Left handed Jackson/ Charvel Fusion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left handed Jackson/ Charvel Fusion?

Hey did they make a left handed version of any of either the Jackson or Charvel Fusion guitars? I've always wanted a reverse headstock Jackson but now that I've fell in love with these Fusion guitars I don't want to add another 25.5 scale to my collection. So my current dream guitar would be a Fusion with a reverse headstock. I've never seen one in the past couple years that I've been paying attention. Thought I could steal the neck off of a lefty model if they exist and one ever came up for sale. I think it's within my ability to add the side marker dots and I can live with an upside down logo.

I would email Warmoth they have fender 24.75 conversion necks. probably could do Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
      I would email Warmoth they have fender 24.75 conversion necks. probably could do Jackson.
      I have thought about contacting them. I have a Fusion body so I don't think I need a conversion neck but one of their 7/8's necks which is 24.75" scale and 24 frets may work, except it has the wrong headstock and heel width( though I guess I could shim the heel). I think I would need them to build me one of their 7/8's necks with a their reverse arcade headstock and a 2&1/4" heel. Doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.

Here's a potentially crazy idea but if it didn't work I'd ruin two necks. Since set or neck thru guitars get headstocks broken off and successfully repaired. Couldn't one( or a good luthier) cut the headstock off of a fusion and replace it with a Dinky Reverse?

Comment

If you cut 2 necks in exactly the same place, they would be a little shorter but could be glued back together and have 2 bastard necks. to do it correctly how ever would be to cut them at the scarf joint, thus would ruin a neck and be quite a project to save the finger board.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
          If you cut 2 necks in exactly the same place, they would be a little shorter but could be glued back together and have 2 bastard necks. to do it correctly how ever would be to cut them at the scarf joint, thus would ruin a neck and be quite a project to save the finger board.
          I was thinking of cutting them just behind the nut. Of course the truss rod adjustment is sort of in the way but it doesn't contact anything on that side so you'd end up with a headless neck with the truss rod adjuster sticking out. Then glue the other headstock on. I've seen dowels used so that may be a good idea.

Ok after a little googling it may be better to cut at an angle starting on the back of the neck at the 1st fret and ending just behind the nut creating a sort of scarf joint and a means to clamp the two together during gluing. This would also leave the fretboard untouched. Working around the truss rod seems like the hardest part initially.

Don't worry before I potentially destroy a Fusion neck if I was to seriously consider this I would pick up a couple of cheap guitars from Goodwill's site to perfect the process on.
          Last edited by Dak; 02-12-2021, 01:24 AM.

Comment

reversing the head stock you may have angle alignment issues if you cut the head stock outside of the nut the way Charvel headstocks are shaped. This also would not leave much area to glue. To cut an angle from under the first fret to out side the nut will give you 2 visible scarf joints, but I don't guess that would hurt.

Comment

what about de-gluing the scarf joint, if we're talking about ruining necks? then you wouldn't end up with a shorter neck after regluing.

Comment

I bet it would be near impossible to unglue that joint, with out ruining the neck.

Comment

I've searched some about ungluing that joint with no luck. Some glues release with heat like what's used on the fretboard but what's used on the scarf joint I'm thinking may not.

Comment

While on Reverb I stumbled upon a catalog scan that was in the pictures of a Grover Jackson guitar model FU.IG-37. Which was their version of the Fusion. If I understand right these were Japanese market Jacksons. Built in the same factory as the Professional series. Anyway on that scan was a FU.P-70 with Ash or Mahogany body and FU.A-48 with a poplar body. Both of these had reverse headstocks. So there was a Japanese market Fusion with a reverse headstock. I think watching for one of these on Ebay/ Reverb would be a better option than this headstock replacement talk I started.

Comment

So I called Warmoth. They think they could do a 7/8's neck with a reverse arcade headstock but not the 2&1/4 heal width of the Jackson. During our conversation he said that even though the Fusion is 24.75 scale like the 7/8. The 7/8 still may not work with the Fusion. Reason being even though it's not a conversion neck it still starts from a 25.5 scale blank so it may only work with their 7/8's body. I have to measure from the neck pocket to the bridge saddles and get back in touch with them. If the measurement is the same then other than the heel width it would work. If no it's a no go.

Comment

Ok, I talked to Warmoth again. Their 7/8's is 6&1/4" from the heel/neck pocket to the saddles and and the Fusion is 6" to 6&1/8" to the saddles. Of course this on a non intonated bridge. In short I'd have to move the mounting posts to use their bridge. At this point saving my money up and watching Ebay/ Reverb for one of those Grover Jackson FU. models to show up would be my best bet.

Comment

Well I have another potential solution. I think by pulling the frets and filling them and then re-slotting for new relocated frets you could convert a 22 fret 25.5" scale neck to a 24 fret 24.75" I put a 22 fret neck on my fusion deluxe body and measured it and it looks like it would intonate. The Fusion fretboard is about 1/16" longer but I think there is just enough room to get that 24th fret on there. I think there were some JS series with 22 frets and reverse head stocks. Of course I'd also have to remove and fill the old dots and add new ones of my choice.

Comment

Reviving this thread because I picked up a JS30 off of Ebay to use as a donor for the neck. I don't know the year as I haven't pulled the neck off yet. Played it a little and I think though different than the Fusion's back profile it will work. Neck is straight but the nut needs shimmed so I can set up the action as low as I like to really to really try it out. There are two options. #1 do as I mentioned and remove and fill the frets and re-slot the fretboard or option #2 remove and replace the fretboard with a 24.75" replacement fretboard. Problem is the ones I've found are 12" radius so I'd have to get a radius block or two and either change it to a straight 14" or 16" or attempt to do a compound radius. They also don't have nut slots wide enough to add the Floyd shelf. At least what I've found so far, but they do have 24 frets. Both options are for a purely cosmetic reason, but I don't mind a project to tinker on and I wanted to learn to fret anyway as I have a couple guitars that could use a re-fret.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                              Reviving this thread because I picked up a JS30 off of Ebay to use as a donor for the neck. I don't know the year as I haven't pulled the neck off yet. Played it a little and I think though different than the Fusion's back profile it will work. Neck is straight but the nut needs shimmed so I can set up the action as low as I like to really to really try it out. There are two options. #1 do as I mentioned and remove and fill the frets and re-slot the fretboard or option #2 remove and replace the fretboard with a 24.75" replacement fretboard. Problem is the ones I've found are 12" radius so I'd have to get a radius block or two and either change it to a straight 14" or 16" or attempt to do a compound radius. They also don't have nut slots wide enough to add the Floyd shelf. At least what I've found so far, but they do have 24 frets. Both options are for a purely cosmetic reason, but I don't mind a project to tinker on and I wanted to learn to fret anyway as I have a couple guitars that could use a re-fret.
                              I'll be interested in seeing which way you go on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X