Hardshell gig bag"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardshell gig bag"?

I just saw this on Jackson's accessory page. The name is a bit confusing. And since there is no way to get more info by clicking on it, I thought I'd ask here. I am considering buying a 5 string Jackson bass, but I have no faith in gig bags. I once owned an official gig bag, and it did fuck all to protect the bass inside it. I can't just order one and then not buy it, nor is my nearest store gonna automatically stock them.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Looks like a soft exterior with foam inserts:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...0PMw&gclsrc=ds

Comment

Depends on the gig bag. I don't go out of my way to buy them, but if they come with a guitar I want, then I'll accept the gig bag and maybe sell off the worse ones later and keep the better ones. Some are flimsy and akin to the protective power of several burlap sacks layered together. Others have an inch of foam padding lining the interior. The gamut for gig bags is pretty wide, with plenty of lousy ones and several "specialized" ones.

I don't yet own any cases like this, but I noticed similar "softshell cases":

1) The ones accompanying Ibanez's Premium line of guitars (except they have molded interiors instead of "generic swimming pool cavities" seen in the Jackson one above);

2) SKB's line of Soft Cases (https://www.skbcases.com/music/produ...=75&limit=13);

3) TKL's line of Zero-Gravity cases (https://www.tkl.com/products/21221-t...-guitar-case);

4) Gator's line of Transit Lightweight cases (https://www.gatorcases.com/transit-l...-guitar-cases/).

I can't remember where I read the following info, but I'll try to summarize from memory as best as I can:

This style of case is intended to bridge the gap between a gig bag and a hardshell case. With the soft exterior of a gig bag and the structured interior of a hard case, it has the reduced weight and portability aspects of a gig bag, with the interior protection and support of a hard case. OK, that's the marketing side and the niche this type of case is intended to fill.

The most interesting feedback I read was that it was superior to a traditional hard case concerning minor bumps, because the combination of soft exterior and shock-absorbent interior help to dissipate much of the impact force.

Contrast this to a traditional hard case where a minor bump would cause the shockwave to resonate through the hard exterior shell of wood or plastic, and if the interior is not molded to the guitar and instead is a "generic swimming pool cavity", the guitar has the potential to shift inside the case and collide against its interior.

I'm not 100% convinced of this theory/hype because of two reasons:

1) Flight cases have rigid exteriors (metal) and they're probably the toughest, most protective cases available;

2) Softshell cases / hard gig bags are cheaper than traditional hardshell cases. If they were more effective than traditional hardshell cases, they would be more expensive.

I would use a softshell case / hard gig bag exactly like I would use any of my existing, generously-padded gig bags: For lightweight transport around a city where a traditional hardcase would be heavy, cumbersome, or awkward. When I go out buying guitars that don't come with cases, I bring along one of my gig bags, and take home the guitar in that gig bag. I'm careful to avoid hard impacts, but the soft exterior and cushioned interior help to dissipate minor bumps with hallways, tight corners, furniture, doors, my car, etc. I would behave the same if I took along one of these hardbags.
      Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-07-2020, 10:32 AM.

Comment

There are some very good bags, and some very shitty cases. So, yes, I can see some bags being better than some cases.
        But, at the same time, the opposite is true - there are bags that are nothing more than a vinyl slip cover and cases that can withstand a grenade.

Personally, unless you are buying from a place like Jackson, I wouldn't buy a bag without seeing it. Internet descriptions are a joke, which is why you have to trust the source. Especially considering that you can pay $150 for a bag and $50 for a case.

But let's make sure we understand this:
        No gig bag, no matter how good, is going to protect your guitar if your van overturns on the freeway and an amp falls on top of it.
        There are cases that will, but no bag.
        However, considering that most people need a case that is going to protect a guitar from a cat jumping on it or from a pot hole, bags are fine.

