Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson bolt-on neck, factory painted black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson bolt-on neck, factory painted black?

Anyone ever heard of a bolt-on Jackson that came with a black painted neck? In particular a 24 fret, shark fin inlay, rosewood fretboard, inline 6, no binding, painted neck.
    Last edited by turbocharged110; 07-13-2021, 06:21 PM.

The COW6 and COW7 (Christian Olde Wolbers 6 and 7 string) are close to what you want, but they had ebony fretboards and no inlays.

Painted bolt-neck production model Jacksons are extremely rare to see, so if there are others besides the COW models, I missed them.

Comment

Interesting, how about non-production?

Comment

If by "non-production" you mean custom pieces built to any specification, then a guitar that matches all your desired specs could possibly exist or be ordered by anyone.

Comment

Do I remember a Guitar Center Rhoads .... red logo

Comment

Guess I'm not giving enough detail as to why I'm asking. I'm building a guitar based on a DKMG body that I already have and found a new-old-stock (never installed, no drilled holes anywhere) neck. It is 24 fret, shark fin inlays, no binding, rosewood fretboard, normal pointed inline-6 headstock, routed for locking nut...and is painted black. Basically identical to the KE3 neck I have been looking at except painted black and brand new. It doesn't have any marking/stickers indicating where it is made, hence my question about what possible model it could have come from.

Comment

Here are some pictures of it...

Comment

So I rolled the dice and bought this neck not knowing a whole lot about it, so we'll see how it ends up.

Comment

I did see a couple bolt on's recently on reverb and the bay that had a painted neck. I was wondering about that as well. They were not COW models, so I just figured someone wanted a painted neck and did it at home.
                  Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

There have been a few models through the years that got painted, bolt-on necks. The JJP (Jackson Junior Paul) also had a bolt-on, painted neck, but with dot inlays. https://reverb.com/item/2908286-jack...hop-1997-black
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
                      I did see a couple bolt on's recently on reverb and the bay that had a painted neck. I was wondering about that as well. They were not COW models, so I just figured someone wanted a painted neck and did it at home.
                      Yep. I got this off reverb. This is the guy story when I asked the origin of the neck. Not sure if it’s true or not but it looks like a decent neck so I figured why not give it a try.

I got a bunch of necks and bodies from a friend who got them from a fender where house that closed in Ontario California.
                      I bought a bunch of stuff off of him. I sold a couple of necks that had a made in Japan sticker but some of these had no stickers so I’m not to sure where they are made. As far as never mounted allot of these necks were for one off/prototype guitar that were never made I had a few wiered jackson body’s that had electronic configurations that were not produced.

Comment

I got the neck in the mail today, and I'm pretty happy with it. There are a few places where there is some slight clear coat bubbles/delamination on the side of the fretboard, and the frets need to be polished, but not bad to my eyes. Measured the thickness at 18.8mm (0.740") at the 1st fret and 21.3mm (0.838") at the 12th fret. Feels very much like my DKMG neck shape but slightly less flat "D-shaped) at the fretboard. It's slightly lighter in color than my DKMG neck but with a much more pronounced grain pattern.

Here is an album to all the pictures of it. Curious to hear what you all think.

https://imgur.com/gallery/z1krkX0
                        Last edited by turbocharged110; 07-17-2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

That's a nice looking neck, and even the pearloid material for the inlays looks very good. I'm still stumped about its origins, but it does look authentic.

Keep posting updates on the guitar build!

Comment

Thanks. I hate not knowing where the neck is from but as long as it plays nice then who am I to complain.

I'll probably post up a new thread documenting the build. Currently collecting all the parts.

Comment

Found another bolt neck that is factory-painted, but it still doesn't match your neck.

This is the JS34 DKA in silver burst.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson...op-JS34-DKA.gc

Comment

Working...
                              X