

Comment

Serial number (presumably on the neckplate which is not depicted) is a Japanese serial number format. Neck is a Japanese Charvel Model Series neck, although at the moment I'm struggling to recall which Model Series guitar had a rosewood fretboard with no locking nut.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          Serial number (presumably on the neckplate which is not depicted) is a Japanese serial number format. Neck is a Japanese Charvel Model Series neck, although at the moment I'm struggling to recall which Model Series guitar had a rosewood fretboard with no locking nut.
          I would have guessed an early Model 1 neck. I don't know if the early ones were all maple or not. I have a scan of the '88 catalog, and all the Model 1's (1, 1A, and 1C) in it are maple.

Comment

There's something like this on ebay somewhere. I saw it doing random down pages look's. Probably couldn't find it again I was clicked on a Jackson soloist star, so it might be Japan only?
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by model4m View Post
              I'm starting to think the body, while very well done, is a handmade one done in someone's garage.
              I agree it looks very well done, but I don't think it's a legit Charvel or Jackson body.

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
              There's something like this on ebay somewhere. I saw it doing random down pages look's. Probably couldn't find it again I was clicked on a Jackson soloist star, so it might be Japan only?
              When I first saw it my first thought maybe it was some kind of modded Jackson JJ body with a Model series neck on it, but then I remembered the JJ's didn't have different length upper and lower horns. I'm in agreement with model4m that it's a body someone's had made and a mutt.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

I agree it looks very well done, but I don't think it's a legit Charvel or Jackson body.

When I first saw it my first thought maybe it was some kind of modded Jackson JJ body with a Model series neck on it, but then I remembered the JJ's didn't have different length upper and lower horns. I'm in agreement with model4m that it's a body someone's had made and a mutt.
                Model one's never had rosewood Bro, ever~
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Wasn't too sure if I really wanted it, but, I knew no one was going to buy it from the shop, so I decided to pull the trigger and bring it home with me. I'm in the process of scanning the case candy, but, while not a Jackson/Charvel body, it's a fun player. Pics incoming.

Comment

Working...
                  X