• Show
Clear All

• alessandroarzilli
    replied
    Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
    @ed

I did a cleaning similar to alessandroarzilli when he did his KE3
    but I did not take the pups out.
    Glad I helped you and community with my videos. Always remember to be veeery sparing and soft with any degreaser/sanitizer, as you never know how a 20yo finish could react, it's always a great idea to start from a hidden point/section, like the edge inside the tremolo or wire cavity.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    @ed

When I tuned it, it sounded really nice!! The PO had 10ga on, but I prefer 9.
    I did a cleaning similar to alessandroarzilli when he did his KE3
    but I did not take the pups out.

Thanks for letting me know some switches can pop like that.
    My other DK2, Ibanez, and HM Strat didn't do that, but theses are the
    only guitars I have.
    I have heard about a " quack " on Fender Strats at
    2 & 3, but I have never heard it personally.

Leave a comment:

• ed
    replied
    Some switches are poppy like that but offcourse it could be something with the wiring if its only between 2 3 positions. Also the tech could just slap the floyd in there without messing with action, relief and all that good stuff maybe even floyd saddle radius. Also there could be fret polishing and maybe fretboard cleaning and whatnot.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
    without stating the obvious....

how else is he going to install a new trem without doing a setup

Truth said

Check frets, neck, pups, and selector, and input jack.
    There was a pop sound swithching between 2 & 3 position.
    It sounded like plugging in a cord with the amp on.
    He said he would use some De Oxit and check the soldering.

Leave a comment:

• pianoguyy
    replied
    without stating the obvious....

how else is he going to install a new trem without doing a setup

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    I took it to a shop to get an Original Floyd Rose on
    Monday. He's going to do a Full Set Up while he's got
    it.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Hmmm
    Thought I could finally post pics.
    My mistake.
    Sorry, Mods.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    I understand what you are saying pianoguyy .

As Forums go, I am in 2 car, and 2 guitar Forums.

I am really glad to have been accepted on JCF.
    I am confident that due to the Passion and History
    expressed here, that I can't err too much without getting Truth and Correction, Advice, and Criticism.

The ABSOFREAKINLUTELY BEAUTIFUL guitars here are a Testament of All JCF that you folks care about the instrument and reputation.

JCF is IMHO at The Top!

Last edited by JJ119; 09-14-2020, 10:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pianoguyy
    replied

I seem to get caught up reading and a couple vids about it.

the thing to always remember about the internet (other than it being a cesspool) is the fact that it is where the whiners go to be heard. And then it repeats, most of the time by the same person, other times by bots.
    For example - is this the only forum you belong to?
    Joe belongs to a dozen. Every time the topic of Widget A comes about, he tosses out "I had such a horrible experience". So, that is 12 different sites, some with multiple instances of Joe saying "Widget A sucks". Plus, people quote his post to make a comment.
    So, when you toss it into google, what do you see - 100 hits sayings "avoid Widget A" --- all from Joe.

Now, we have someone like you, who is looking for information, and you have come to this forum repeating the "Widget A sucks" line.

Yes, that is the internet in a nutshell.

Far different than the real world.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Nicely said pianoguyy

Personally I have never talked to anyone having issues with a FRT.
    I seem to get caught up reading and a couple vids about it.

Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• pianoguyy
    replied

But then there's materials used. Some folks say Licensed means pot metal unless
    the Trem was made 1996 or earlier [ Tokaie?? ] .

Hogwash

While true, some trems are made "on the cheap", most of the problems people have with FR tremolos are user error. It's just far easier to maintain the "I am an expert" facade when you have a phantom to blame your problems on - like cheap metal.

Licensed means -
    My company is not Schaller, but I want to use (at least some of) the Floyd Rose patented design. (I will try to find a video I had seen that explains it better than I could in print)

Yes, if you are buying a licensed trem on a $200 guitar, it is probably some cheap metal. Think about it - you can buy 'good' trems for more than that entire guitar. They had to cheapen something somewhere, otherwise the profit margin would send them into bankruptcy.
    But, on the other side of the equation, I had a Carvin who had a licensed Floyd Rose, which I would say was probably the best trem ever.
    It was... a Carvin design of a Kahler design of a Floyd Rose design.
    It started as a FR (as they all do). Kahler licensed the usage of the patent and made a few changes to the design. Carvin then took the Kahler version and made a few changes.
    My dumbass self sold the guitar but didn't take the tremolo off first.

spelling = Tokai

Another big one is Takeuchi. A fantastic parts manufacture. For example, most Jackson players loved the Takeuchi. Yet, Ibanez has loads of complaints about Takeuchi.
    It basically boils down to 2 things. First, the aforementioned user error. But the other is - these companies make what they are told to make.
    If you call a fantastic company (WMI, Tokai, Takeuchi, Samick) and you tell it to make a fantastic product, it will. But, if you tell them to make a product that can be made for $10, they will. It isn't their fault that a company wanted to sell a guitar for $200 that had an FR trem on it.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    I have been using Googlefu also. There are a few JCF threads pop up.
    There was a thread at Strat Talk, and the OP was referred to JCF.

There is a lot out there about the different designation or names for what
    seems to be the same thing.
    But then there's materials used. Some folks say Licensed means pot metal unless
    the Trem was made 1996 or earlier [ Tokaie?? ] .

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Thank You CaptNasty for the links!

I have been going back & forth between
    Floyd, GOTOH, and Schaller sites getting screenshots of the dimensions.

Leave a comment:

• CaptNasty
    replied
    metalhobo

@CaptNasty

I think I may be replacing the Trem & Nut. I see there are different dimensions.
    There is a Burnt Chrome 1000, Chrome 1000, and Chrome OFR that I have an eye on.
    Right off, I don't remember which has 74mm , 73.9mm , or 74.03mm stud mount Center To Center but that's just off my bad memory right now.
    There was a 1000 SE but the only thing written about it said
    " Wide "
    There were no other descriptions, dimensions, or Finish Options.

I did not see any Chrome Pro for sell, but I got Information Overload just looking around.
    You can find all of the dimensions of the FRTP100 here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/17...93857680416961

FRTP1000S: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/17...75728071674932

FRTP100 product page: https://floydrose.com/collections/tr...nt=29837633554
    Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-12-2020, 11:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    metalhobo

@CaptNasty

I think I may be replacing the Trem & Nut. I see there are different dimensions.
    There is a Burnt Chrome 1000, Chrome 1000, and Chrome OFR that I have an eye on.
    Right off, I don't remember which has 74mm , 73.9mm , or 74.03mm stud mount Center To Center but that's just off my bad memory right now.
    There was a 1000 SE but the only thing written about it said
    " Wide "
    There were no other descriptions, dimensions, or Finish Options.

I did not see any Chrome Pro for sell, but I got Information Overload just looking around.
    Last edited by JJ119; 09-12-2020, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X