Older Jackson neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, thanks.

I've been doing a lot of online digging, and it does appear that there are a lot more Strathead woodburn necks than pointys. I have seen a few mentions of them in various threads, enough to know that they were definitely a thing, but they are not common. All mentions say they were well made and feel great, but specs appear to vary somewhat.

I do know mine is a very comfy feeling neck.

Originally posted by AIC70 View Post
    I have one identical to yours - pointy with woodburn stamp, thicker rosewood slab. Although mine has a blank face with a Jackson MIU logo on it. I have only ever seen one other - all the rest are strathead woodburns. Now I know of three pointys.

Comment

The thing to remember about going to "various" forums ----
      much like you, it is typically the same person unsatisfied with the answer on one forum going to another forum to find an answer.
      So, basically, what you are seeing as numerous people is actually one person posting numerous times.

Comment

So we have reports of necks with woodburned logos, mostly strathead, a few pointy.

What we do not have is a definitive answer for “where do these necks come from”. These necks seem to be rare. What no-one has shown is that these necks were sourced from Charvel/Jackson.

Do we have any Charvel/Jackson price sheets that has a “replacement neck” on them? Do we have any catalogs with replacements necks in them? Do we have any documentation to show that these necks with woodburn were used on assembled Charvel/Jackson guutars?

Charvel history does mention Charvel replacement necks with woodburn on the heel... during the pre-pro years. The woodburn was not a logo, it the company name and address. This also predated the Jackson brand by a number of years.

What we have is a small handful of unknown/unverified actors on the internet reporting something that there is no official record of. It is real, but we do not know what it is.

These necks could be counterfeits. They could also be manufactured by Charvel/Jackson back in the day. We do not have a smoking gun either way. There is some wishful thinking going on thay because 4-5 other people on the internet have the same neck that we can declare them as authentic Charvel/Jackson. I personally think they would be more prevalent if they were real Charvel/Jackson parts.

Perhaps we could send Grover himself an email with pics to see if he mght be able to shed some light on the authenticity of these necks.

Last edited by CaptNasty; 11-30-2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I have found numerous price lists and catalogs that mention replacement necks, but have no pics in them of said necks.

I have found several ebay and reverb sales of such necks with Stratheads
          I have found numerous mentions, with pics, online (including in this forum) of such Strathead and Pointy necks. I have two posters here in this thread, and several threads in this forum, verifying the replacement Pointys as a thing, with pics and descriptions that match the one I have.

Also, I have the neck itself, which exhibits all the hallmarks of being an authentic Jackson.

But, I guess I have nothing that absolutely verifies it. And, I'd like it verified, either way. I like facts.

Personally, I would welcome further clarity, and if an email to an accepted authority or two would clear it up, I'm all for it.
          I'd even pull the neck from the guitar, remove the shims, and take additional pics.
          Let's do this.
          Last edited by wraub; 11-30-2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

They are legit. Ask any of the oldtimers on the board - not sure who is left. Jim Shine still has some strat woodburns. Toejam maybe? Woodburn necks were made for a couple years.I think it was Mike Shannon building some guitars on the side. Just do a search here.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
              So we have reports of necks with woodburned logos, mostly strathead, a few pointy.

What we do not have is a definitive answer for “where do these necks come from”. These necks seem to be rare. What no-one has shown is that these necks were sourced from Charvel/Jackson.

Do we have any Charvel/Jackson price sheets that has a “replacement neck” on them? Do we have any catalogs with replacements necks in them? Do we have any documentation to show that these necks with woodburn were used on assembled Charvel/Jackson guutars?

Charvel history does mention Charvel replacement necks with woodburn on the heel... during the pre-pro years. The woodburn was not a logo, it the company name and address. This also predated the Jackson brand by a number of years.

What we have is a small handful of unknown/unverified actors on the internet reporting something that there is no official record of. It is real, but we do not know what it is.

These necks could be counterfeits. They could also be manufactured by Charvel/Jackson back in the day. We do not have a smoking gun either way. There is some wishful thinking going on thay because 4-5 other people on the internet have the same neck that we can declare them as authentic Charvel/Jackson. I personally think they would be more prevalent if they were real Charvel/Jackson parts.

Perhaps we could send Grover himself an email with pics to see if he mght be able to shed some light on the authenticity of these necks.
              Yes, we do have a definitive answer. If you read my post I have sold a couple of them. I even sold one to Lee at GMW in the mid 90's. They were available on the price list. What do you want for proof??? A invoice from 30 yrs ago??? Proof was that they have the pics with the Jackson logo burned into the heel, and the catalogs have them listed in the price sheets. Just accept the fact and move on

Comment

Originally posted by MPI View Post

Yes, we do have a definitive answer. If you read my post I have sold a couple of them. I even sold one to Lee at GMW in the mid 90's. They were available on the price list. What do you want for proof??? A invoice from 30 yrs ago??? Proof was that they have the pics with the Jackson logo burned into the heel, and the catalogs have them listed in the price sheets. Just accept the fact and move on
                I have no idea of who you are. You have made a claim with zero backup. Are we supposed to trust your 30 year old memory on your word alone?

