Jackson 7 strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson 7 strings?

Sorry, I can't decide which forum to put this in. I've been on an old Savatage kick (power of the night, gutter ballet, etc) and some of their best songs are tuned down a full step then drop C from there.

My question is this - would a 7 string be a possible way to deal with this tuning? I know the lowest string is tuned to B, so it wouldn't be perfect. I'm debating between re-setting up a guitar to be down a full step then drop to C, or getting a 7 string and tuning it up.

I don't know, just using a 6 detuned seems like the better solution, but maybe some of the 7 string guys here have some experience or input?

Drop C is a pretty standard modern metal tuning, you wouldn't need a 7 string for it.

Comment

so the main problem would be that there isn't a lot of variety of 7-string string sets. most are either .009-.052 or .010-.056 or some approximation thereof. a .052 or .056 would work out pretty good for the low C string, but the higher strings would be way too tight (IMO) because they'd be a step-and-a-half higher than the normal BEADGBe tuning they were meant for. so your only real option for the set-up you're describing on a 7-string would be to buy a 6-string string set which works well for drop-C (of which there are plenty) then buy a single extra string for the high g string (something like an .0085 might work okay). pretty newfangled. I'd just get the 6-string.

Comment

apparently my post didn't go live the other day. if I remember correctly, it was user error, not site issues (this time).
        Nor am I going to type it again. But, basically, I echo what was said above - tuning up would put too much tension on the neck.

Maybe you could get a baritone scale guitar, and use a capo instead of tuning up. But, I say just do it the way it was done - 6 strings tuned down.

*just be aware that certain tremolos don't allow proper intonation of thicker (probably tuned lower) strings.

Comment

Just down tune a 6. Set up for D then maybe up a gauge for the low C. I use 11s.

The 7 stringers come in handy starting with B standard and lower because you’re already there. I sort of think of seven strings as two guitars in one, a B standard but also a regular E standard on top.
          Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
          My collection also there!

Comment

I would just go drop C. The fingering can get pretty funky if there is stuff on the low strings. It will just be easiest to do it the way it was done.

if it aint broke, don't fix it.
            2014 Jackson KEXMG - Gloss Black with Seymour Duncan Black winter
            Charvel Desolation Star DST-1 - Transparent Black
            Epiphone "1958" Korina Explorer - Ebony

Peavey 5150 II
            Peavey Valve King 4x12 Slant Cab

Comment

I play in drop C all the time, using 10-52s. Didn't need to do any setup work apart from re-balancing the Floyd

Comment

Cool. Thanks guys. For now I'll just stick with what I've been doing (standard turning but drop C) and when I have some free minutes I'll go ahead and dedicate one guitar to being tuned down a full step with 11s

I appreciate all the input!

Comment

Working...
                X