Rhoads V awkward to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads V awkward to play?

Does anybody else find the Rhoads V shape awkward/ hard to play? I don't have a Jackson it's actually a Kramer Focus 4000 which is a Rhoads copy. I had a Jackson Stealth neck on it for a while but was thinner than I like so I have another Kramer neck on it now( the original neck is thicker than I like). The neck isn't my issue though. It just seems harder to play than my Dinky or strat bodied guitars. I kick around selling it all the time and the only reason I haven't is it looks cool hanging on the wall. Most times I play it I just don't feel like I gel with it. Sell or keep? If I sell it'd most likely be to fund an LTD EC-256.

If you don't like it I would vote that you sell it.

I find all pointy body guitars awkward to play compared to strats, teles, and guitars that have a nice cutaway for cradling on a leg... but I also think the Rhoads V and resting the "V" of the guitar on the right leg puts the neck in a nice playing position.

Comment

I don't typically sit down in front of people. So, no, a V is not odd to play.
      You may need to readjust the strap button. You may need to readjust the jack.
      But, for the most part, they are very ergonomical.

Comment

the star might be one of the few "radical" shapes which is comfortable to play (so long as the strap is balanced right if you're standing up). kind of baffling to me why the demand is so low and not one manufacturer makes a production star anymore, besides signature models.

Comment

The Star and other X shape (Warrior/Xiphos/Stealth/ML sort of) feels great yeah, works both for regular and classical style as well.

I think Rhoads is ok sitting down, but its less comfortable than the King V and other symmetrical V. The bigger wing gradually tilts back, while the regular V lower wing fits nicely under your leg

Comment

I think I almost like it better sitting down. Even though it seems to hang balanced standing it always feels like I'm sort of holding the neck up when I'm standing and like my hand is in the wrong spot.

Comment

The Rhoads is very comfortable while standing or sitting. When sitting, just put the lower wing between your legs classical style. I actually prefer the offset Rhoads body compared to a full-sized V.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

On the other hand, my Carvin with the long wing on the bottom - it was much less of a balancing act. Gravity and all that. You know.... SCIENCE!!!

Comment

I spend most of time playing sitting down. I've had a couple of Rhoads V's along the way and I found them uncomfortable to play. I always wanted one as I'm a huge Randy fan but just never could find a way to shift it that felt comfortable to me. Maybe after my years long hiatus I should try one again but I doubt anything has changed. I tried like hell to make myself want to keep the two I had but just couldn't find a comfort zone 15 years ago.

One of these days I'd like to snag a Kelly as they look like they'd be comfortable to play. I've avoided Jacksons since I've gotten back in to guitar as I just don't care for the thin wide necks so it's been mostly Charvel's for me. I did pick up a Sully Conspiracy Raven and it's comfortable to play sitting but I'm still getting used to the thin wide neck on it. The reality is that I'm just a 22 fret neck kinda guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                    I spend most of time playing sitting down. I've had a couple of Rhoads V's along the way and I found them uncomfortable to play. I always wanted one as I'm a huge Randy fan but just never could find a way to shift it that felt comfortable to me. Maybe after my years long hiatus I should try one again but I doubt anything has changed. I tried like hell to make myself want to keep the two I had but just couldn't find a comfort zone 15 years ago.
                    This is kinda where I'm at. At this point if I keep it, it's mostly for wall art, but as they say it ain't eating anything. Every time I mention selling it my daughter says but that's the cool looking one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                      Every time I mention selling it my daughter says but that's the cool looking one.
                      sounds like reason enough to keep it!

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

sounds like reason enough to keep it!
                        Funny thing is she's not even into metal. More boy bands like Why Don't We or 5 Seconds of Summer. Heaviest she gets might be some Green Day if I play it in the car. Oh well at least she knows what guitars look cool. She's not a Fender strat fan. Though super strats like Jackson are ok. More Tele's and Les Pauls.

Comment

V's, king v's,, kelly's, warriors are all uncomfortable in a sitting position, unless you have them strapped. That's just my opinion.

Comment

Here I thought I was the only one that had trouble with playing Kellys while sitting.

Comment

Here I thought I was the only one that had trouble with playing Kellys while sitting. RR's, I feel very comfortable with while sitting or standing.

Comment

Working...
                              X