Where To Look For Good Used Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to my knowledge, there are no tools designed to work on these
    you need to do it the old fashioned way - unstring, adjust, tune, unstring, adjust, tune. repeat as needed. (completely worth the $100 to have someone else do it)

you can try some of the tools, just because they aren't designed to work... they may work.

Comment

pianoguyy
      Thanks for that Speedy Quick reply!
      I'll give it a try.

I think I will do a detailed cleaning like alessandroarzilli did on his.

Thanks Again!!
      Last edited by JJ119; 09-11-2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
        Well it came yesterday. Opened her up this evening.
        Eerie Dess has got to be seen In Person. Pics do no justice!

I will take a stab at this and say the Chrome Trem is a JT580LP.

How The Funpack does the Intonation get set???
        I'll look at the YouTube tomorrow. I had seen how to use The Key and Skyscraper things, but this Trem is not like those in the vids.

Seller sent it with 10 gauge strings on it.
        The lock nut screws and caps need rehab // replaced. 2 screws are bugged at the last 3 threads. The caps have Rail Road tracks worn into them. Maybe some 600 grit wet sandpaper can get them out.
        I'll take the 1 good screw to Ace Hardware and see if they have some.

The only Allen Wrench I have that is usable fits the
        Lock Nut. What sizes do I need for the String Blocks and Intonation screws?

This guitar was taken care of, but also played a lot!!
        I have The Key, the Skyscraper tool, and this:
        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Red Bishop tool is the best of the three in my opinion.

The Key is a mess it gets at angles and shifts around. I preferred the old loosen, move, retune, test approach to The Key.

The Skyscraper is better, but it can still shift and pop out occasion and is a little awkward to adjust. A vast improvement over The Key though.

The Red Bishop tool is solid IME. It grips the saddle and I have had no problems with it shifting or coming loose during intonation.

The Skyscraper and the Red Bishop should be able to work with the JT580LP since they anchor against the whale tail and the saddle. The Key uses the string retainer bolt and the whale tail as the anchors and that would not work on the JT580LP. The Red Bishop would work better on a JT580LP because the angle of the whale tail grip is adjustable.

Red Bishop also has three models. They make a version for Floyds without fine tuners that I got for my Charvel GG: https://redbishop.jp/EN_ACCU-LOCATOR_series.html

The Floyd Rose Pro requires a 2mm, 2.5mm, and 3mm wrench. Not sure if the JT580LP uses the same wrench sizes.

If you start thinking of a swap, a Floyd Rose Pro should be a drop in replacement. It will ride a little offset, but the clearance is there and it will work: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ct.htm#jt580lp
        Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-12-2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

but does it fit the block slot?

I used {i don't remember what tool} on {i don't remember what trems}. I got it to work on all of them. But if it wasn't designed to work on a specific model, it had issues.

*as example - I remember that the Edge Zero II had limited range. I could only move it point X. Had I used a different string gauge and needed to move the saddle farther, I would have been out of luck.
          Last edited by pianoguyy; 09-14-2020, 03:21 AM.

Comment

I have "The Key" for adjusting the intonation on my Original Floyd Rose trems and it works well. Will not work on Schallers. I don't know if it will work on other Floyd styles.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...s/the-key.html
            Last edited by Razor; 09-12-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

it'll take a year to remove the grooves in the string clamp with 600 grit sandpaper. if you're against replacing them with new ones, it would be best to start with a bastard cut file and work your way down the successive sandpaper grits until you get a nice polish, being careful to not have any burrs at the edges.

though, I would only replace/repair the clamps if you're having string breakage or tuning/slippage issues at the nut.

also... pics!
              Last edited by metalhobo; 09-12-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

metalhobo

@CaptNasty

I think I may be replacing the Trem & Nut. I see there are different dimensions.
                There is a Burnt Chrome 1000, Chrome 1000, and Chrome OFR that I have an eye on.
                Right off, I don't remember which has 74mm , 73.9mm , or 74.03mm stud mount Center To Center but that's just off my bad memory right now.
                There was a 1000 SE but the only thing written about it said
                " Wide "
                There were no other descriptions, dimensions, or Finish Options.

