No announcement yet.

Holy grail/best all time models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holy grail is kind of a personal thing...i've owned plenty of charvels and jacksons and the 89 gc 25th anniversary usa dinky i have now is pretty much my new number one...its an 89 and has one of those necks like mick thompson's...extremely thin and almost plays itself...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

My unicorns are the AT Pro and the 750XL.

Comment

Two words: Cock Dragon
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Lynch sub camo for me.

Amir Derakh's camo painted Jacksons are badass too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
            Two words: Cock Dragon

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys! Another question, which maybe I could search here but seems appropriate in this thread, is does everyone here feel that pre-Fender Jackson and Charvel was better? Or the quality the same? Considering Mike Shannon is still there, I've seen a lot of endorsees say that means Jackson's the same as when they were playing them in the 80s.

Comment

To answer the question, without actually answering it.
                Some may say that quality dropped before Fender took over (which may explain why the company went broke), which would mean that if Fender kept quality the same, they were still dogs.
                Others will clamor for the original San Dimas guitars. While I prefer the early Ontario guitars.

So, to each their own.

I will say this much, though -
                The Charvel name has been tarnished with all of the mismanagement... starting with Wayne Charvel, all the way through to today. Great guitars when you buy a great one. But there were so many blunders inbetween.

Comment

Musical changed so did the demand for hot rod axes.

I'd still like to try a MIM Charvel strat or get another 05 re-issue pointy and give it a chance. I really should have trusted my gut when I bought the SL-2 PRO series (the new ones) and not gotten it, but people not brought up on older J/C stuff probably love 'em.

Holy Grail is a state of mine a personal perspective. You can make any guitar play like a dream, either by doing setups and changing parts yourself or paying someone to do it for you. JMO
                  I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

My Charvel Holy grails are the Model 6, & the Model 2. IMO, YMMV.

Comment

My holy grail was a 89 usa dinky Rev. in lightning Stonehenge paint job with hum/ single pickups .I wish I still had it.I love to find it an make a nice offer on it

Comment

My personal holy grail is Jackson PCS series Dan Spitz 10 string Rhoads
                        http://www.jcguitars.com/zdanspitz10.htm

This model is VERY hard to come by. As far as I know, I know of two person who has it (of course, I do not know them personally...).

In general, San Dimas era guitars are the ones you would want. Their build quality is superb.
                        Last edited by Nidec; 02-09-2022, 12:32 AM.

Comment

It does make me smile how the Model series is so revered: that was my era, I had a Model 4, my guitar partner in the band had a Model 6, nearly every band we played with had at least one Model series guitar in the band,and they were in all the shops. I guess what I'm saying is, even though they are great guitars, they weren't rare - no one ever said "wow, you've got Model series Charvel". Unlike the sound engineer at a gig I played who freaked when he realised I had a USA Charvel on stage, and it was only my spare guitar for the gig.

For me, the holy grail will always be a USA Jackson Firebird.

Comment

Originally posted by darrellm View Post
                            For me, the holy grail will always be a USA Jackson Firebird.
                            Holy shit, I forgot about Jackson Firebirds. I take it back. My personal holy grail is also these firebirds!

Jackson pisses me off on that regard, as Jackson Custom Shop have always refused to make those for personal orders (after they were bought by FMIC, and saying they can not make any Gibson shaped body), yet they churned them out time to time as one-off runs (for a few custom shop dealers) and were presented on NAMM shows.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              While the other MIJ guitars were nice, don't let sales pitches steer you wrong.
                              The best Jackson MIJ guitars were the Professional Pro guitars.

Not the Pro. Not the Professional. Not MIJ in general. The Professional Pro.
                              Those are the ones (and the Model Series) that are considered "equal" to the US models.
                              Why is the "Professional Pro" considered better than other Professional soloists (or other Professional models) that have rosewood boards and (assumingly) flatsawn maple necks (literally the only differences, with ebony vs rosewood being a matter of preference).

Not saying they're not as great as reputed, but several other models are (almost) every bit as good, with some models (especially JDM) being arguably better (soloist archtops, for example)

On that note, Grover Jackson Soloist Customs were produced until 1993 (plus a few in 1994) - the JDM equivalent of the Professional Pro. No difference what so ever, besides the neck contour where it meets the body, and a top-mounted rather than recessed trem - both of which I personally prefer. More reasoning that the Professional Pro is overhyped compared to other models.

Comment

Here are mine - each of which could be considered a "grail" guitar for mine (except the Charvel SDK which I sold not too long ago).
                                With several great and rare soloist archtop models, I'm unsure why it's the 750XL that has boomed in price in recent years - is it the fact that they are actually the least rare of all MIJ soloist archtop-type guitars from that era, and ther availability provides enough momentum to make prices rise? I mean, come on people, I've purchased two USA soloist archtops for around the same price as what you could get a 750XL for in the past couple of years.
                                Also, the Soloist Jr. (white, pictured between 750XL and Charvel SDK) has essentially the same specs as the much-hyped Soloist Professional Pro: quartersawn maple neck, ebony board, originally came with JE-1200, etc.

Last edited by Jr.; 02-11-2022, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X