===============================================
        I have seen some of these case bags. I even have/had a few. And they are really nice.
        I wouldn't put my USA Jackson in one. I don't even know if I would put my MIM Charvel in one. But, they are nice alternatives to cases - particularly for cheaper guitars where it makes no sense to spend $400 on a case case.

===============================================
        The downside to these things is - they take up just as much room as a case. It's not like you can fold them in half to save space. Nor can you "compress" them to save space.
        Also, most of the time my guitars are standing up. Not a problem. But sometimes they need laid down flat, and stacked on top of each other. You can't put a hard bag/soft case in the middle of the pile. It would need to go on top.
        And depending on the design of a specific bag, I would still be concerned about the headstock, tremolo, and the points of a V. But I have those same concerns with some cases.
        Last edited by pianoguyy; 08-07-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

can anyone tell me if the jackson branded leather backpack is full grain leather or top grain leather?

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            The most interesting feedback I read was that it was superior to a traditional hard case concerning minor bumps, because the combination of soft exterior and shock-absorbent interior help to dissipate much of the impact force.
            yeah, i'd also be highly skeptical of that without some evidence

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

yeah, i'd also be highly skeptical of that without some evidence

I can believe it. It is science stuff.
              But, again, remember that all HS cases are not created equal. So, obviously, we are talking about 'lesser' cases and minor bumps. Not really comparing against good cases with major falls.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

I can believe it. It is science stuff.
                But, again, remember that all HS cases are not created equal. So, obviously, we are talking about 'lesser' cases and minor bumps. Not really comparing against good cases with major falls.
                sure, a softshell case can have some benefits especially when you're taking price into account. but is the best softshell case ever better than the best hardshell case, even when only examining minor bumps? I'll answer that with another question: have you ever seen a soft motorcycle helmet? i'd reckon that a guitar and a human head have about the same order of magnitude of fragility when it comes to both minor bumps and major falls.

Comment

but a piece of foam is going to get hit on one side and the other side won't move.
                  unlike a piece of wood which, if it gets hit, the other side also shifts.

Comment

So, bottom line is, is the soft bass case Jackson have on their website just as good as an SKB case? And no prices? I can't get a response from my nearest dealer at all. Its so annoying.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

https://www.thomann.de/fi/jackson_gigbag_bass.htm
                      This what you talking about? I find it weird that it is 50 euros here in europe compared to sweetwaters 99 dollars.

I doubt it is as good as an SKB hardshell case.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                        https://www.thomann.de/fi/jackson_gigbag_bass.htm
                        This what you talking about? I find it weird that it is 50 euros here in europe compared to sweetwaters 99 dollars.

I doubt it is as good as an SKB hardshell case.
                        Seriously? Wow! That's a huge difference. Maybe Thomann took on a massive stockpile of them, now that those basses with pickguards are in Jackson's catalogue?

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...mah/2916644657

This happens to be the one i'm considering... unless a Warrior bass suddenly materialises! (Yeah right).
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                          So, bottom line is, is the soft bass case Jackson have on their website just as good as an SKB case?

While I know that some of these bags are nice. I would never compare them to a decent case.
                          But, as I said further above - they are better than some of the cheaper cases, and are fine for typical usage.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

While I know that some of these bags are nice. I would never compare them to a decent case.
                            But, as I said further above - they are better than some of the cheaper cases, and are fine for typical usage.
                            the sweetwater link in this thread indicates the jackson softshell soloist case has a design flaw in that it doesn't provide ample clearance for the tiltback headstock thus not providing adequate support on the neck. sounds pretty major. no idea if it would affect the bass case as well.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

the sweetwater link in this thread indicates the jackson softshell soloist case has a design flaw in that it doesn't provide ample clearance for the tiltback headstock thus not providing adequate support on the neck. sounds pretty major. no idea if it would affect the bass case as well.
                              So, really the answer is "no, get an SKB hardshell case, even if it heavier". The only option left is to buy a generic hardshell case and fit a polystyrene cutout inside it.
                              Last edited by wilkinsi; 08-09-2020, 02:25 AM.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                              X