I did not see any Chrome Pro for sell, but I got Information Overload just looking around.
                Last edited by JJ119; 09-12-2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

metalhobo

@CaptNasty

I think I may be replacing the Trem & Nut. I see there are different dimensions.
                  There is a Burnt Chrome 1000, Chrome 1000, and Chrome OFR that I have an eye on.
                  Right off, I don't remember which has 74mm , 73.9mm , or 74.03mm stud mount Center To Center but that's just off my bad memory right now.
                  There was a 1000 SE but the only thing written about it said
                  " Wide "
                  There were no other descriptions, dimensions, or Finish Options.

I did not see any Chrome Pro for sell, but I got Information Overload just looking around.
                  You can find all of the dimensions of the FRTP100 here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/17...93857680416961

FRTP1000S: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/17...75728071674932

FRTP100 product page: https://floydrose.com/collections/tr...nt=29837633554
                  Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-12-2020, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Thank You CaptNasty for the links!

I have been going back & forth between
                    Floyd, GOTOH, and Schaller sites getting screenshots of the dimensions.

Comment

I have been using Googlefu also. There are a few JCF threads pop up.
                      There was a thread at Strat Talk, and the OP was referred to JCF.

There is a lot out there about the different designation or names for what
                      seems to be the same thing.
                      But then there's materials used. Some folks say Licensed means pot metal unless
                      the Trem was made 1996 or earlier [ Tokaie?? ] .

Comment

But then there's materials used. Some folks say Licensed means pot metal unless
                        the Trem was made 1996 or earlier [ Tokaie?? ] .

Hogwash

While true, some trems are made "on the cheap", most of the problems people have with FR tremolos are user error. It's just far easier to maintain the "I am an expert" facade when you have a phantom to blame your problems on - like cheap metal.

Licensed means -
                        My company is not Schaller, but I want to use (at least some of) the Floyd Rose patented design. (I will try to find a video I had seen that explains it better than I could in print)

Yes, if you are buying a licensed trem on a $200 guitar, it is probably some cheap metal. Think about it - you can buy 'good' trems for more than that entire guitar. They had to cheapen something somewhere, otherwise the profit margin would send them into bankruptcy.
                        But, on the other side of the equation, I had a Carvin who had a licensed Floyd Rose, which I would say was probably the best trem ever.
                        It was... a Carvin design of a Kahler design of a Floyd Rose design.
                        It started as a FR (as they all do). Kahler licensed the usage of the patent and made a few changes to the design. Carvin then took the Kahler version and made a few changes.
                        My dumbass self sold the guitar but didn't take the tremolo off first.

spelling = Tokai

Another big one is Takeuchi. A fantastic parts manufacture. For example, most Jackson players loved the Takeuchi. Yet, Ibanez has loads of complaints about Takeuchi.
                        It basically boils down to 2 things. First, the aforementioned user error. But the other is - these companies make what they are told to make.
                        If you call a fantastic company (WMI, Tokai, Takeuchi, Samick) and you tell it to make a fantastic product, it will. But, if you tell them to make a product that can be made for $10, they will. It isn't their fault that a company wanted to sell a guitar for $200 that had an FR trem on it.

Comment

Nicely said pianoguyy

Personally I have never talked to anyone having issues with a FRT.
                          I seem to get caught up reading and a couple vids about it.

Thanks!!

Comment

I seem to get caught up reading and a couple vids about it.

the thing to always remember about the internet (other than it being a cesspool) is the fact that it is where the whiners go to be heard. And then it repeats, most of the time by the same person, other times by bots.
                            For example - is this the only forum you belong to?
                            Joe belongs to a dozen. Every time the topic of Widget A comes about, he tosses out "I had such a horrible experience". So, that is 12 different sites, some with multiple instances of Joe saying "Widget A sucks". Plus, people quote his post to make a comment.
                            So, when you toss it into google, what do you see - 100 hits sayings "avoid Widget A" --- all from Joe.

Now, we have someone like you, who is looking for information, and you have come to this forum repeating the "Widget A sucks" line.

Yes, that is the internet in a nutshell.

Far different than the real world.

Comment

I understand what you are saying pianoguyy .

As Forums go, I am in 2 car, and 2 guitar Forums.

I am really glad to have been accepted on JCF.
                              I am confident that due to the Passion and History
                              expressed here, that I can't err too much without getting Truth and Correction, Advice, and Criticism.

The ABSOFREAKINLUTELY BEAUTIFUL guitars here are a Testament of All JCF that you folks care about the instrument and reputation.

JCF is IMHO at The Top!

Last edited by JJ119; 09-14-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Hmmm
                                Thought I could finally post pics.
                                My mistake.
                                Sorry, Mods.

Comment

Working...
                                X