Question about a body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a body

My brother gave me an 80s Charvel and the body was really trashed but I loved the neck.....so I looked around a few years back and found a brand new body at a music store in Vegas that had the neck broken off. I got a great deal on it and have been playing it for a few years with the old neck on the new body. I want a custom pickguard but can't tell the folks what the body is to order one. It is a Black shiny strat style body with two humbuckers. It has only one volume knob and no tone knob. The Pickup selector is a toggle, not a blade. I am sure it was made in the US. I am not sure if the neck plate is from the old neck or the new body.....It is Chrome and black embossed sn# 001851, says made in USA San Dimas, PO BOx, etc. It has a ce sticker on it so I am not sure if they did that in the 80s. Any help would be great....it is crying out fo a Custom Pickguard as the one it has is kind of a flat black.
    thanks
    rick

Originally posted by Rwinking View Post
    My brother gave me an 80s Charvel and the body was really trashed but I loved the neck.....so I looked around a few years back and found a brand new body at a music store in Vegas that had the neck broken off. I got a great deal on it and have been playing it for a few years with the old neck on the new body. I want a custom pickguard but can't tell the folks what the body is to order one. It is a Black shiny strat style body with two humbuckers. It has only one volume knob and no tone knob. The Pickup selector is a toggle, not a blade. I am sure it was made in the US. I am not sure if the neck plate is from the old neck or the new body.....It is Chrome and black embossed sn# 001851, says made in USA San Dimas, PO BOx, etc. It has a ce sticker on it so I am not sure if they did that in the 80s. Any help would be great....it is crying out fo a Custom Pickguard as the one it has is kind of a flat black.
    thanks
    rick
    Japan neck plate, have to look in the neck pocket or trem cavity for indicators of bodies origin or model number.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Odds are, they don't have a pickguard for a "1980s USA Charvel".
      You are most likely going to have to route something.

Comment

A picture may help with identity

Comment

Is it odd that the neck plate says Made in USA and then someone said it is a Japanese body? I'll try for a picture. Maybe I was not clear....there is a pickguard and it is not an 80s body. The 80s body died so I had the neck put on a brand new Charvel body, made in America (I thought) with Dimarzios. Since it is newer, if I can find out what the body is, they most likely will have a pickguard template.

Comment

Is it odd that the neck plate says Made in USA and then someone said it is a Japanese body?
            No, not at all. In fact, it is a common misconception that a Ft. Worth neck plate means it was made in America.
            But what is weird, is the fact that you said it has a San Dimas neck plate, which is not the same as Ft. Worth.

Comment

Maybe I was not clear....
              No, you weren't. At least, not to that extent.

Comment

Here's a shot of the guitar in question....I've never used imgur so hopefully....https://rwinking.imgur.com/all

Comment

your link does not work for me. Most Charvel guitars in the rebirth since fender came with duncan pickups I believe. I don't remember a pick guard guitar with a toggle switch instead of a blade either. the post fender guitars with pick guards I think were all so cal models, some were us, some mexico built. The ce sticker on the neck plate would make it post fender. makes me think it may be a pro mod body with a pick guard added. what does it look like under the pick guard?

Comment

Weird that the link doesn't work....Try this?

??????https://imgur.com/X4SKf28

??????https://imgur.com/cPCl1iN

Comment

body is from the 2008-201? usa production model series. the neck plate is from that newer body.

you can get a pickguard for it. you could send your pickguard to somebody to make a custom replacement, or you can order a strat pickguard from warmoth with the floyd cutout specified. note that if you do the latter, the screw holes will be slightly off (though you can usually the guard to fit if you drive all the screws in slowly) and the horn will be more pointed than it is on the charvel.
                      Last edited by metalhobo; 09-15-2022, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a pre fender USA something? Is there a name for this model? A lot of times if I know the model and the year the pick guard people already have the template handy. I'm thinking the guitar is not all that rare.

Comment

not pre-fender. fmic bought j/c in 2002. your body is from 2008 or later. the model name is usa profuction model so-cal style 1 2h.

Comment

From this series: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...46#post2539846

Standard Black (your finish) was the standard across all years of production, so your guitar's finish alone would not indicate the month and year of production of your Standard Black So-Cal like it would for any of the Batch Custom Colors. To find your month and year of production, remove the neck from the body and check for the date stamp in the neck pocket, like the one seen in the photo below of my 2009 Polar White So-Cal:

Comment

Working...
                            X