Can someone identify this New Jackson soloist Guitar from 1987

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone identify this New Jackson soloist Guitar from 1987

My friend just purchased this Jackson soloist 1987 and its in beautiful condition almost new.Whats odd is the color glows in the dark which is cool and I cant find any other photos of this model online of this color and 2 humbuckers.What is up with the glow in the dark is this some kind of custom shop guitar?

Last edited by Steve k; 04-01-2021, 10:46 AM.

lots of guitars glow

Comment

Originally posted by Steve k View Post
      My friend just purchased this Jackson soloist 1987 and its in beautiful condition almost new.Whats odd is the color glows in the dark which is cool and I cant find any other photos of this model online of this color and 2 humbuckers.What is up with the glow in the dark is this some kind of custom shop guitar?
      Every guitar back then was "some kind of custom shop guitar".
      There were no production models until later.

Comment

some glow in the dark
        others shine in the light

Comment

If you have a pic you'll need to use a site like imgur and then copy the link here.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

he tried. but it didn't work.
            you can see his link if you quote his post. I couldn't correct it to get the image to appear.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson
                never seen a toggle on an eighties soloist before, doesn't mean its not though. this is an 88 usa soloist

It is clearly a mid 80s (86-88 era).
                But you are correct in the sense that HSS and 3 toggles were the norm

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	88 USA Custom outside.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2543361 Click image for larger version

Name:	88 usa soloist custom.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	2543362

never saw a toggle selector on an early eighties but that doesn't mean anything, everything was custom at that time ( from the USA) this is an 88 USA soloist
                  I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve k View Post
                    Mine is called.... I believe they used the term phosphorescent?
                    Either way, they called it green. I assume because the glow was green.
                    It is clearly yellow during the day. Yours looks far less yellow, almost like an aged white /cream. The tag should say what color it is.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

right, i didn't say it wasn't.. its rocking as well
                      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

i thought all 86 and before looked like this. with kahlers of course this is a strat from 86

Name:	DSC00091.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2543366 Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY2922.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2543367

Comment

1986 was definitely considered a Kahler year.
                          But, as often happens, changes don't start on January 1 or end on December 31.

Comment

1987-onwards, at least from the Charvel Model Series perspective, would be "correct" for the JT6 trem.

Man, what a find!

It would just be called a Soloist Custom. This would contrast with a Soloist Student. For that era, "Custom" and "Student" denote the level of trim but had equivalent build quality.

Custom = ebony fretboard, MOP sharkfinlays, and bound neck/headstock.
                            Student = rosewood fretboard, MOP dot inlays, and unbound neck/headstock.

Of course, there was a lot of variation, because as the users above me established, everything American-made (before the introduction of the 1990 USA production models) was considered one-off, custom-made, and made-to-order. But your guitar easily fits into the Soloist Custom parameters.

Just don't go calling it an SL2H. The SL2H designation didn't exist until 2000 and denotes very specific specifications. One of my pet peeves is seeing users on Jackson-related Facebook groups calling a pre-1996 HSS Soloist as an "SL1" and a pre-2000 HH Soloist as "SL2H". It's even worse when those users actually owned 80s Jacksons and should have been aware of era-correct names!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                              1987-onwards, at least from the Charvel Model Series perspective, would be "correct" for the JT6 trem.

Man, what a find!

It would just be called a Soloist Custom. This would contrast with a Soloist Student. For that era, "Custom" and "Student" denote the level of trim but had equivalent build quality.

Custom = ebony fretboard, MOP sharkfinlays, and bound neck/headstock.
                              Student = rosewood fretboard, MOP dot inlays, and unbound neck/headstock.

Of course, there was a lot of variation, because as the users above me established, everything American-made (before the introduction of the 1990 USA production models) was considered one-off, custom-made, and made-to-order. But your guitar easily fits into the Soloist Custom parameters.

Just don't go calling it an SL2H. The SL2H designation didn't exist until 2000 and denotes very specific specifications. One of my pet peeves is seeing users on Jackson-related Facebook groups calling a pre-1996 HSS Soloist as an "SL1" and a pre-2000 HH Soloist as "SL2H". It's even worse when those users actually owned 80s Jacksons and should have been aware of era-correct names!
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	101_2028.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	2543379

this would be a SL2H select, just because of trans body and headstock. can't really see the flame in the pics but you can see my copperheads

Name:	101_2024.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	2543380
                              Last edited by john.w.lawson; 04-02-2021, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X