Period-correct Bridge Pickup for 80s Jackson Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period-correct Bridge Pickup for 80s Jackson Charvel

Hi - I have an original mid-80s San Dimas-made Charvel that I love - love the way it plays and the pickups.

I don’t like to play it because it has some issues (scarf split, trem post crack), so I found a similar era Jackson for actual playing.

BUT, I need to replace the bridge pickup in the Jackson and want it to sound like the mid-80s Charvel I grew up with. What pickups should I be looking for in that pre-japan era?
    Last edited by J K; 06-10-2021, 03:42 PM.

Here’s a pic of the 80s Charvel

Comment

could have been anything
      but Jackson did have their own pickups - such as the J50 J80 and J90

Last edited by pianoguyy; 06-10-2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        could have been anything
        but Jackson did have their own pickups - such as the J50 J80 and J90
        Thanks. The ones in the pink Charvel seem really hot, so maybe I should start with the 90. Didn’t realize the different levels all came with ceramic versions. I’ll check the Charvel again to see the markings.
        Last edited by J K; 06-10-2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

It's really hard to beat a J80c or J90c IMHO. I love the J80c in my 3DR and I love the J90c's in my Predator and Model 2. Can't go wrong with either one IMHO.

Comment

the j50b sounds great too if that's your thing. definitely not what you want if you're looking for a hot pickup.

awesome charvel! any pics of the jackson?

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
              the j50b sounds great too if that's your thing. definitely not what you want if you're looking for a hot pickup.

awesome charvel! any pics of the jackson?
              The more I play my Model 4 the more I appreciate the tone of the J50BC. You're right it's definitely not hot like the J80c and J90c.

Comment

Working...
              X