Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heel Truss Rod Mod (Charvel TMZ Natural Custom Shop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heel Truss Rod Mod (Charvel TMZ Natural Custom Shop)

Hey, guys, been a really long time (over a decade I believe) since I've posted here. Good to be back. Anyways, I recently purchased one of the Music Zoo Charvel Custom Shop Naturals after wanting one for years...so far, it's everything I had hoped for. The neck is absolutely heavenly. However, its truss rod nut is located at the heel, which is a pain. I've been seeing where some people mod the neck so that a spoke style wheel adjustment nut can be fitted (seems like some older Charvels even have this mod already done...see Warren Demartini's Charvels for example). What needs to be done to do this? Do the Charvels have the same type of slotted truss nut as vintage Strats? Would the Stew Mac wheel spoke style truss nut be a direct replacement?

Or better yet, would it be easier to just take off a bit of the overhang from the fretboard to allow a tool like these to fit in there?

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...-tools/wrenches/truss-rod-crank-for-tele.html

For reference, here is the guitar:

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by waylay00; 03-30-2021, 08:21 PM.

I can't speak for all guitars, but my 'truss at the heel' charvel could use that tool.
    Whether you go with the tool or the wheel, you need to carve something - be it the neck or the body.

Comment

When I switched to a Charvel Pro-mod neck that has the wheel on my partscaster I had to route an area in the body to clear the wheel. I would think if the truss rod is the allen key type that will accept the wheel adjustment nut that you will have to route a clearance for it in both the neck and the body.

Comment

As pretty as that guitar is I think I would set it up proper, and see how well it stays put. I would hate to deface it and find it never needed adjustment again any ways. I have many guitars with heel adjust and only adjust them when changing string gauges or tunings.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
          As pretty as that guitar is I think I would set it up proper, and see how well it stays put. I would hate to deface it and find it never needed adjustment again any ways. I have many guitars with heel adjust and only adjust them when changing string gauges or tunings.
          I agree. I have one of these guitars from that run in 2006. Haven’t touched it in years, just pulled it put and the neck relief is fine.

waylay00, did you get the hang tag? It should reference the number TMZ0XX. That TMZ number is also stamped on the rear of the headstock at the ball end. Hard to see, you may not even notice it unless you know where to look.

Comment

Though I did mention the possible need to route the neck and body like others have said I have guitars I haven't touched the the truss rod on in years. Since most of mine rarely leave the house it seems the truss rod is mostly set it and forget it. I agree taking the neck of to adjust the truss rod is a pain but if it's a one time pain maybe it's not worth the modification.

Comment

Originally posted by waylay00 View Post
              Hey, guys, been a really long time (over a decade I believe) since I've posted here. Good to be back. Anyways, I recently purchased one of the Music Zoo Charvel Custom Shop Naturals after wanting one for years...so far, it's everything I had hoped for. The neck is absolutely heavenly. However, its truss rod nut is located at the heel, which is a pain. I've been seeing where some people mod the neck so that a spoke style wheel adjustment nut can be fitted (seems like some older Charvels even have this mod already done...see Warren Demartini's Charvels for example). What needs to be done to do this? Do the Charvels have the same type of slotted truss nut as vintage Strats? Would the Stew Mac wheel spoke style truss nut be a direct replacement?

Or better yet, would it be easier to just take off a bit of the overhang from the fretboard to allow a tool like these to fit in there?

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...-tools/wrenches/truss-rod-crank-for-tele.html

For reference, here is the guitar:

Many thanks in advance.
              I wouldn't change anything! Setups when done properly are not "easy" anyway. You adjust one thing, it throws out most everything else. Bridge intonation, ect.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I'd be wary about routing to put the wheel adjust in there. As others have said, I'd try and live with it as is after a proper setup, and see how it does.

Comment

Working...
                X