No announcement yet.

Help with USA Charvel Floyd height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very different angle than the other pic's.. But that soloist with the OFR is pretty freaking high
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I tried to shoot photos with the angles straight-on, as evidenced by the low E string mostly blocking the view of all the other strings behind it.

The neck on the Shannon Soloist is angled appropriately for the bridge to be that high. Look at the bottom photo where the binding doesn't cover the area of the neck under the 24th fret as the fretboard almost forms a shallow ramp as it meets the neck pickup. That guitar has the lowest action out of everything I own and I like that the bridge still has plenty of leeway to go down if I needed to. On at least one of my Floyded guitars with zero neck angle (specifically one of my Edge-equipeed Ibanez RG570s) I've already fully lowered the trem posts and run out of leeway, but the action is still slightly high for my preference, with the only remedy for that guitar being to shim the neck slightly and raise the Edge to meet the new string angle.

Complaints about one's picking hand bumping into the nearby volume knob (as is typical on many superstrats) are negated when the bridge is high and your hand clears the top of the volume knob, but the volume knob is still nearby when needed.

I think the bridge height on my Les Paul is even higher and thus the neck "ramp" angle is even more steep.

I recognize I'm in the minority, but for my comfort, I find that the higher the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        I tried to shoot photos with the angles straight-on, as evidenced by the low E string mostly blocking the view of all the other strings behind it.

The neck on the Shannon Soloist is angled appropriately for the bridge to be that high. Look at the bottom photo where the binding doesn't cover the area of the neck under the 24th fret as the fretboard almost forms a shallow ramp as it meets the neck pickup. That guitar has the lowest action out of everything I own and I like that the bridge still has plenty of leeway to go down if I needed to. On at least one of my Floyded guitars with zero neck angle (specifically one of my Edge-equipeed Ibanez RG570s) I've already fully lowered the trem posts and run out of leeway, but the action is still slightly high for my preference, with the only remedy for that guitar being to shim the neck slightly and raise the Edge to meet the new string angle.

Complaints about one's picking hand bumping into the nearby volume knob (as is typical on many superstrats) are negated when the bridge is high and your hand clears the top of the volume knob, but the volume knob is still nearby when needed.

I think the bridge height on my Les Paul is even higher and thus the neck "ramp" angle is even more steep.

I recognize I'm in the minority, but for my comfort, I find that the higher the better.

No worries bro. I can't stand a low bridge myself because I setup my guitars with a mil action at the 12th fret and when you are that low everything is in the way.
        My USA So Cal wasn't as high as any of the five model six's I've owned though nor was the Charvel re-issue San Dimas, wish I had saved that one though. again no offence or judgement meant
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

yeah put me in the same of angled necks + bridges up off the body being preferable, as opposed to the bridge being all sunken in to the body, which forces your wrist into a certain angle which is not always optimal.

Comment

Working...
          X