What catalogs/pricelists are you referencing? Could it be BoogieBodies you are thinking of? There are references on the record to BoogieBodies producing these necks... with woodburn logos. This would also explain the lack of logo on the headstock.

So yeah, a catalog or pricelist would be awesome and more reliable than the word if some random internet guy who is not very active on this site.

The emotional outburst does not bolster your assertions btw.
                Last edited by CaptNasty; 12-03-2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

See if any info is here.
                  Search Result - JCFonline.com

Why someone with 'almost 40 years of playing Jacksons'. yet STILL hadn't heard of woodburn necks wants to be so negative is a mystery.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

And, since civility has been slipping among certain members:

Why, CaptNasty, have you decided to be pianoguyy's lapdog?

Have EITHER of you seen 1 iota of support from any longtime members recently?
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

You have no idea who I am, well I don't know who you are. Zero backups, what do you want for proof, I don't know to many dealers that kept invoices from 30 years ago. There are pictures on this site of the necks. I don't know many people that would get a Jackson logo cut out of steel, to wood burn a neck, to pass it off for a C/J. These aren't UFO's they're a hunk of wood. Several people have commented that they are legit, again with pics. As far as asking Grover, he was out of Jackson when they were selling the pointy replacement necks. Catalogs... Dealer price list 1/01/86...10 page printed price list Maple was $200 Rosewood $210 and Ebony $250 1 5/8 0r 1 3/4 width 2 3/16 butt The points came out in 89 iirc
                      As far as "the emotional outburst" You come across as someone that thinks they know almost everything on Charvel/ Jackson, or if you are not holding the guitar, it doesn't exist.
                      For the rest of the people here to gain some knowledge, back to our regularly scheduled discussion

Comment

dont mind the other conversation. Its made in the ontario california airport drive facility. probably made as a spare/replacement in 1988. Grover did sell replacement necks of course for bolt on guitars and put the woodburn on them. the approx date of sale is on the heel. nice neck... common for people to get thier hands on if you lived in california in the 80s

Comment

JacksonPyro, MPI, AIC70, Mudlark-
                          Thanks for the info.

It matches what I have found on this forum and others, lots of mentions and pics. I do deep research for fun, just knowing the term "woodburn" helped greatly. There are too many items that indicate it's authentic, and too few disputing it.

It also is a very well made thing, and a simply great feeling guitar neck. The slab board looks to be a quarter inch thick, just amazing.
                          It is the most comfortable guitar neck I own, and one of the best feeling necks I have ever played. I'm impressed.

The truss rod will need a wrench I don't have, the nut is small and clearance is tight around it... I have a lot of small sockets but none will fit. Is 7mm the correct size wrench to order?

JacksonPyro- the date on the neck is 10/2/91, if that tells you anything.

Thanks, again.

Comment

Not sure of the wrench size. Just try different Allen wrenches. It's nothing out of the ordinary....

Comment

Well I mean I spent a few years restoring a few of these guitars...search up bassaxeworks...some liked me some hated me...ive had prob 40 woodburn necks over the years...prob 15 pointys...theyre legit they were sourced as replacements back in the 80s/90s. You can argue all you want but documentation from the era was spotty at best because well these werent built to be museum documented collector pieces any more than muscle cars were built to be rust proof perfect aligned pieces to be held and not driven...get my drift...you can chase the provenance if youd like and im sure you can find it with the right effort...

FWIW I ran a small online store and ran through my hands approximately 1400 jackson and charvels during that time frame. I have a fair idea of what im talking about and im one of the "semi old timers" I guess..
                              Haters gonna hate
                              Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
                                Well I mean I spent a few years restoring a few of these guitars...search up bassaxeworks...some liked me some hated me...ive had prob 40 woodburn necks over the years...prob 15 pointys...theyre legit they were sourced as replacements back in the 80s/90s. You can argue all you want but documentation from the era was spotty at best because well these werent built to be museum documented collector pieces any more than muscle cars were built to be rust proof perfect aligned pieces to be held and not driven...get my drift...you can chase the provenance if youd like and im sure you can find it with the right effort...

FWIW I ran a small online store and ran through my hands approximately 1400 jackson and charvels during that time frame. I have a fair idea of what im talking about and im one of the "semi old timers" I guess..
                                thanks for the info. so, I'm just curious, how were these necks acquired? would customers order them from j/c direct? would dealers put an order into j/c on behalf of the customers? or would the dealers buy and stock them to sell later?

I've also seen info claiming these necks were (at least at one point) "warranty only" meaning you had to send in a broken neck to get a replacement. that seems like fishy to me and I almost regret repeating it since you see the woodburns mostly on mutts, but what do I know.

Comment

Working...
                                X