No announcement yet.

Help Identify this please,CX???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen those around on Ebay from time to time. They seemed to switch back to that logo at some point but I don't know when. Charvel catalogs from the late '90s early 2000s are hard to find. I question if that's the original trem because of the size of the route. Also I'm not sure if that's the original neck plate due to no serial#. Charvels serials from that era are typically on the neckplate with model on the headstock. Could be a mutt. Looks nice though.

Comment

Also you may want to take the neck off. Sometimes the model is stamped in the neck pocket and/ or on the heel of the neck.

Comment

I've had it apart and there is nothing in the neck pocket the trem route seems to be original as far as the paint continues into it. The absence of serial number and a model number or any other identification is what confused me. I have several charvel and they all have somthing to identify, but not this one and other than a replacement volume pot it all looks stock. It is great to play smooth action and very little noise. I have yet to find another one with that headstock and older logo without having a series callout on the tip. Also when I took the neck off everything seemed untouched.

Comment

Looked to me like a CX391, but they usually identify the model on the headstock, and they usually had white pickups and pickguard. https://www.guitar-list.com/charvel/.../charvel-cx391

http://charvelusa.com/charvel_models...92_models.html
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert shredder View Post
            I've had it apart and there is nothing in the neck pocket the trem route seems to be original as far as the paint continues into it. The absence of serial number and a model number or any other identification is what confused me. I have several charvel and they all have somthing to identify, but not this one and other than a replacement volume pot it all looks stock. It is great to play smooth action and very little noise. I have yet to find another one with that headstock and older logo without having a series callout on the tip. Also when I took the neck off everything seemed untouched.
            Looking at the link toejam posted the bridge should be a JT-580 not the schaller style that is on it. Which would explain the gap between the locking bolts and the end of trem route. Like he said it looks like a CX391. I wonder if they changed the logo at some point before they stopped making that model. I just won an auction for a CSM-1G from Goodwill which has that headstock and logo. No clue on the year, so I know they used that logo at some point with that headstock. The CSM series isn't listed on the site toejam posted though. I can find almost no info on them. They did have the model on the headstock though. This ones tough.

Comment

Right, it is a tough one, it has all the components to be a CX 391 except it has the old logo. That's why I wonder if it was a pre production model somewhere between the CSM-1G and CX series. I believe the CSM was a japan only release. The search continues. Lol. I will be replacing the trem to the correct one, so if anyone has one or knows of one I'm in the market.

Comment

Razor, what imgur app is it that you use? I have tried 3 different ones and non of them have what I'm looking for. One is just funny stuff , the others I can send but only to a text or messenger
                Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                Website. Not app.
                *Remember, we are old. We use websites on computers. Not apps on devices.

Also, in a worst case scenario - just give us the link, so we can visit the site instead of looking at the images here.
                pianoguyy is right. I chuckle when I'm asked how I do something and I tell them I'm using the computer not a phone app. Happens fairly often to my wife who's trying to buy something using her Iphone or Ipad. She'll be raising a million dollars worth of hell about "this doesn't work" and I'll ask her if she tried it on the computer. It never fails. It always works on the computer.

Pictures do work now by the way. I've seen a few of them over the years.

I figure it's a CSM or CX series like you suspect. Some of them had the model name spelled out on the head stock. I sold a CSM-1G a long time ago but it had a vintage tremolo.

They normally don't pull big money. They're Made in Japan but I've always assumed the lack of a pointy head stock makes them less desirable. I see more non-Floyded ones so I'd give that one a slight bump in value due to the Floyd and hard shell case.

Here's the last Floyded CX I saw go off auction. It brought a premium IMHO especially considering it didn't have a hard case.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/123214522

Here's a CSM-1G on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/40631501-cha...ge-1980s-white

Another CX that's been listed on eBay for a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12302675172...0AAOSw73NarXJ5

And another CSM-1G

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31349734346...wAAOSwP8Rge0BL

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                  Also you may want to take the neck off. Sometimes the model is stamped in the neck pocket and/ or on the heel of the neck.
                  This is solid advice too

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

pianoguyy is right. I chuckle when I'm asked how I do something and I tell them I'm using the computer not a phone app. Happens fairly often to my wife who's trying to buy something using her Iphone or Ipad. She'll be raising a million dollars worth of hell about "this doesn't work" and I'll ask her if she tried it on the computer. It never fails. It always works on the computer.

I much prefer to do thing on the computer. To the point that even though I could do something right then on my phone I'll just wait and do it wheb I get home on the computer.

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                    Another CX that's been listed on eBay for a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12302675172...0AAOSw73NarXJ5
                    I almost bought that CX multiple times to steal the neck off of. I have a Pro Mod neck on a partscaster but I just haven't jelled with it like I thought I would. I want a non pointy preferably strat head that feels like a Jackson from the professional series era. I was hoping since they are from the same time period they would feel more like I wanted. I ended up winning a CSM-1G on Goodwill that's had a headstock repair. I have a plan I hope works to turn it into a strat head using part of the headstock from a broken neck fron a Chinese Charvel copy I have.

Comment

R. I will be replacing the trem to the correct one, so if anyone has one or knows of one I'm in the market.
                      There is a JT-580 on Ebay. Most of them are the JT-580LP's. If it were me and it was one I was going to keep since a FR fits in a JT-580 route I'd put an actual Floyd Rose on it. If you want chrome I think you can build a 1000 series out of parts on their website for about $160. Unless you are just wanting it to be all original.
                      Parts – tagged "1000 Series" – Floyd Rose

Comment

I found a jackson trem I believe it's a 580, needs some love but I have parts it seems to be missing. I'm still puzzled by the lack of a model/ series on the headstock. It is closest to the cx 391, however people say those are heavy and this is quite light compared to my 86 model 2. Oh well it is whatever it is currently a guitar in limbo.

Comment

Henrik's site still has the tremolo info on it. Good reading especially on older original tremolos.

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

Comment

Came across another CX-391.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5350970413109/

Comment

That is some good reading, lots of information.

Comment

Working...
                              X